Thailand believes condemnation will reduce chances of resolving conflict in Ukraine

webfact

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Plenty of countries ( eg Burma ) doing the same sort of thing, but those countries getting exercised over Russia seem rather quiet on them. Has your country condemned Burma in the UN?

119 countries did vote in the UN condemning Myanmar although Russia is still supplying them with weapons as it carries out its genocide but this is about Thailand

3 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Once again “having peace in our time” - a la Chamberlain as Hitler demanded the German speaking Sudetenland from sovereign Czechoslovakia. 

How many deaths and how much destruction are worth not ceding some territory?

Given it was probably not advantageous to Thailand to vote for the resolution, abstention IMO was the best option as China would not be pleased if Thailand voted for it.

I guess they had to balance America against China, and China won. After all, IMO America is hardly going to punish it's best ally in SEA for abstaining.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In your opinion, but you can't know that. The Chinese connection is strong regardless  of the government.

Anyway, I doubt that any type of Thai government cares about the opinions of farangs.

Always ready for a China slant even if it's not plausible. The more educated guess is that it has to do with Putin's planned attendance at the APEC summit next month. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anandra said:

No wonder all countries in Europe that have border with russian butchers, try to  keep away from them, all of them remmeber russian occupation, stalinist regimes, nurders 

I can't object to this.

I was talking about nazi symbolism. Facebook unblocked Azov battalion account ... Nazification which itself seems to be prohibited in European countries too, but still exists. Some sort of dualism, a hypocrisy.

5 hours ago, Jerno said:

I call BS. Just pandering to Russia and China, by sitting on the fence. 

Thailand mostly always has been a fence sitter, I ask this question what for example if this was taking place in Thailand and they were reaching out for Allie assistance ??!! Put the shoe on your foot Thailand  !! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Swampy999 said:

Imagine a very large country not far away sending its military and missiles here in a 'special military operation' and the majority of other countries do not condemn the action.

Thailand, money number one.

That could happen . However what I see as Thailand's stance is neutrality , because at the moment Thailand is being courted by America & China . Thailand does not want to fall out with any potential trader . So the Americans bring the NATO countries and Russia with China not only manufacturing trade but most of the general tourism and investment to Thailand . So with an open house mentality , Thailand is milking it to the extreme but will eventually have to take a side because military wise it is weak . My bet is it will side with China & co .

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many deaths and how much destruction are worth not ceding some territory?

Given it was probably not advantageous to Thailand to vote for the resolution, abstention IMO was the best option as China would not be pleased if Thailand voted for it.

I guess they had to balance America against China, and China won. After all, IMO America is hardly going to punish it's best ally in SEA for abstaining.

I find Thailand’s abstention vote consistent historically in its trying to balance the interests of competing world powers. As to whether there is ever a cause to fight over territory? History does report that there are times when people do decide to defend their country (I am thinking WWII Czechoslovakia here). Philosophically, the debate has been with countries/empires for a long time. I have not found any one “right” conclusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, plus7 said:

I can't object to this.

I was talking about nazi symbolism. Facebook unblocked Azov battalion account ... Nazification which itself seems to be prohibited in European countries too, but still exists. Some sort of dualism, a hypocrisy.

total manupilative nonsense, there was no any symbolism among Azov related to nazi Germany, neither Azov shared  any ideas with nazis, Azov itself was created in Donbass region. Azov now is a part of Ukrainian army.and it is very small group. By the way real nazis are fighting for russia now, and no one calls russia nazi country evem if theu are worse. Try to find information about famous russian war mutcher Aleksey Melchakov, who openly called himself a s nazist. as russian troll you probably know him. I tell you modern ruscism if far more dangerous than the nazism in Germany

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mania said:

They are not wrong IMO

Truthfully Biden & the military industrial complex warmongers who support him are getting rich (Again) off this proxy war against Russia

The arming of the Ukrainians with weapon systems billed to the tax payer of the USA are not helping but escalating the situation daily

The same thing also being attempted by Biden & Pelosi in Taiwan by promising the US will step in & defend them against China??

Yet how would the USA feel if Hawaii wanted to restore their monarchy which was overthrown by the USA?

And China did the same & said hey you want out of the USA?

We will defend you should you so desire independence.

Would the USA stand for that?

Nah instead I prefer the words of John Quincy Adams back when he said about America

She has abstained from interference in the concerns of others, even when conflict has been for principles to which she clings,

https://loveman.sdsu.edu/docs/1821secofstateJQAdmas.pdf

Biden Et al. should learn their history

Before posting manipulative nonsense you should have prepared yourself, reading history, how many times ukrainians were fighting against russians, how rissians were destroying and banning the ukrainian language, cukture, imprisoning ukraining writers poets, how russians created few femines in Ukraine, and then you would not have probably post nonsense here. Biden and the Europe has nothing to do with that..Though the Europe probably has, Merkel grew up butcher putin and made all Europe dependent on russian gas and oil, many european leaders did not pay attention at how russia was slowly turning into new nazi regime. Many countries blocked Ukraine from joining NATO, thinking it will calm down Putin. High similarity with calming down Hitler before the world war II. As we see it did not work. Most of russian trolls know it, but they must post their rubbish manipulations here

Edited by anandra
  • Like 2