One way ticket.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your comment presented a degree of validation towards someones ‘personal experience’ which contradicts official advice....   

Your interpretation and comprehension  is the problem not what I wrote. Feel free to skip past anything you dont agree with.

5 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not necessarily true. Yes some airlines do check but not all, nor always. I've never been asked for an onward ticket and I've traveled to Thailand since 1984, well over 100 times on a variety of airlines. Does it make sense to have yes but if you feel lucky and wanna roll the dice, go for it. 

I have travelled extensively in all continents for decades. No airlines have ever asked me for onward flight tickets. IOs in Zurich asked me once for a Schengen exit ticket. I told her I will buy one in Portugal where I intend to fly from Lisbon to London. But she chatted with me for 10 minutes about my world travel and experiences and then let me enter. That's why I said hit and miss. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, persimmon said:

Here`s a thought - what if you print your boarding pass online , or use the machine at the airport to print you BP , how will they check if you have a visa or onward flight then ?

Many flights do not have online check in or "machine" at airport.

Even ones that do often have final check at boarding gate.

One example AirAsia to places such as Vietnam, Japan etc have final check at boarding gate. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, aussiexpat said:

Ask your airline if you're allowed to board with one way flight. I've travelled 14 years with no onward flight and never had a problem 

If you ask your airline and they say yes it's ok you have no problem (as immigration not likely to ask or care)

You never know what check in counter staff requires as rtn ticket is a requirement. Check with your Thai embassy rules.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You said it....  “If you feel lucky and wanna roll the dice”....    I think most people don’t want to roll the dice when it concerns international travel.

Flying from France Nice every year on Emirates, I have always been asked for my onward flight regardless. Never at immigration.  I always had a cheap onward flight to satisfy .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, DrJack54 said:

There we have it. 

Proof an onward ticket is NEVER asked for by airline for folk flying to Thailand without a visa or reentry permit. 

Absolute nonsense and will heavily precis

Firstly every single time I have had trips longer than 30 days (in the past) the check in staff routed through the passport to check if a  visa in place

Not withstanding that twice I have "flown" on effectively a one way ticket using return portion of Bkk-Lon-Bkk and without a visa on the first

First time on Emirates I was offloaded at check on Gatwick Bangkok in 2007....thankfully I was very nicely dressed that day and appealed to their better nature....the check in staff were pretty adamant they went off to supervisor who further declined me so I very politely asked to speak to "head of station" at Gatwick (Emirates)

He came down eventually and to cut a long story short I agreed to sign an indemnity for the $2000 should I be declined at Bangkok immigration......yep we all know they never check (or certainly didnt back then) at immigration BUT the airline does care. I was off that flight. Very fortunately I clearly came across well to Emirates....I was VERY lucky that day

In early 2009 a trip I'd rather forget lol I checked in at Heathrow on Etihad one way.....immediately check in girl went looking for the tourist visa and this time it was there

They do check and if you're relying on check in staff to ignore than in the immortal words of Butch than "I cant help you Sundance" 

Edited by Chivas

11 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Absolute nonsense and will heavily precis

He was being sarcastic in reply to another post that said the were not needed. 

On 10/26/2022 at 7:17 PM, Deserted said:

In all the years I have flown with a one way, I don't recall ever being stopped or asked about it once. 

13 minutes ago, Chivas said:

What ??

I have posted numerous times (too many) stating that onward flight may be asked for by airline at departure.

Also suggesting options such as throw away ticket and "onwardflight.com" etc.

In these threads there will always be folk that come along with posts of personal experience over many years of not needing onward flight and not having a visa or reentry permit, then the to and fro starts.

I was being sarcastic in that one person's personal experience counts for little.

Seems to me that low cost airlines are more likely to have this requirement and also the route.

From places such as Vietnam to Thailand you will be asked for onward flight flying visa exempt at departure by airline (eg AirAsia).

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I have posted numerous times (too many) stating that onward flight may be asked for by airline at departure.

In these threads there will always be folk that come along with posts of personal experience over many years of not needing onward flight and not having a visa or reentry permit, then the to and fro starts.

I was being sarcastic in that one person's personal experience counts for little.

Seems to me that low cost airlines are more likely to have this requirement and also the route.

From places such as Vietnam to Thailand you will be asked for onward flight flying visa exempt at departure by airline (eg AirAsia).

Agreed.....   these messages are sometimes posted with the implication that those who advise an onward ticket is necessary are incorrect, or at least their posts could be interpreted that way by someone looking for sensible advice....  

These posters never seem to recognise the flaw in their logic when posting such experience...

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

These posters never seem to recognise the flaw in their logic when posting such experience.

On the point of logic.....

I have never understood how an onward flight helps the airline in the event of someone being refused entry. 

In general the person would be flown back to point of origin so how does an onward flight help. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

On the point of logic.....

I have never understood how an onward flight helps the airline in the event of someone being refused entry. 

In general the person would be flown back to point of origin so how does an onward flight help. 

I agree, it doesn't - and that makes the argument for such a ticket pointless.

The airline's obligations are not diminished by having an onward flight (a paid for return flight with the same airline would balance the coffers).

So, the question remains - why would an airline ask for on onward ticket. I see no/minimal benefit to them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2022 at 6:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you have a valid visa to use for entry to the country no return or onward ticket is required.

If entering visa exempt the airline can as to see a return or onward ticket out of the country within 30 days of entry.

Not 45 days?

I came back to LOS in August, fling THAI, with an expired Non O retirement in my passport, flying in on 1 way ticket from  LHR.  Frustrated by the requirements to get a Non IM visa on line, I flew visa exempt , but bought the cheapest onward flight I could find, about 30UKP, I think, not wanting to have any problems at the airport.

AS others have noted, not asked about onward ticket at check-in.  AT SVB, I/O looked at my expired Non O and told me she could only give me a 30 day visa exempt.  

At local I/O ( Phayao) I asked to convert this to Non IM for retirement..  Had to go back 3 days later, and sign all the forms, and was given a 90 day Non O, and charged 2000B for the visa, and 8,000 for "Services" ( all the forms were filled in for me and all copies made.  I also had to get bank statements as for Retirement visa. Told to come back in the last month of this new visa and get the normal 365 day retirement extension.  Now waiting to do this next month.

I know the 8,000 was a blatant rip-off, but kept I/O happy and cheaper than using an agent.

I'll report the success or otherwise of getting the visa extension next month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So, the question remains - why would an airline ask for on onward ticket. I see no/minimal benefit to them.

All I can think of is they are wrongly of the assumption that Thai immigration ask for onward flight  on arrival.

As we know that rarely happens.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 8:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Ah... the ‘seat belt’ argument....   I never had a crash so never needed a seatbelt !!...

Op: As UbonJoe and DrJack54 wrote... 

- Visa exempt = you should have a a return ticket

- With visa = no need an onward ticket

Ubon Joe didn't say that, neither did Dr Jack. Please see posts 2 and 3 in this thread.

But I suspect that the misquote better suits your agenda.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not 45 days?

Yes presently the onward ticket would need to be within 45.

Most likely the airline not even up with current change to 45.

If it's a rent a ticket or throw away prob best to keep it within 30. 

If it's a genuine flight out at eg 43 days I would also have screenshot of the announcement of the 45 days till March 31. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:41 AM, richard_smith237 said:

That said: there is an IATA* list of information that the airlines themselves use - its is the information on this site that the Airlines rely on when checking documentation.

*I can’t seem to find that IATA site.

The IATA site is Timatic.  I like to use the Emirates interface to it which can be found here:

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/before-you-fly/visa-passport-information/

It confirms the information used by the airlines has been updated to reflect the change to 45 days on arrival for visa exempt entry.  Here's the data for a British passport holder:

image.png.298755550dadd928a8cd33fc4f63dd07.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:
On 10/26/2022 at 8:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Ah... the ‘seat belt’ argument....   I never had a crash so never needed a seatbelt !!...

Op: As UbonJoe and DrJack54 wrote... 

Expand  

Ubon Joe didn't say that, neither did Dr Jack. Please see posts 2 and 3 in this thread.

But I suspect that the misquote better suits your agenda.

Perhaps work on your reading comprehension....

Here.... I colour coded it for you... 

Now... what agenda are you implying ???

On 10/26/2022 at 6:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you have a valid visa to use for entry to the country no return or onward ticket is required.

If entering visa exempt the airline can as to see a return or onward ticket out of the country within 30 days of entry.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:10 PM, DrJack54 said:

Your extension has expired. 

Guessing your plan is to return visa exempt.

First step will be to obtain a non O in Thailand.

Then later obtain a 12 month extension. 

If that's the case you may be asked by airline to show onward flight.

If you are obtaining the non O in the UK an onward flight is not required. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

All I can think of is they are wrongly of the assumption that Thai immigration ask for onward flight  on arrival.

As we know that rarely happens.

Agreed... however, as the airline is legally accountable for the ‘onward or return’ travel of a passenger should immigration refuse entry they are ensuring all their ‘ducks are in a row’ and complying with immigration guidelines....  theoretically, Immigration don’t need to check as they know the airline already has... 

This is also why airlines will check the 6 month validity issue.... But allow travel to ’some’ destinations with a passport of less than 6 months, IF that country does not have a regulation preventing entry on less than 6 months. 

For example: Singapore will not permit entry if your passport has less than 6 months validity. Upon check-in, airlines will check this (many will anyway).

IF however you are travelling to Japan and your passport has less than a 6 month validity and your return flight is within that passport expiry period the airline will permit travel IF you sign an affidavit confirming the airline is not responsible for any onward costs should there be an issue with immigration at the destination. 

Obviously, the most sensible advice in any such scenario is to always ensure you are traveling on a passport with greater than 6 months validity to avoid any confusion, discussion, debate etc at the check-in counter. 

Ultimately, all of this discussion is about avoiding and such confusion, discussion, debate and potential disappointment at the check-in counter. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I flew from Frankfurt to Bangkok with a one way ticket (Thai airways) arriving Bangok visa-exempt (as my Type-OA was invalided by my leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit).  I had an inexpensive, legitimate, one way ticket out Thailand (Krabi to KL) but Thai Airways never asked for it. They did call me up to the counter in Bangkok, paged through my passport, saw the Type-OA-Visa and extension stamps, but likely missed that the OA was invalid.  

When I arrived in Bangkok Airport at immigration, the IO asked for my Ticket. I showed my boarding pass and the IO repeated, she wanted my ticket.  I was digging through my backpack to get both my original FRA-BKK ticket, and my 'Krabi-to-KL' throw away ticket, when my Thai wife the IO exchanged some words in Thai, and the IO waved me through without having to show a ticket.  I never expected the immigration IO to ask for my ticket.

Further on this topic,consistent with Dr Jack54's comment, a friend who recently flew from Vietnam to Thailand, planning to arrive Thailand visa-exempt, was asked in Vietnam, for his ticket, showing his departure from Thailand.  He had a throw-away ticket which he showed and so he was allowed to board.  He was not asked for his ticket on arrival in Bangkok.

My opinion is having a 'throwaway' ticket is a good idea for some cases (such as entering Thailand 'visa-exempt' ).

Edited by oldcpu

5 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

My opinion is having a 'throwaway' ticket is a good idea for some cases (such as entering Thailand 'visa-exempt' ).

Certainly is. 

Surprised io on arrival requested onward flight from you. Not usual but certainly can happen.

I often mention Vietnam as prior to covid flew there every month for years. 

AA not a busy counter there and when no one waiting I have had chat with check in staff.

This occured when lady could not find my reentry permit.

Due to very frequent travel it was pages back..

Eventually I took pp back and showed reentry permit ...

All good.

Then I asked her "what if I use visa waiver."

Reply: No visa MUST have flight out"

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Do you know if AirAsia at HCMC airport accept a screenshot of an onward flight booking, or do they need a printout?

I cannot state with certainty but I have used a screenshot from Melb to HCMC. 

Also read reports where a screenshot of onward flight has been accepted. 

• Thanks 2