3 Thais Found Infected With New Covid Strain XBB In Hong Kong

webfact

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In other words, the XBB variant is likely to be even more effective than Omicron is defeating the protections of current COVID vaccines, meaning potentially greater likelihoods of more people getting infected and more people getting sick.

Yes, as with all flu´s, colds and other virus infections. Lucky we still can talk about Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three COVID Scenarios That Could Spell Trouble for the Fall

Eric Topol, MD, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Medscape's editor-in-chief, said about COVID this fall: "There will be another wave, magnitude unknown."

He said subvariants XBB and BQ.1.1 "have extreme levels of immune evasion and both could pose a challenge," explaining that XBB is more likely to cause trouble than BQ.1.1 because it is even more resistant to natural or vaccine-induced immunity."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/982113

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

I don't think there are any.

Certainly not mentioned in any reports I've seen.

Regarding the impact of XBB in Singapore...

COVID cases are not hospitalized for having no symptoms:

"Hospitalizations in Singapore have increased alongside the rise in cases, yet deaths remain low, with fewer than a dozen recorded in the country over the past week."

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vFtKyx05emEJ:https://fortune.com/2022/10/11/what-is-xbb-variant-covid-singapore-immune-evasive/&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-d

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

yeah, better get jab number 7?

Lol, it will always change, lets not assume that the situation doesn't change for the better, see my 'snippet' from the Singapore Governments response to the recent misinformation.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Yes, I read that, then I read this - the above is wrong. Someone is hyping XBB all over the internet and incorrectly so according to the Government of Singapore.

Source of the following is the Singapore Government and published today : https://www.gov.sg/article/factually141022-a

That government statement is responding to different claims in a different article, which was not the one I linked to above...

What they saying in the report you cited may well be true, but it does NOT claim that their hospitalizations aren't increasing -- which is what my linked report said...

And the Sing. govt's own website indeed does show that their COVID hospitalizations have been increasing in recent weeks -- even if they believe the XBB variant has a lower hospitalization rate than a different variant.

Sing.jpg.debd7deb1dfe59420d67b2dc81bc3ce6.jpg

The government's own website also shows the rise in COVID cases that's been occurring there in their latest wave.

2025065208_Sing2.jpg.29efa73140d0918e0d32fcc6f85544e7.jpg

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/statistics

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same in Singapore's latest weekly COVID update dated Oct.  12:

7-Day Moving Average of Local Cases

Screenshot_14.jpg.0bf9f74d748c28a92b137c5188ac658a.jpg

COVID hospitalizations and those requiring oxygen supplementation

Screenshot_15.jpg.32adf48bca682c5a2c9d06dd26f395dc.jpg

https://www.moh.gov.sg/docs/librariesprovider5/local-situation-report/ceg_20221012_weekly_report_on_covid-19.pdf

But what the above reports don't appear to be doing is giving a breakdown of how much of the recent new case and hospitalization increases are tied to XBB vs other variants.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What they saying in the report you cited may well be true, but it does NOT claim that their hospitalizations aren't increasing -- which is what my linked report said

Sure, infections are up so hospitalisations will increase, but what they appear to be saying is that they're not going up in proportion with the number of infections - which is where I assume they're getting the '30% lower risk of hospitalisation'.

If the percentage of the newly infected who end up in hospital goes down compared to BA.5 then it's a very good thing, especially when you take into consideration that the number of hospitalisations already plummeted with BA.5 compared to the previous variants from 2021 and 2020.

It suggests that things are moving in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It suggests that things are moving in the right direction.

When you see local cases and hospitalizations for COVID BOTH rising, I'd suggest things are moving in the WRONG direction.

The burden of COVID on people and the local health system isn't just based on the rate of illness among those infected, but also the numbers of people infected (how transmissible a variant is). It's the combination of the two that drives the outcomes.

And one of the concerning issues about the XBB variant (compared to others prior) is that it's said to have a higher escape capability both from vaccine and prior infection induced immunity, meaning greater propensity to spread.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In other words, the XBB variant is likely to be even more effective than Omicron is defeating the protections of current COVID vaccines, meaning potentially greater likelihoods of more people getting infected and more people getting sick.

Probably untrue. As viruses evolve they tend to become more infectious but less harmful. Many will be infected but very few will die.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, polpott said:

Probably untrue. As viruses evolve they tend to become more infectious but less harmful. Many will be infected but very few will die.

The problem with the ongoing COVID pandemic and continuing emergence of new variants is that you never really know what each new one might bring.

The tendency toward being less harmful may be the case in general, but there are and have been plenty of prior viral diseases where the opposite has been the case.

As long as people don't follow [read "ignore"] recommended public health precautions, they increase the risks of continuing to spread COVID and with each new infection, more chances for mutation into who knows what.