What items would you bring in your luggage from USA?

Elkski

We will be taking a trip to Thailand and wifey is insisting on taking 4 big suitcases.  Mainly for her to bring things, mainly 99% food items back.   

In the past, before the x-ray machines were installed I brought 15 pairs of women's jeans 2 times, 2 loads of coach purses, 1 suitcase full of t shirts for a teachers students.  Justin Bieber was the most popular t shirt.  

For some reason my wife keeps eyeing a set of dining utensils to bring mom.  Can't you get good quality fork and spoon sets in Thailand?  I'm thinking a set of color coded plastic cutting boards.  The crusty log rings used for cutting raw meat it produce just bothers me.   

I did think about dismantling a 1979' Yamaha 175 a guy is trying to sell me.   Would that be valuable? 

• Haha 2

Unless you are somehow getting all that excess baggage for free, forget about it. 

Good utensils available at better stores (Central, Robinsons) Plastic cutting boards everywhere from B20 stores to department stores. 

Doritos, cheese popcorn, Cape Cod potato chips, Cheeze-Its, Reeses Cups: now that's a different matter.

Customs guy will really appreciate that '79 Yammie. "So Sorry, can not import used vehicles, leave it over in the corner.  Don't forget the keys"

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

Depending on the airline you only get 25Kg per person in checked bags and everything you might need here is already here.  If you feel you MUST take a bunch of food stuffs back then you are going to have to declare it and US Customs is going to thoroughly exam all of it and anything else in your bags.  Good luck!

Yes 2 bags of 23 kg per person are included in international flights.  Packing the Yamaha was kind of a joke.  But I do have the original owner trying to sell his to me.  I told him I think it's only worth 200-400$. But just yesterday he said he is still interested in selling it to me.  Perhaps he is wanting to trade against my bill for lots of handyman services rendered.   It would be perfect transport if I still had my truck camper.   I did eye some Reese's cups at checkout yesterday I think .88$ or 25 baht.  I do like em but can resist if they are not in the pantry.  I do miss the normal size Pringles when I'm in Thailand.   Perhaps 2 good 1 liter bottles of whiskey?  I also miss good cheese and bread.    Perhaps 5 kg of mesquite chunks for smoking some pork butts.  

Edited by Elkski

9 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

Depending on the airline you only get 25Kg per person in checked bags and everything you might need here is already here.  If you feel you MUST take a bunch of food stuffs back then you are going to have to declare it and US Customs is going to thoroughly exam all of it and anything else in your bags.  Good luck!

On one return trip I did get a detailed luggage search.  Yes that powder is fiber.  Yes I have a few extra condoms.  2 guys just bored at the airport and I was next in the que to be waved on or searched.   

How could you put a m'bike in a suitcase? You might be able to put it in a few suitcases, but the excess baggage charge would make buying one in LOS cheaper.

Edit.

I see that was a joke.

I did once take a kitchen sink back home with me from Thailand, so thought it was being serious.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

14 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

I get the impression his wife is Thai, so when he talks about "taking back" I think he means "back to Thailand". I thought he meant "back to the US" at first too.

• Like 1

They have Reese's here too.  You can get lots of different cheeses and breads here too from stores like villa.  They will even ship it to you if you don't live close.  They are also available on lazada.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elkski said:

Yes 2 bags of 23 kg per person are included in international flights.  Packing the Yamaha was kind of a joke.  But I do have the original owner trying to sell his to me.  I told him I think it's only worth 200-400$. But just yesterday he said he is still interested in selling it to me.  Perhaps he is wanting to trade against my bill for lots of handyman services rendered.   It would be perfect transport if I still had my truck camper.   I did eye some Reese's cups at checkout yesterday I think .88$ or 25 baht.  I do like em but can resist if they are not in the pantry.  I do miss the normal size Pringles when I'm in Thailand.   Perhaps 2 good 1 liter bottles of whiskey?  I also miss good cheese and bread.    Perhaps 5 kg of mesquite chunks for smoking some pork butts.  

I just ran the gauntlet SFO to BKK, bought an extra suitcase just for food, junk food and trinkets. I had 3 check in suitcases total for 2 people. I mixed it up between the suitcases so one suitcase didn't have too much. No problem. Been doing this for a number of years but story of xray at BKK keeps me on my toes.

Higher end electronics, as usually better version & cheaper in USA.

Food would be the last thing I'd bring, since heavy, bulky, and cost of excess baggage would negate any savings, along with duty risks.

Nothing in USA food wise I can't make here, especially since not a bit fan of processed food.

Just now, Qman said:

Sun screen lotion tends to be expensive in Thailand so would bring some if you plan to use it.  Also certain over the counter vitamins are pricey here.

Those are 2 items I bring back along with Crest toothpaste. Bunch of acne medicines for daughter. Endless list.

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

Perhaps 2 good 1 liter bottles of whiskey?

A max of 1 litre of alcoholic beverages is permitted. 

There's no mechanism in place to pay duty on any excess (same with the tobacco limits of 200 cigarettes / 250g of pipe/rolling tobacco).

40 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Those are 2 items I bring back along with Crest toothpaste. Bunch of acne medicines for daughter. Endless list.

Meds be careful, as usually, only 30 day supply of any is allowed.  Verify that of course.  Though unless insurance paying 100% for it, can't imagine any meds cheaper from the USA.

We could have 4 big checked in bags for free to Thailand between the two of us.  I think a 175 would fit.  Wife is Thai.  She does want to take a few things to thailand but her main  thing is to bring back food items, spices, sauces and beauty creams that she doesn't think we have.    I know it's 1 liter of booze per person. So 2 liters we  can bring.   I won't need condoms this trip.  Or will I?   Haha.  How much is a liter of johnny Walker black in Thailand?  I really don't want 4 big bags.  Most cabs will not fit so much luggage.  

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Meds be careful, as usually, only 30 day supply of any is allowed.  Verify that of course.  Though unless insurance paying 100% for it, can't imagine any meds cheaper from the USA.

Over the counter medication for acne, pad cleaners and such. 

We bring back from the UK.

(1) My favourite Sausages 4 kilos

(2) Cadburys chocolate loads

(3) Cheese 2 kilo

(4) Anti pirspirant loads

(5) Shaving gel

(6) My medication 7 months worth

Many other things I cant remember. All the above expensive in Thailand. 

Never been checked coming out of UK and the x ray machines at BKK are rarely used, just there for show.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, jimn said:

We bring back from the UK.

(1) My favourite Sausages 4 kilos

(2) Cadburys chocolate loads

(3) Cheese 2 kilo

(4) Anti pirspirant loads

(5) Shaving gel

(6) My medication 7 months worth

Many other things I cant remember. All the above expensive in Thailand. 

Never been checked coming out of UK and the x ray machines at BKK are rarely used, just there for show.

You've been lucky, importation of meat and meat-based products into Thailand is prohibited.

Although you are probably right about the X'ray machines.

Yes I need shaving gel not foam <deleted>. 

Are highly processed meats  like jerky and sausage banned.  Was thinking about turkey jerky.  I have brought it before. Just for personal use.  I carry nuts, energy bars, crackers, jerky, candy for layovers and snacks on travels.  

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You've been lucky, importation of meat and meat-based products into Thailand is prohibited.

Although you are probably right about the X'ray machines.

Been doing it for 10 years. Used to bring bacon as well, lol.

I would bring a little Reeses, favourite wine or liquor, maybe your favourite shampoo and soap. Any clothes others say they can't find. Play tennis so bring strings, grips and shoes.

Shaving Gel, Boots brands is just like Gillette, Cheese Makro Mainland Vintage Cheddar Cheese, Cheese Doritos in Lotus, Big C, Tops Coles Double Chocolate Brownie mix is good, Beatty Crocker Chocolate Chip cookie mix Tops, or Lotus. Shirts and shorts are cheap.  Can find decent pair of shoes and add gel insoles to make comfortable.  I use the Biore UV Aqua off Lazada that is value priced and it actually works well. My choice advance sunscreen good zinc oxide for pool or beach.  

As others have noted with a little work you can find almost anything in Thailand.

I've talked to ladies at the baggage claim in Thailand and one lady said her suitcase was full of Costco vitamins.  Oh I brought 12 pairs of thrift store finds of women's designer jeans and Levi's.  Levi shrink to fit 501s have had 2 price increases this year the sales lady said the other day.  So 49$. But I recall in Thailand 3 years ago they were like 80usd.