OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK

Scott

4 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I think cancer is a bit strong. It's maybe as bad as genital warts.

What is like a cancer though, is all the money spent on economic migrants (dole artists) -- and the left extremists backing it -- rather than people actually in need.

Cancers destroy the hosts they inhabit, be it the body or a society. 

The rest of your post is symptomatic of such. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Cancers destroy the hosts they inhabit, be it the body or a society. 

But racism harms other people, not the host.

What's destroyed the UK is its lax immigration policy and the fact it's social benefits system is so easy to exploit.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless it's changed since I left that, IMO, is not true.

None so blind as those who will not see

https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/04/1090032

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/the-colour-of-my-skin/zhnshcw

https://www.tuc.org.uk/research-analysis/reports/still-rigged-racism-uk-labour-market

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

But racism harms other people, not the host.

What's destroyed the UK is its lax immigration policy and the fact it's social benefits system is so easy to exploit.

Society is the host in the metaphor I made…

Again the rest of your post is symptomatic of such a metaphorical cancer. 

Edited by Bluespunk
duh removed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If life in Rwanda was like a holiday camp the numbers crossing the channel would likely increase. The point of the exercise is to dissuade people from crossing the channel in rubber boats and sometimes dying because of it.

BS, the point of the policy should not be to put ayslum seekers at risk. HMG is acting contrary to the UN Convention for Refugees for which they are a signatory. Since the policy was announced the numbers crossing iin small boats has actually increased. It is estimated 48% of those assessed are in fact refugees (roughly 18% are from Albanian who will be declined as economic refugees). At the mement the program is on hold whilst beiing reviewed by the Courts. More detail at...

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53734793

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Generally not , although there are some meetings at Universities that are only open to people of a certain race and some jobs are not available to people from a certain race .

Generally there is no racism in the U.K , although the message is kept alive by groups of protestors on the streets shouting out "racism" every opportunity they get 

And yet:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2021-to-2022/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2021-to-2022

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What does the link say ?

(I have opened three links already this morning already and I haven't even had a coffee yet . I don't want to just sit here opening links )

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh, I see that it has "hate crime" in the title .

A hate crime is a hate crime because the victim says it is .

If your car gets broken into and you claim that's a hate crime, then hate crime it is .

Muslims attacking Jews is a hate crime , Hindus attacking Muslims is a hate crime 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Oh, I see that it has "hate crime" in the title .

A hate crime is a hate crime because the victim says it is .

If your car gets broken into and you claim that's a hate crime, then hate crime it is .

Muslims attacking Jews is a hate crime , Hindus attacking Muslims is a hate crime 

Not so, hate crimes, like racism have a very clear legal definition.

You’ll find it under ‘Definitions’ in the respective laws.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not so, hate crimes, like racism have a very clear legal definition.

You’ll find it under ‘Definitions’ in the respective laws.

Notice you didn't post a link .

This is what a hate crime is and a hate crime is a hate crime if a person says it is , no other evidence required :

The police and the CPS have agreed the following definition for identifying and flagging hate crimes:

"Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice, based on a person's disability or perceived disability; race or perceived race; or religion or perceived religion; or sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation or transgender identity or perceived transgender identity."

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/hate-crime

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Notice you didn't post a link .

This is what a hate crime is and a hate crime is a hate crime if a person says it is , no other evidence required :

The police and the CPS have agreed the following definition for identifying and flagging hate crimes:

"Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice, based on a person's disability or perceived disability; race or perceived race; or religion or perceived religion; or sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation or transgender identity or perceived transgender identity."

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/hate-crime

What the police choose to investigate and what the law defines as a hate crime (of which racism is an example) are not necessarily the same thing.

People report what they perceive to be a crime, the police investigate.

Convictions in court are based on what the law says.

The definitions under the law are very clear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I think people are confusing illegal immigration with racism.  

If the people coming illegally over in vast numbers on boats were white men from other countries the response would be the same. 

Britain is very multicultural and does not have large scale serious race problems in everyday life.

There is inequality...but not just for different races, also among white people of different classes, sexes, disabilities and sexual orientation, religion etc.

I get the impression people are stiring up trouble for political reasons or just some exciting news stories.  They are creating racial tensions when none were there before. 

I notice the members who spend so much time ranting about immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers have been very quiet on Ukrainian refugees and have had virtually nothing to say about Russians fleeing overseas.

So I’m not convinced by your argument.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What the police choose to investigate and what the law defines as a hate crime (of which racism is an example) are not necessarily the same thing.

People report what they perceive to be a crime, the police investigate.

Convictions in court are based on what the law says.

The definitions under the law are very clear.

Yes, but if a person reports a hate crime , its still registered as being hate crime whether there's a prosecution/conviction or not .

The legal definition of a hate crime is irrelevant , because its regarded as a hate crime if anyone says that it is .

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I notice the members who spend so much time ranting about immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers have been very quiet on Ukrainian refugees and have had virtually nothing to say about Russians fleeing overseas.

Funny that…

Edited by Bluespunk
More assertive though accurate comment changed.
  • Like 2

The Conspiracy is Capitalism!

Capitalism creates inequality, injustice and unfairness. Not what they say, that it creates economic equality - it is the opposite. A few very wealthy and lot of people who's real wages have not risen since the 1970. So naturally there is going to be racism and anger at the system.

It is blacks, women, minorities, natives etc who are disproportionately effected by the inequality.

Immigration is all about keeping wages low for the wealthy employers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I think people are confusing illegal immigration with racism.  

Nobody is doing that. 

If the people coming illegally over in vast numbers on boats were white men from other countries the response would be the same. 

I don’t. 

Britain is very multicultural and does not have large scale serious race problems in everyday life.

Yeah right…

There is inequality...but not just for different races, also among white people of different classes, sexes, disabilities and sexual orientation, religion etc.

Doesn’t change the fact that racism is a problem in the U.K.  

I get the impression people are stiring up trouble for political reasons or just some exciting news stories.  They are creating racial tensions when none were there before. 

Nonsense. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2009 said:

The national problem is being too generous to foreigners when Britain needs to take care of itself.

Hmm. What is the betting that the 'We ought to take care of ourselves first' brigade are also the first ones ranting on about 'benefits scroungers', single mothers, etc...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well, this topic is not about immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers, rather about the history of racism in the UK. Now there is a new major war on, so most Ukrainians and many Russians will qualify as refugees, who arrive with at their destinations with their passports, instead of giving them a float-test first. The vast majority are not coming to the UK anyway. SWOT.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well, this topic is not about immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers, rather about the history of racism in the UK. Now there is a new major war on, so most Ukrainians and many Russians will qualify as refugees, who arrive with at their destinations with their passports, instead of giving them a float-test first. The vast majority are not coming to the UK anyway. SWOT.

And a problem is that all the locations where the Ukrainian refugees could be housed in the U.K are full with bogus refugees and there's no space for genuine Ukrainian refugees 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The racial problems are mostly caused by people keep going on about racism the time .

It causes racial divisions that the actual racists adhere to 

No they are not. Either back that up with credible evidence or stop repeating such utter nonsense. 

• Like 1