OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK

Scott

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

The OP was headlined under sensationalism, by "trashy" woke journalism, yet the body of the article was illegal immigration by economic migrants as opposed to bona-fide war torn refugees.

How hard is that to fathom by a Scholar?

Your retreat to the use of ‘trashy woke journalism’ is noted.

I wonder, on what basis did the ECHR intervene?

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220615-how-did-a-europe-court-halt-britain-s-rwanda-deportation-flight

Here’s the best bit, this failed policy is costing millions.

It’s amazing how easily the promise of a bit of cruelty to others can sucker some into supporting such predictable waste of money. 

The scheme doesn’t work but makes you feel good to see someone less fortunate than yourself being subjected to the vindictive use of power. 

I’ll take the ‘woke’ any day over such vile nastiness.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, proton said:

The simple point is one that even you should be able to understand, is that if the UK is so racist etc, why are so many paying thousands to traffickers to get in there illegally? From countries not at war like Albania, and coming from France, a safe country -but without the handouts.

That wasn’t a ‘simple point’ it was a ‘simplistic point’.

There’s a far from subtle difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Simple test that just occured to me - and it is directed at YOU, the members of AN.

I have a German Passport. This forum is English speaking. That means that the majority of the members are either British, American - maybe some Australians (rare, but some very nice chaps) and a very very few Danish, Swedish etc. - but lets say the vast majority is either British or American. That's for sure not far from the truth.

Ask yourself: Does the factor that I am German affect you in any way while communicating with me ? (WWII related or just out of the blue). Nobody has ever met me in person (most probably). Think honestly about it. I cannot help but saying that there might have been some influence from some answers (or no answers) - at least I suspected that. Sort of prejudice on my part ? Maybe. Over-sensitivity ? Maybe. Actually there is no need to answer - it is only a kind of invitation to self reflexion fitting the topic.

Not at all, your English is better than that of most Brits on the forum.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 6:22 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Always wrong, whoever is ‘doing it’.

If one person states that people from one race need to work twice as hard as people from another races to achieve their goals , is that considered to be racist . (taking into consideration the conditions are the same for both , hours worked, salary and work done)

• Thanks 1

The term racism etc is like ketchup and can be liberally poured on virtually everthing. 

The fact is that it has become a pavlovian response where people who don't like some outcome cry out "racism" knowing that they like Pavlov's dogs will get the public outcry drooling. 

When you peel back the veneer, it is exactly the groups crying xenaphobia or racism who receive not equal treatment but special treatment.  They have become so use to getting this special treatment that should they encounter any situation in life not to their liking they immediately fall back on the charge of discrimination.  

The fact is in life not everything is fair and the vast majority of unpleasant incidents in ones life are not the fault of racism but rather a persons own decisions.  The while male entertainer who does not get a role has no excuse to fall back on.  The minority female entertainer who does not get the role blames it on discrimination.  It is far easier or more mentally pallitable to blame discrimination that face the reality that you just were not that good.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If one person states that people from one race need to work twice as hard as people from another races to achieve their goals , is that considered to be racist . (taking into consideration the conditions are the same for both , hours worked, salary and work done)

I don’t have the foggiest idea why you are singling me out to discuss this hypothetical situation you’ve dreamed up.

Your question is any case ambiguous.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

The term racism etc is like ketchup and can be liberally poured on virtually everthing. 

The fact is that it has become a pavlovian response where people who don't like some outcome cry out "racism" knowing that they like Pavlov's dogs will get the public outcry drooling. 

When you peel back the veneer, it is exactly the groups crying xenaphobia or racism who receive not equal treatment but special treatment.  They have become so use to getting this special treatment that should they encounter any situation in life not to their liking they immediately fall back on the charge of discrimination.  

The fact is in life not everything is fair and the vast majority of unpleasant incidents in ones life are not the fault of racism but rather a persons own decisions.  The while male entertainer who does not get a role has no excuse to fall back on.  The minority female entertainer who does not get the role blames it on discrimination.  It is far easier or more mentally pallitable to blame discrimination that face the reality that you just were not that good.  

Oh, so racism doesn’t exist then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Paul Catton said:
  23 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We have evidence here.

People looking to be offended over the a discussion of factual racism in the UK.

Hi kwilco,

Your post is a little too cryptic for me, perhaps you would elaborate for clarification.

To what "list" in my post are you referring to?

Glad you love  my wording choice of "faux outrage" now in triple form.

What exactly is in denial?

And lastly, #15, is this a reference to a bus route, meal on a menu, queue number for immigration?

It has me beat.

Kind regards

Paul 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1274600-othered-how-racism-xenophobia-and-religious-discrimination-were-woven-into-the-fabric-of-the-uk/?do=findComment&comment=17668555

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Within moments of Britain getting a non white Prime Minister Brits start posting racist memes here on this forum and elsewhere.

Tell me again how racism is woven into British society.

I must have missed that and just to clarify , which posters posted racist memes and what was the general gist of what they said ?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Hi kwilco,

Thanks for the provision of a link to a post of yours, makes a little bit more sense now.

Will peruse at leisure and provide feedback. 

Your quite a cracker.

Kind regards

Paul

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Looking through the posts on this thread it is easy to see “How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK” and who those who contribute to it are.

Seems there is a lot of "Faux outrage" that needs to be called out. Fifteen times now?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Paul Catton said:

Hi kwilco,

Thanks for the provision of a link to a post of yours, makes a little bit more sense now.

Will peruse at leisure and provide feedback. 

Your quite a cracker.

Kind regards

Paul

Its one of those trick questions.

Whatever answer you give , you will get the same conclusion  .

If you answer all the questions , then the conclusion is that you are a racist , there is no other option . 

Like, If I accuse you of being a racist and you deny it , that is proof that you are a racist , if you don't deny it and don't want to talk about it, again, that means you are a racist .

There is only one conclusion to the questions : You are a racist

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its one of those trick questions.

Whatever answer you give , you will get the same conclusion  .

If you answer all the questions , then the conclusion is that you are a racist , there is no other option . 

Like, If I accuse you of being a racist and you deny it , that is proof that you are a racist , if you don't deny it and don't want to talk about it, again, that means you are a racist .

There is only one conclusion to the questions : You are a racist

Academician failures spouting bull excrement for validity seems to be the "soup du jour"

Married to an Asian 1/4 Chinese by descent, I must be Xenophobic!

Liverpool born, Liverpool bred, Thick in the arm and thick in the head, must be my role in life.

However, back in the day, racism wasn't on our radar back then, struggling classes were all together regardless of ethnicity trying to provide a meal for ones family.

Would elaborate further, however I have a real job to get up for tomorrow, so sleeping time calls.

Kind regards

Paul  

• Thanks 1

It has been said - "there is stupid, stupider and racist" - 

It seems some people have failed to either read or understand the post with the list

"Here's a litmus test for you......

Tropes and clichés used by racists …..

............ 1 to 30 .......

If you can tick any one of these, you are probably racist."

There are limited inferences to be drawn from this - but others seem to want to interpret it is ways it cannot be interpreted

56 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It has been said - "there is stupid, stupider and racist" - 

It seems some people have failed to either read or understand the post with the list

"Here's a litmus test for you......

............ 1 to 30 .......

If you can tick any one of these, you are probably racist."

There are limited inferences to be drawn from this - but others seem to want to interpret it is ways it cannot be interpreted

You ticked at least one of those boxes , and so that means that you are probably  a racist 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You ticked at least one of those boxes , and so that means that you are probably  a racist 

I think you have lagged behind in your understanding of this topic and now you seem to have resorted to vague ad homs?

Your bizarre literal interpretations, naivety and inability to understand allegory in peoples' posts are putting you outside the stream of the topic, which is, I remind you, "How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK" - All this makes you increasingly look like a classic example of this. I won't ask you to follow up as I find discussing this matter with is just pigeon chess.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

I think you have lagged behind in your understanding of this topic and now you seem to have resorted to vague ad homs?

Your bizarre literal interpretations, naivety and inability to understand allegory in peoples' posts are putting you outside the stream of the topic, which is, I remind you, "How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK" - All this makes you increasingly look like a classic example of this. I won't ask you to follow up as I find discussing this matter with is just pigeon chess.

Coo.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

This thread is focussed on how racism is woven into the fabric of the UK and many of the respondents are British or have experienced life in the UK.

Anyone who grew up in the UK in the period from the late forties through to the late 80s will have been introduced to racist views and thinking. Racism in the UK over that period was openly and often casually expressed.

Its a period during which overtly racist political organizations formed and were openly aligned with violent racist gangs.

Skinheads ‘bashing’ Pakistanis, racist violence at public events, racist chants at league football games, bananas thrown at Black sportsmen, Asian businesses targeted by racist gangs.

These are historical facts.

But there was also the less extreme but insidious casual racism, racist jokes told and laughed at, not just privately but in media too.

Racism was for decades an overt background in British society.

It is facile to deny this racism was real and that it has a lingering presence in the minds of people who grew up in the UK through those years.

So yes, everyone has some elements of racism in their thinking, some recognize this and deal with it, some deny it but it’s still there, and some nurture it, looking for any and every excuse to vent their hate on foreigners, migrants, refugees, asylum seekers .

Refer the pejorative views towards these groups by a small number of members in any and all threads that in anyway address these subjects. 

And if a thread isn’t about foreigners, migrants, refugees, asylum seekers, this same small numbers will frequently take the discussion off topic in an attempt to make it so.

Absolute tosh unless you were ensconced in a village with bigotry entrenched.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Absolute tosh unless you were ensconced in a village with bigotry entrenched.

Like I said, Paul, ‘It is facile to deny this racism was real and that it has a lingering presence in the minds of people who grew up in the UK through those years.’

Along you come to prove me right.

• Like 1

Dear Kwilco, 

Have time on my hands and wish to discuss your generic list.

here's a litmus test for you........

1.     Saying someone’s playing "the race card"

People do try and use a "race card" when you call out their offensive behavior outside of acceptable behavior from the local established community

2.     Dismissing an individual who brings up race / culture in a discussion

Any culture or race can be dismissed by an individual espousing representation for the same.

Think Osama Bin Laden

3.     Use of the concept of “other” (we/them syndrome)

Other is a valid word in the dictionary, It reinforces that their is a concept against True/False 

4.     Stereotyping of an entire nationality.

Stereotypical humor is the best background that breaks down barriers.

5.     “I married one, so I can’t be racist, can I?”

I have married one, Opal's welfare is foremost in all my thoughts

Stop using generic lists from a website and compile one from your own perception.

Kindest regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Like I said, Paul, ‘It is facile to deny this racism was real and that it has a lingering presence in the minds of people who grew up in the UK through those years.’

Along you come to prove me right.

Dear Chomper.

Likewise, I say from 1962 to Present Day, The UK has always progressed and been a progressive inclusive society.

I never saw racial divisions in Merseyside, perhaps Scousers are different. 

My Aunty Barbra was married to a West Indian back in the late 1950's, Black as the "Ace of Spades" was "Uncle Ron". although you might find my layman terminology racist.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Dear Chomper.

Likewise, I say from 1962 to Present Day, The UK has always progressed and been a progressive inclusive society.

I never saw racial divisions in Merseyside, perhaps Scousers are different. 

My Aunty Barbra was married to a West Indian back in the late 1950's, Black as the "Ace of Spades" was "Uncle Ron". although you might find my layman terminology racist.

Righty-o Paul:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/banana-skin-thrown-black-footballer-13680260

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No racial element to the action 

Panteli was identified on CCTV and Highbury Magistrates' Court heard that, after being detained by a steward, he said: "It wasn't a racial thing, it just happened" She told the court: "He has not been charged for any racially aggravated public order offence.

"He was arrested for that but no action has been taken in respect of that matter.

"Police directly told Mr Panteli they accepted his account and didn't think there was a racial element."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46607199#:~:text=The banana skin was thrown,racial element to his action.

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No racial element to the action 

Panteli was identified on CCTV and Highbury Magistrates' Court heard that, after being detained by a steward, he said: "It wasn't a racial thing, it just happened" She told the court: "He has not been charged for any racially aggravated public order offence.

"He was arrested for that but no action has been taken in respect of that matter.

"Police directly told Mr Panteli they accepted his account and didn't think there was a racial element."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46607199#:~:text=The banana skin was thrown,racial element to his action.

after being detained by a steward, he said: "It wasn't a racial thing, it just happened" 

Let me see if I remember this correctly.

’Well, he would say that, wouldn’t he!’.

But did you miss this:

Magistrate Mervyn Mandell added: "We have in the circumstances found the racial element was there."

Van driver Panteli, of Norwich, was fined £500, which was increased by £100 for the racial element, and told to pay £135 in costs.”

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1