Jailed and blacklisted: Frenchmen in attack on Thai man ordered held by court - driver is Hua Hin man with Thai wife

webfact

39 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I do not think anybody wants them jailed and deported just because they are not born here. At least, I have never posted that. Neither should they be judged regarding race or religion. They should simply be judged over that they put a Thai man in ICU. Is that far too naive, or can you understand that?

Interesting that you said "Thai man" instead of just "man". What an absolute textbook example of a Freudian slip!:clap2:

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I’m so sure that is correct....  

Immigration officers do not have the powers of discretion you suggest, they cannot just send someone home because they acted inappropriately.

Immigration are pretty much powerless unless a foreigner has broken the conditions of their stay, i.e. committed a serious crime. 

In this case - I don’t think Immigration have the power to send one of the Frenchman home (the car owner) as he hasn’t committed any serious crime. 

The second Frenchman ‘could’ be sent home, by the time this has gone to court his ‘visa exempt entry’ will have expired and he can easily be deported on the technicality of being on over-stay. 

Immigration can send you home and blacklist you.  It's up to the immigration officer.

In this case a crime has been committed and a blacklisting is in order. 

31 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Interesting that you said "Thai man" instead of just "man". What an absolute textbook example of a Freudian slip!:clap2:

No, it was not any slip at all. My opinion is that you just read too many books about the subject. Try to be a little bit more selective.

The reason why I wrote Thai man, is because that is what he is. Same as I mention that the other part is Frenchmen. So, let me read how you explain that fact now. Please do not slip while doing it. ???? 

53 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Put simple - I 'believe' in Facts - on this particular occasion clearly shown by an unadulterated video showing 2 guys fighting, The French guy tried to walk away only to be kicked again by the Thai from behind.

Ok, that´s good. But, are you saying that Thailand, the court and the people here do not believe in facts? If so, I guess you are in the wrong place.

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Bias, must be your favorite word. Remember later, to say justice is blind as well. Because you know better. To me it seems like you came to Thailand to tell them how wrong they look at things.

I’m not telling ‘them’  how wrongly they look at things…. I’m telling you how wrongly you are looking at this issue….   Because, you are not smart enough to escape your bias (yes, that word again because it so perfect fits all of your comments). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Immigration can send you home and blacklist you.  It's up to the immigration officer.

You believe an immigration officer could just come up to you in the street and send you home because they want to ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not telling ‘them’  how wrongly they look at things…. I’m telling you how wrongly you are looking at this issue….   Because, you are not smart enough to escape your bias (yes, that word again because it so perfect fits all of your comments). 

yes, that word again

You forgot racist bigot.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely.

Don't worry though for yourself.  You have to actually be in Thailand. 

25 years here & have close friends in immigration…. 

Yet again your assumptions are wholly incorrect. 
Immigration cannot deport & blacklist someone because they ‘feel like it’…..  a person would have to be found guilty of a crime before that could happen. 

I guess in this case the Frenchman who fought will likely be held until his visa exempt entry expires & he’ll be deported. Nothing serious will happen to the driver, his crimes; if they could even be called that, were extremely minor… he’ll just receive a minor fine for the red plate issue which will be nothing more than a face saving exercise for the BiB.

There will very likely be some financial compensation involved.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

25 years here & have close friends in immigration…. 

Yet again your assumptions are wholly incorrect. 
Immigration cannot deport & blacklist someone because they ‘feel like it’…..  a person would have to be found guilty of a crime before that could happen. 

I guess in this case the Frenchman who fought will likely be held until his visa exempt entry expires & he’ll be deported. Nothing serious will happen to the driver, his crimes; if they could even be called that, were extremely minor… he’ll just receive a minor fine for the red plate issue which will be nothing more than a face saving exercise for the BiB.

There will very likely be some financial compensation involved.

Definitely compensation will resolve things.

Hopefully the Thai guy recovers fully and everyone can get back to normal life. 

Unfortunately bad things happen. Always best for all parties involved to try and keep a cool head.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It isn't no, the Right wing tend to believe in law and order and its the Left allowing/causing destruction on the streets 

Wow, where in the heck did you come up with that? Off topic drivel. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I’m so sure that is correct....  

Immigration officers do not have the powers of discretion you suggest, they cannot just send someone home because they acted inappropriately.

Immigration are pretty much powerless unless a foreigner has broken the conditions of their stay, i.e. committed a serious crime. 

In this case - I don’t think Immigration have the power to send one of the Frenchman home (the car owner) as he hasn’t committed any serious crime. 

The second Frenchman ‘could’ be sent home, by the time this has gone to court his ‘visa exempt entry’ will have expired and he can easily be deported on the technicality of being on over-stay. 

I'm quite certain you're  wrong about how deportation is triggered in Thailand. As far as I know, it's sufficient that Ministry of the Interior gives that order. Yes, it's that arbitrary. One can appeal e.t.c., but the process isn't handled thorough the courts, and one doesn't have to be found guilty of breaking any law. 

https://www.hawryluklegal.com/2015/04/how-deportation-works-in-thailand/

We're merely guests in this country, and our rights are rather limited.  

6 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

I'm quite certain you're  wrong about how deportation is triggered in Thailand. As far as I know, it's sufficient that Ministry of the Interior gives that order. Yes, it's that arbitrary. One can appeal e.t.c., but the process isn't handled thorough the courts, and one doesn't have to be found guilty of breaking any law. 

https://www.hawryluklegal.com/2015/04/how-deportation-works-in-thailand/

We're merely guests in this country, and our rights are rather limited.  

That's still a far cry from immigration having the powers to deport someone because they ‘want to’... there is a legal process involved.... 

Thus, when people are suggesting that ‘immigration will just deport and blacklist the frenchman’ and it's up to the Immigration officer - they are wrong. Immigration do not have that level of discretion.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:16 PM, MrJ2U said:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Indeed, this happens all the time on AN, a big story happens, then no follow up?

I'm not sure we can blame AN which just regurgitates news from other sources...

... The media in Thailand itself seems uninterested in ‘actual journalism’.... it wants the outrage, the gasp, shock, horror, the clicks, the sensationalism.... the actual story seems to matter little....

Is it laziness ?...  is it because following up on a story takes time and effort where the story just doesn’t fall into the lap of someone sat at a desk ?... 

As Mac wrote - there was that story last year (Westerner kills Thai intruder), there have been a number of stories which have generated great debate and interest, then nothing...  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting how this has all gone quiet now... 

Happens most of the time in Thailand.

The only person that I know who would do detailed follow ups for big crimes was Andrew Drummond.

He had to leave Thailand (about 2015?) but he still posts on his web-site.

Lots of false claims that his reports were not true but those claims were just that - false. His reports were pretty accurate.

He reported on the murder of a friend of mine and everything there was accurate. (But he missed the bit about witness interference.)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's still a far cry from immigration having the powers to deport someone because they ‘want to’... there is a legal process involved.... 

Thus, when people are suggesting that ‘immigration will just deport and blacklist the frenchman’ and it's up to the Immigration officer - they are wrong. Immigration do not have that level of discretion.

Stop pulling things out of thin air.

I sent you a link that explains clearly how the Ministry of the Interior can deport one without any legal process. 

You don't wish to accept it? Up to you.  But that won't change reality. If they want to kick you out, they will -- without any judge involved.