Can you refund or exchange things that you have bought?

topswijaya

47 minutes ago, topswijaya said:

Can you refund or exchange things that you have bought at Big C, Makro, etc

Yes with those 2 within a certain time presenting the bill,  or under a guarantee period. 

Some other stores as well but best to ask before paying. 

Hi,

Its my own experience that, on the whole, the ideas of refunds/exchanges - here in thailand isn’t as common nor practiced as perhaps in other countries..

that said, most of the larger stores.. as noted Big C among them but also Paragon,  Central, Robinsons etc will also do so- but you’ll have to meet their criteria..

ie within X days of purchase, with original receipt and item in new/unused condition l, being the 3 most common requirements.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yes you can.  I've done it, at Big C.  I believe it needs to be returned within 7 days. 

Correct, BigC and Lotus, 7 days. No questions asked. Need receipt. 

I don't know about Lotus's, though, it might have changed since the take-over.

• Thumbs Up 1

Things have improved in he last 20 years - retailers are beginning to adopt modern customer service practices. 

In most western countries there are laws that relate to satisfactory performance expectations and satisfactions etc, Thailand lags behind in a lot of this even if the laws are in place there isn't a lot you can do to enforce a law as the courts take months or years.....

Despite a change there is still an attitude of "the customer is always at fault" that pervades most of the big shops. Things like fake discounts partial guarantees passing the buck continue.

There is one thing that annoys me in particular is the idea that you need a receipt when returning faulty goods and the like.

Basically they have bar codes, and records of sale and you probably have a record of the transaction with your bank but nine times out of ten it is totally obvious where/when the item was bought from, asking for receipts is just trying to put another obstacle in your way. 

Another is claiming that they aren't responsible for the good and it has to be returned to the supplier.

many stores now offer 7 day no-quibble returns, but many people ma well have a legitimate reason to return good after that period.

Back in the days of Tesco Lotus, I bought a very cheap desk lamp and was told there was no return after 7days - I pointed out that it hadn't been. marked on the box or shelf and they replaced the item - they agreed but I felt but they weren't happy.

However if you know exactly what you want to achieve to solve the issue and are polite and smiling you have a very good chance.

• Thanks 1