Who might succeed Liz Truss as UK prime minister?

Scott

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Just been listening to LBC. Apparently these are the approximate numbers regarding the three candidates and the number of MPs that have officially backed them so far:

Mordant 22

Boris 54

Sunak 62

It's looking like Boris and Sunak will fight it out, and that would be a bloodbath. 

It'll all be concluded by Friday 28th Oct, so at least it'll be quick. 

And they are getting the party members to vote online ,hence the quick turn around.

Like LBC ,BBC's R4 Today said Boris could well do it ,saying his 2019 mandate will be in his favour ??.

But, up to press he has yet to say that he will stand ,now hotfooting it back from the Dominican Republic where has been on holiday.

Surprised, Hunt not standing ,probable thinking of remaining at Number 11,more of a chance that next door . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

ALL the Tory leaders were remainers (including Cameron, Boris and Teresa)!

In fact the only MP I know for sure who wanted to leave the EU was the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Er...   never mind the facts, eh?

Corbyn's Twitter in 2016 at the referendum:

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 5.22.11 pm.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The first thing they should then do is call an election.

If the Labour party ( is it still New Labour, or did Tony so taint that that it's a banned word ? ) were actually worth it, I might agree, but IMO the only thing that could make Britain worse off would be putting that <deleted> party back in power. I haven't forgotten how they had it all for 10 years and IMO completely ruined the NHS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the Labour party ( is it still New Labour, or did Tony so taint that that it's a banned word ? ) were actually worth it, I might agree, but IMO the only thing that could make Britain worse off would be putting that <deleted> party back in power. I haven't forgotten how they had it all for 10 years and IMO completely ruined the NHS.

I don’t agree that labour is too blame for the nhs woes, but I wasn’t referring to them in my post. The point is the tories, as the whole post you partially quoted, made clear are a mess and a wholesale reboot is required. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t agree that labour is too blame for the nhs woes, but I wasn’t referring to them in my post. The point is the tories, as the whole post you partially quoted, made clear are a mess and a wholesale reboot is required. 

and depending on the chosen one, can do that reboot without an election.

2 years is forever in politics and this will all be forgotten by next election.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Given that I actually worked for the NHS during Tony's time I think I know a bit more about it than someone that didn't.

I used that as the reason I would not want Labour anywhere near Number 10 again, which is relevant in the event that an election is called, as some want.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and depending on the chosen one, can do that reboot without an election.

2 years is forever in politics and this will all be forgotten by next election.

The party is riven with divisions and is no longer functioning as a party. 

There needs to be a clean out or the situation will not change. None of the candidates being touted as next leader will be able to heal the divisions within the party. 

Dream on if you think the current mess is going to be resolved by the next election. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No one else in Parliament seemed to like him, so you can understand him not wanting to go into work 

Nothing to do with being liked, he has a duty to represent his constituency, he chooses instead to once again demonstrate his contempt for the public he is supposed to be serving.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Seemingly he didn’t think he should have been in the UK anyway doing the job he was elected to do, representing his constituency.

Most Mp's have constituency offices with full time staff that can handle any queries that their constituencies  have.

Also in 2022 there are communication tools such as Mobile phone and the internet

Unless your suggesting that all MP's should be electronically tagged and should be arrested if they attempt to go past their constituency boundaries

22 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Calm down, I’m only suggesting that an elected MP should attend the House of Commons, hear, take part in and vote on legislation.

It’s a bit of an ask I know.

The HOC operates an arrangement called Pair and a number of countries operate similar arrangements

In parliamentary practice, whereby a member of a legislative body agrees or is designated by the party whip to be absent from the chamber or to abstain from voting when a member of the other party needs to be absent from the chamber due to other commitments, illness, travel problems, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_(parliamentary_convention)#:~:text=In parliamentary practice%2C pairing is,from the chamber due to

On 10/21/2022 at 7:47 PM, BritManToo said:

If it's Boris Vs Sunak, I can confidently predict the Tory party membership will vote for Boris.

You all know why!

I think you could well be right ,on the radio this afternoon,Boris,is the Heineken man"He reaches the people ,the others can not reach "

William Hague said if he  gets back in it would be the worst day in his 35 years in politics ,I would others  at Westminster are saying the same thing.

But ,this  committee hearing could be his Archils heal,some say if it goes ahead it will be televised ,can you envisage  the countries PM getting grilled on TV .

And his track record on the economy is not good,he was the Brexit and Covid man ,real power  could be next door at Number 11 with Mr Hunt.

• Haha 1

The future is looking just peachy for the tories 

“Supporters of the Tory leadership contender Penny Mordaunt are poised to target “anti-Sunak” MPs should Boris Johnson pull out of the race, amid warnings that the government will descend into “ongoing warfare” should the former chancellor win the top job.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/oct/22/boris-johnson-rishi-sunak-penny-mordaunt-conservative-tory-leadership-liz-truss-latest-politics-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

”“There’s a lot of people who still just hate each other – that has not changed since the summer,” said a Mordaunt ally. “It’s only intensified. That is why Penny could emerge as the genuine unity candidate. There’s Boris people who look at Rishi and just really can’t stomach him and won’t want to serve under him – and I doubt they are going to be quiet in any situation in which Rishi is prime minister. She has none of the baggage. If not first, she is everyone’s number two choice. Her private numbers are much higher than publicly listed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/22/penny-mordaunt-backers-counting-on-stop-sunak-mps-if-boris-johnson-falls?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2