Thai Telco Regulator Gives Conditional Clearance To True, DTAC Merger

webfact

image.jpeg

A woman speaks on a mobile phone as she stands next to the logo of True Corp in Bangkok on February 29, 2016. File photo: Reuters/Athit Perawongmetha and published by CNA

By Reuters and published by CNA

THAILAND’S telecommunications regulator cleared the merger of the country’s second and third largest mobile operators, True Corporation Pcl and Telenor ASA’s Total Access Communication Pcl (DTAC) with conditions.

The conditions include a price ceiling and price controls, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) said in a statement Thursday (Oct. 20).

The delayed decision comes nearly a year after the deal was first announced amid concerns of the new entity reducing market competition.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/10/20/thai-telco-regulator-gives-conditional-clearance-to-true-dtac-merger/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-10-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

THAILAND’S telecommunications regulator cleared the merger of the country’s second and third largest mobile operators, True Corporation Pcl and Telenor ASA’s Total Access Communication Pcl (DTAC) with conditions.

A done deal... has been all along.

My American friends can correct me I am sure but all this outrage sounds a whole lot like the screaming that went on when T-Mobile bought SPRINT

As to high prices and bad customer service yeah I saw it in Canada with just Rogers and Bell.  But that is not the company's faults it is the regulators that allow the <deleted> to happen.

The NBTC will along with AIS be keeping a close eye on what happens and you can be assured that if TRUE raises prices or drops its service that AIS will step up to either call them on it or provide a better service to customers.

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

My American friends can correct me I am sure but all this outrage sounds a whole lot like the screaming that went on when T-Mobile bought SPRINT

As to high prices and bad customer service yeah I saw it in Canada with just Rogers and Bell.  But that is not the company's faults it is the regulators that allow the <deleted> to happen.

The NBTC will along with AIS be keeping a close eye on what happens and you can be assured that if TRUE raises prices or drops its service that AIS will step up to either call them on it or provide a better service to customers.

Total BS. It is the companies fault. 100%. They make a conscious choice to cut back on customer service, because they can. In an ideal world, government would care about us little guys. But, they don't. Not one iota. And the corporations are allowed to cheat us, steal from us, pillage, rampage, and abuse us, the consumer to no end. 

Edited by spidermike007

57 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Total BS. It is the companies fault. 100%. They make a conscious choice to cut back on customer service, because they can. In an ideal world, government would care about us little guys. But, they don't. Not one iota. And the corporations are allowed to cheat us, steal from us, pillage, rampage, and abuse us, the consumer to no end. 

Mike you made my point.  I said that it was not the company's fault because the regulators allowed it.  

Companies make no money on CSR it is a loss that they have to take and therefore will do it the cheapest way that they can.  Hence when you call CSR in NA you might end up with an Indian, Philippine or Mexican person on the other end but almost never will get an American or Canadian unles the company was forced to hire them.

12 hours ago, huangnon said:

Assimilate, conglomerate, aggregate, amalgamate... Buy up all and any competition, and then <deleted> your "customers" up the <deleted> Rinse, repeat. ????

There was that German guy who predicted this 200 years ago. But he is anathema in the Anglo-Saxon world.