Sunaks first address to the British People as Prime Minister.

Social Media

21 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Should the U.K take that money and thus there will be no investment and enery for the future ?

No they should not!

Only the daft left would support the idea that a company can plan ahead and make their profits (or losses) under the laws existing when they made their decisions but then be told that the laws have just changed so cough up and pay an unplanned and illegal tax which will totally  f#ck up your current investment plans in the UK economy. (and f#ck up the UK economy at the same time!)

Oh, BTW Mr. investor please invest all that money which we have just stolen from you, and you no longer have, and invest it in the North Sea (or other essential fabric of the UK) so that we can introduce another new and unforeseen tax if you do actually make a profit and help the country prosper!

33 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Shell are investing their profits into making new North sea gas and oil projects , so they will have resources in the future and will have a supply of gas and oil for the U.K.

Should the U.K take that money and thus there will be no investment and enery for the future ?

Shell says it has not paid any windfall tax this year despite record profits – business live

Oil giant expects not to pay levy in 2022 because of North Sea investment relief; Labour, Lib Dems and Greenpeace call for ‘proper windfall tax’ on energy firms’ profits

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2022/oct/27/shell-profits-double-95bn-european-central-bank-hike-interest-rates-lloyds-profits-slide-business-live

Its Catch 22 If the Uk Gov takes the money there will always be new Investments in area's that there a guaranteed return, what you will see is in area's where there is a 50/50 chance of finding oil or gas then these area's will not be explored

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Shell says it has not paid any windfall tax this year despite record profits – business live

Oil giant expects not to pay levy in 2022 because of North Sea investment relief; Labour, Lib Dems and Greenpeace call for ‘proper windfall tax’ on energy firms’ profits

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2022/oct/27/shell-profits-double-95bn-european-central-bank-hike-interest-rates-lloyds-profits-slide-business-live

Its Catch 22 If the Uk Gov takes the money there will always be new Investments in area's that there a guaranteed return, what you will see is in area's where there is a 50/50 chance of finding oil or gas then these area's will not be explored

Shell wants to invest 25 Billion GBP over the next ten years in renewable energy and off shore wind farms and hydrogen and electric mobility and renewable energy .

Shell have made a profit this year due to previously investing in the future and then made a loss . 

Confiscating their profits this year through windfall tax may not be the best long term solution 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Shell wants to invest 25 Billion GBP over the next ten years in renewable energy and off shore wind farms and hydrogen and electric mobility and renewable energy .

Shell have made a profit this year due to previously investing in the future and then made a loss . 

Confiscating their profits this year through windfall tax may not be the best long term solution 

Shell doesn't seem to be bothered about their PR

While this move is likely to please shareholders it is likely to bring down the red mist elsewhere when it comes to what Shell is doing with its excess cash. $18.5bn in share buybacks so far year to date and a 15% rise in dividends

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Shell doesn't seem to be bothered about their PR

While this move is likely to please shareholders it is likely to bring down the red mist elsewhere when it comes to what Shell is doing with its excess cash. $18.5bn in share buybacks so far year to date and a 15% rise in dividends

The Shell share price fell by about 50 % in two years and its currently lower then it was in 2014 .

People who bought shares may have lost money over the years , its a bit unfair to now take profits away from them in windfall taxation  . 

As predicated .

A Labour M.P stating that Sunaks appointment "isnt a win for diversity because he isn't on your side "

Sir Keir Starmer has failed to condemn Labour MP Nadia Whittome after she launched an attack on Rishi Sunak. Earlier this week, Ms Whittome said that Mr Sunak's appointment as Prime Minister is "not a win for diversity". The MP for Nottingham caused outrage after she said Mr Sunak, as Britain's first Prime Minister of Asian heritage, was "not on your side".

The tweet was deleted on Monday after Ms Whittome was contacted by Labour headquarters and urged to take it down.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1688091/Keir-Starmer-Labour-MP-attack-Rishi-Sunak-race-Nadia-Whittome

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Shell share price fell by about 50 % in two years and its currently lower then it was in 2014 .

People who bought shares may have lost money over the years , its a bit unfair to now take profits away from them in windfall taxation  . 

Shell said it did not yet owe any taxes under the new levy, having not made a profit in the UK since 2017 because of its investments.

Ben van Buerden, chief executive of the oil and gas giant, said he accepted the case for higher taxes 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/27/talks-government-ministers-consider-new-windfall-tax0/

Rishi Sunak plans to expand windfall tax grab

The Prime Minister could target energy firms as he tries to raise billions of pounds to balance the books

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/27/rishi-sunak-plans-expand-windfall-tax-grab/

Seems Shell are expecting an increase on the windfall taxes

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Shell said it did not yet owe any taxes under the new levy, having not made a profit in the UK since 2017 because of its investments.

Ben van Buerden, chief executive of the oil and gas giant, said he accepted the case for higher taxes 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/27/talks-government-ministers-consider-new-windfall-tax0/

Rishi Sunak plans to expand windfall tax grab

The Prime Minister could target energy firms as he tries to raise billions of pounds to balance the books

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/27/rishi-sunak-plans-expand-windfall-tax-grab/

Seems Shell are expecting an increase on the windfall taxes

Why not just not charge people as much for their energy bills ?

Reduce the energy bills ?

yes the torys are living on borrowed time like john  majors gumment back in the 80s they have fouled their beds and wont recover ,,the red wall of ex labour irks will never vote for sunak in a milllion years.. there are no tory safe seats except for boris seat...not sure if captain hindsite can do any better ,prolly many wasted voting slips and a very low turnout next time out,,

the voters were peed off with john major for causing a recession and moved over to labour en masse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

yes the torys are living on borrowed time like john  majors gumment back in the 80s they have fouled their beds and wont recover ,,the red wall of ex labour irks will never vote for sunak in a milllion years.. there are no tory safe seats except for boris seat...not sure if captain hindsite can do any better ,prolly many wasted voting slips and a very low turnout next time out,,

the voters were peed off with john major for causing a recession and moved over to labour en masse

In the latest Polls, Sunak is more popular than Labour leader S........... Whatever his name is , Kier someone 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

But Labour are more popular than the Tories.

At the moment yes , but when Boris/Truss were PMs the  Conservatives popularity significantly decreased and Labour were ahead by about by  150% (Con 22% v Labour 53 % ) and the margin kept growing .

Now that Boris/Truss have gone , Conservatives have gained ground on Labour and within two years when the next elections are scheduled , Cons may be back in front .

Sunakmay lead the Cons to a next election victory , something Boris probably wouldn't have done 

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

At the moment yes , but when Boris/Truss were PMs the  Conservatives popularity significantly decreased and Labour were ahead by about by  150% (Con 22% v Labour 53 % ) and the margin kept growing .

Now that Boris/Truss have gone , Conservatives have gained ground on Labour and within two years when the next elections are scheduled , Cons may be back in front .

Sunakmay lead the Cons to a next election victory , something Boris probably wouldn't have done 

Very debatable. Following Truss's disastrous premiership, imo basically anyone - apart from a serial killer or convicted pedophile - would have lead to a bounce in Tory support in the short term. Whether this improvement can be maintained and whether it is enough to gain victory at the next election are two completely different matters; a 20% difference is a lot to overturn especially if - as promised - we are in for tough times.

Imo - and for reasons I can't comprehend - Johnson is still the Tory's best chance of winning the next election. Hopefully, he won't get the chance to prove this one way or the other.

Edited by RayC
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

Imo - and for reasons I can't comprehend - Johnson is still the Tory's best chance of winning the next election. Hopefully, he won't get the chance to prove this one way or the other.

You dont want Tories to win the next election and you don't want a Tory Prime minister who could lead the Tories to a win , so you've convinced yourself that Boris would be the better PM and that Sunak is the lesser choice ?

Boris performance in the polls indicated he would nt get voted in next time as his unpopularity was increasing just a 31 % approval rating in the polls when he departed as PM .

Should have stuck with Boris if you wanted a Labour win

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You dont want Tories to win the next election and you don't want a Tory Prime minister who could lead the Tories to a win , so you've convinced yourself that Boris would be the better PM and that Sunak is the lesser choice ?

Once again you accuse me of contradicting myself where - once again - no contradiction exists: Your conclusion is the result of flawed logic.

At no point have I stated - either implicitly or explicitly - that I believe that Johnson would be a better PM than either Sunak or Starmer. In fact, I believe the exact opposite.

What I said is that 'Johnson remains the best chance of a Tory victory at the next general election'. Do I believe that Johnson will lead the Tories into the next election and that he would win it? As things currently stand, 'No' and 'No'. However, many things will no doubt change over the next two years, and I'll probably change my view if the facts and the electorate's feeling change.

Boris performance in the polls indicated he would nt get voted in next time as his unpopularity was increasing just a 31 % approval rating in the polls when he departed as PM .

Agreed but see below.

Not really. For reasons I can't fathom, Johnson is still the most popular Tory politician according to YouGov albeit with a negative poll rating.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was the tory parliamentary party who removed johnson. 

No one else. 

Seriously doubt they want a labour govt, though you wouldn’t think this going by their recent behaviour. 

johnson was removed by them because he was a liability and untrustworthy. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 12:07 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Shell have done absolutely nothing to earn the profits they are receiving as a direct result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Everything above the price of oil before the invasion is windfall,  wing paid for by increased consumer bills and inflation.

The Government borrowing money to give to consumers to pay the higher prices is a direct subsidy to Oil and Gas supplier profits and will be paid for with higher taxes at a later date.

The far more sensible and fiscally responsible response is a windfall tax and use that, not borrowed money to support consumers in need.

Corporate profits protected by government borrowing is absolute lunacy.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 11:32 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Didn't Shell make losses in previous years and they need to pay off their debt ?

I am quoting Shell because they are the latest to declare, but all the oil companies are making record profits.  The government are coming under more and more pressure to impose proper windfall taxes.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Edited and added 

The problem with government reports is that they are government reports.  Let's not pretend that they will be accurate at any level.

I live in Tory heartland (my local MP is Raab) and for the first time I am getting requests to support our local food banks which are opening up all over the borough.  They are also looking for volunteers to man them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I am quoting Shell because they are the latest to declare, but all the oil companies are making record profits.  The government are coming under more and more pressure to impose proper windfall taxes.

I got a full refund on my last electric bill , my electric Company paid my electric bill  

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2022 at 6:50 PM, DezLez said:

No they should not!

Only the daft left would support the idea that a company can plan ahead and make their profits (or losses) under the laws existing when they made their decisions but then be told that the laws have just changed so cough up and pay an unplanned and illegal tax which will totally  f#ck up your current investment plans in the UK economy. (and f#ck up the UK economy at the same time!)

Oh, BTW Mr. investor please invest all that money which we have just stolen from you, and you no longer have, and invest it in the North Sea (or other essential fabric of the UK) so that we can introduce another new and unforeseen tax if you do actually make a profit and help the country prosper!

Windfall taxes are not ‘illegal’.

The investments made in the North Sea were based in the price of crude, and were being repaid with profits at the pre-war price.

Nobody invested in North Sea exploration on the basis of the current war driven crude prices.

Meanwhile what is actually happening is the Government are borrowing money to pay the profits of the energy companies, the borrowed money will be paid back with taxes, which you assert are theft, but these taxes are going to be paid for by the public.

Cash handouts to corporations to fatten their windfall profits, poverty and more taxes for the public.

It’s the Tory way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

mentioned in  press today

So you didn't provide a link ?

I didn't think that it was true .

Boris has recently been ousted as PM and didnt have the support to get his PM job back .

It wouldn't make any sense for the Conservatives to bring Boris back into contention