OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK

Scott

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This thread is focussed on how racism is woven into the fabric of the UK and many of the respondents are British or have experienced life in the UK.

Anyone who grew up in the UK in the period from the late forties through to the late 80s will have been introduced to racist views and thinking. Racism in the UK over that period was openly and often casually expressed.

Its a period during which overtly racist political organizations formed and were openly aligned with violent racist gangs.

Skinheads ‘bashing’ Pakistanis, racist violence at public events, racist chants at league football games, bananas thrown at Black sportsmen, Asian businesses targeted by racist gangs.

These are historical facts.

But there was also the less extreme but insidious casual racism, racist jokes told and laughed at, not just privately but in media too.

Racism was for decades an overt background in British society.

It is facile to deny this racism was real and that it has a lingering presence in the minds of people who grew up in the UK through those years.

So yes, everyone has some elements of racism in their thinking, some recognize this and deal with it, some deny it but it’s still there, and some nurture it, looking for any and every excuse to vent their hate on foreigners, migrants, refugees, asylum seekers .

Refer the pejorative views towards these groups by a small number of members in any and all threads that in anyway address these subjects. 

And if a thread isn’t about foreigners, migrants, refugees, asylum seekers, this same small numbers will frequently take the discussion off topic in an attempt to make it so.

Oh I see , we are talking about 40-50-60 years ago .

It was a different era back then and things were very different back then ,racist attitudes were the norm .

Things have changed since back then and racism is no longer  thing in the U.K .

Many of the under 50 year olds in the UK were bought up in a multi racial society .

The terrible dark old days of the National Front and British Movement and Pakistani bashing are long gone and its new generation now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Here's an article in the Times.

The fact is that the media is gradually coming round to the opinion that the underlying problem is Brexit....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-six-year-cult-has-the-tories-in-its-grip-only-defeat-can-free-them-0l58rqdwg

You can still get a working visa if you want to come back to the U.K

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Oh I see , we are talking about 40-50-60 years ago .

It was a different era back then

It's  a pity that people don't understand history and how it relates to today.

"No dogs no Iraish no coloureds" were legal until the 1960s as was discrimination re employment, but laws were brought in to prevent this. It means that most people didn't agree with these attitudes but it doesn't  mean they don't exist anymore. 

Nowadays racists try ti hide their racism....see the list I posted.

But institutional racism has been here for decades and still exists....if you understand a little of the history, you can see where it comes from and how it survives.

Complacency is racism best friend. People who sit back and do nothing in the face of evil are as bad as those who commit it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

"No dogs no Irish no coloureds"

Coincidentally enough and I swear its true , I rent a spare room out to a Black Irish student , from EIRE .

She stays upstairs in the spare room and its really unnecessary to keep going on about  some landlords UK rental requirements from 60 years ago

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Coincidentally enough and I swear its true , I rent a spare room out to a Black Irish student , from EIRE .

She stays upstairs in the spare room and its really unnecessary to keep going on about  some landlords UK rental requirements from 60 years ago

Good for you, but you have no logical argument to preclude the racism that existed during the lives of people engaged in this discussion.

It is a prime example of the background racism that influenced the minds of very many people living, and importantly voting, in the UK today.

Racist tropes have been used in UK political campaigns within the last decade, they played particularly well to the demographic that grew up with overt racism in British society, of the kind you feel it unnecessary to discus.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That comes under 16 -  “Some of my best friends are…..”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, stop changing words around , were are not talking about cats and dogs 

You claimed that 

"11.  Sweeping subjective generalisations about nationality, creed colour," is racist .

Saying Thai people have smiles is doing just that , making a sweeping  generalisation about a Nationality .

You cannot have it both ways , either making sweeping generalisations about a Nationality is either racist or it isn't 

sorry if that is too much for you let me elucidate

Racists make sweeping subjective generalisations about nationality, creed, colour

“Land of Smiles” is a sweeping Statement

Therefore “Land of smiles” is racist?

There is no logical connection between C the conclusion and the first 2 statements.

I'm guessing you won't understand that.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You claimed that 

"11.  Sweeping subjective generalisations about nationality, creed colour," is racist .

Saying Thai people have smiles is doing just that , making a sweeping  generalisation about a Nationality .

You cannot have it both ways , either making sweeping generalisations about a Nationality is either racist or it isn't 

Have to say, I've cut and pasted that answer  - "no stop changing words" - has got to be pure gold!

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

sorry if that is too much for you let me elucidate

Racists make sweeping subjective generalisations about nationality, creed, colour

“Land of Smiles” is a sweeping Statement

Therefore “Land of smiles” is racist?

There is no logical connection between C the conclusion and the first 2 statements.

I'm guessing you won't understand that.

You are correct , I have lost track of the logic and discussion and cannot understand , doesn't make sense to me 

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Mick - what are you actually arguing? 

That you are NOT racist or that your are?  or something else?

Going by your list , I am racist times 5 , as I tick five of your boxes .

Although I disagree with your list . 

So, you think that I am a racist, I think that I am not 

But, as I have just denied that I am a racist , that's further proof that I am 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Have to say, I've cut and pasted that answer  - "no stop changing words" - has got to be pure gold!

No, you misunderstood , you aren't as clever as you think you are .

You bought cats and dogs into the equation and we aren't talking about cats and dogs , that is a false equivalence .

Those were the changed words that I was referring to 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You claimed that 

Oh yes. And the generalisation and sweeping statement that British white people are racist is also racist!  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Oh yes. And the generalisation and sweeping statement that British white people are racist is also racist!  

again a false syllogism - be interested to know where you get that idea from.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Going by your list , I am racist times 5 , as I tick five of your boxes .

Although I disagree with your list . 

So, you think that I am a racist, I think that I am not 

But, as I have just denied that I am a racist , that's further proof that I am 

As I said earlier - ".....doth protest to much, me thinks"

As I said earlier being a racist is similar to being an alcoholic - until you admit you are one there is nothing you can do about it.

53 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That shows that your list doesn't make any sense at all . 

100 people applied , I choose a Black Irish woman....................which puts me in the category of being a racist . 

Shows how senseless your list is 

I cannot believe this myself . 

I also have a French woman staying with me , who works at Eurostar and she has just showed up with two dogs in tow and asked/told me that they will be staying the night !!!!!!!!

• Haha 1