Russia launches ‘kamikaze’ drone attack on Kyiv, killing 4 and hitting civilian infrastructure

Scott

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I highlighted that part of your post I’m replying to, rather than paste and copy. On your wish list I know, but don’t think it will happen.

I read that Russia is holding back on its more sophisticated weapons and using just cheap disposables to break the spine and morale of the Ukrainian army. They are building up troops on the northern and eastern flanks. Ukrainian offensive on Kherson is getting bogged down, Bakhmut could be recaptured and fresh soldiers (200,000) are gathering. 

Putin, in response to a question during a recent press conference, said that he didn’t intend to occupy the whole of Ukraine. Past tense. He didn’t say what he intends to do now.

The longer the war goes on, the more that will die. But luckily, the west will support Ukraine to the last Ukrainian.

We had some other contributor here who would write "I heard that..." but would never identify the source. I'm sure you wouldn't try that one on. So  please share a link with us to the source where you "read that Russia is holding back on its more sophisticated weapons and using just cheap disposables to break the spine and morale of the Ukrainian army."

30 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

AN has very strict rules about posting links. I don’t want to run foul of those rules. In any case, you will undoubtedly discredit the sources as being propaganda or whatever so pointless to post any links as I’m not bothered to change your viewpoint. I’m just here to express my opinions like everyone else. I’m as entitled to them as they are to you.

But it's not an opinion. You are stating something as a fact.

16 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Just watched a France24 news clip that confirmed part of what I posted about Russia using cheap disposables. The estimated cost of each drone is only about £20k while missiles could be as much as £1 mio and the resulting effects are the same.

This is like claiming that 2 years before the Martians invade, the price of oil will reach 100. Just because the price of oil reaches 100 doesn't mean that the Martians will invade. No one doubts that the drones are cheap. The dubious part is your claim that the Russians have been holding their best stuff in reserve. That's laughable. What are they waiting for? When they get driven back into Crimea?

24 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Just watched a France24 news clip that confirmed part of what I posted about Russia using cheap disposables. The estimated cost of each drone is only about £20k while missiles could be as much as £1 mio and the resulting effects are the same.

Hmmmm....

Yes , that's correct. 

You forget to mention that the same reports say that Russia uses the cheap disposables because it has used up so many (did they say 50%? I forgot) of the expensive ones. 

39 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I just saw that clip. And what the commentator said was that it is estimated Russia has used 2 thirds of its missiles. So Russia hasn't exactly been holding back on them, has it? No wonder you didn't include the link.

Here's the link:

https://www.france24.com/en/video/20221018-analysis-why-is-russia-using-kamikaze-drones-in-ukraine

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Feel free to leave a link for all that, watching a clip on tv is not good enough, no link it didn't happen. We can all make up stories but credible stories need to be substantiated.

Like I said, AN has strict rules about links and I don’t want to run afoul of them. 

As to stories being substantiated, links to western funded websites is not my idea of substantiation. It is highly unlikely that any western funded website would post any articles that are not in line with the western narrative.

• Love It 1

Just now, Gweiloman said:

Like I said, AN has strict rules about links and I don’t want to run afoul of them. 

As to stories being substantiated, links to western funded websites is not my idea of substantiation. It is highly unlikely that any western funded website would post any articles that are not in line with the western narrative.

Then don't post unsubstantiated claims, simple.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This is like claiming that 2 years before the Martians invade, the price of oil will reach 100. Just because the price of oil reaches 100 doesn't mean that the Martians will invade. No one doubts that the drones are cheap. The dubious part is your claim that the Russians have been holding their best stuff in reserve. That's laughable. What are they waiting for? When they get driven back into Crimea?

Is Russia holding their best stuff in reserve? Neither you nor I know that for a fact, in spite of what analysts think, think being the operative word.

29 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Your president disagrees.

I hope he is better informed than you. 

Context would help.

Biden stated that unhinged psychopath Putin was sane in light of his nuclear bullying to walk back previous statements saying the opposite. 

Quite obviously for strategic diplomatic reasons which I really don't agree will be helpful.

As if Putin is really going to launch or not based on a stated opinion about his sanity or insanity by Biden.

Anyway it's clear to me that Biden's earlier opinion is what he actually still thinks.

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Is Russia holding their best stuff in reserve? Neither you nor I know that for a fact, in spite of what analysts think, think being the operative word.

There's such a thing as common sense and another thing called probability. So, while anything is possible, it is obviously massively unlikely. 

40 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Hmmmm....

Yes , that's correct. 

You forget to mention that the same reports say that Russia uses the cheap disposables because it has used up so many (did they say 50%? I forgot) of the expensive ones. 

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I just saw that clip. And what the commentator said was that it is estimated Russia has used 2 thirds of its missiles. So Russia hasn't exactly been holding back on them, has it? No wonder you didn't include the link.

Here's the link:

https://www.france24.com/en/video/20221018-analysis-why-is-russia-using-kamikaze-drones-in-ukraine

I didn’t include the link because I couldn’t be arsed. I mentioned France24 so it’s not rocket science.

Whether or not Russia has used up 2/3’s of its inventory is any body’s guess. I’m not basing my conclusion on what a journalist says. Fact is that drones are cheaper than missiles. A journalist claiming that Russia has used up 2/3 of its inventory is speculation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There's such a thing as common sense and another thing called probability. So, while anything is possible, it is obviously massively unlikely. 

And you know that, how?

Do you think that a nation like Russia used up 2/3’s of its missiles inventory in a low intensity attack over a period of a few days? Seems highly unlikely to me.

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I didn’t include the link because I couldn’t be arsed. I mentioned France24 so it’s not rocket science.

Whether or not Russia has used up 2/3’s of its inventory is any body’s guess. I’m not basing my conclusion on what a journalist says. Fact is that drones are cheaper than missiles. A journalist claiming that Russia has used up 2/3 of its inventory is speculation.

There's informed guesses and then there are wildly improbably ones like claiming that Russia has been holding its best stuff in reserve. Is it waiting for its armed forces to completely break down before using those weapons. Such an assertion that the Russians are withholding using their best weapons makes no sense. If they really had better weapons in store, why make nuclear threats?

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

And you know that, how?

Do you think that a nation like Russia used up 2/3’s of its missiles inventory in a low intensity attack over a period of a few days? Seems highly unlikely to me.

No, it used up 2/3 of its weapons starting about Feb 24, 2022.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

There's informed guesses and then there are wildly improbably ones like claiming that Russia has been holding its best stuff in reserve. Is it waiting for its armed forces to completely break down before using those weapons. Such an assertion that the Russians are withholding using their best weapons makes no sense. If they really had better weapons in store, why make nuclear threats?

To the best of my knowledge, Putin never made any nuclear threats. That’s just the interpretation of the collective west, which has its own agenda. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

To the best of my knowledge, Putin never made any nuclear threats. That’s just the interpretation of the collective west, which has its own agenda. 

You would have to work really hard not to see this as a nuclear threat:

Mr. Putin said he would use “all available means” to defend Russian territory — which he declared includes four provinces of eastern Ukraine that Russia has attempted to illegally annex. He also argued that the atomic bombs the United States dropped on Japan in 1945 “created a precedent.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/09/world/europe/russia-putin-nuclear-threat.html

Iranians in Crimea helping with the drone attacks

Current and former US officials confirmed to the New York Times on October 18 that members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) are in Russian-occupied Crimea to train Russian forces on how to use the Iranian drones they purchased, thereby enabling likely Russian war crimes.[5] ISW had assessed on October 12 that any Iranian personnel in Ukraine were likely IRGC drone trainers.[6] The New York Times reported that it remains unclear whether Iranian trainers are flying the drones themselves, or merely teaching Russian forces how to do so.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-october-18

32 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Iranians in Crimea helping with the drone attacks

Current and former US officials confirmed to the New York Times on October 18 that members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) are in Russian-occupied Crimea to train Russian forces on how to use the Iranian drones they purchased, thereby enabling likely Russian war crimes.[5] ISW had assessed on October 12 that any Iranian personnel in Ukraine were likely IRGC drone trainers.[6] The New York Times reported that it remains unclear whether Iranian trainers are flying the drones themselves, or merely teaching Russian forces how to do so.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-october-18

Iranian in Ukraine actually..

• 4 months later...