Non-immigrant "O" based on Thai Child - Beware Chaengwattana

I had my application for an extension of stay based on being the parent of a Thai child declined today at Chaeng Wattana because the balance in my account dipped marginally below 400,000 THB less than a month before my application. My balance was over 750,000 today but it didn't matter a jot.

To my knowledge, this is a new rule.

I've been getting this same extension for 6 or 7 years from CW and as far as I knew, there was no need for seasoning or requirements for time-sensitive minimum balances.

I got my extensions in previous years even if the balance had dropped to 200k 2 weeks before my application.

SI was sent away with a 2 month extension and asked to come back no sooner than 17th November to re-submit my application (provided, of course, the balance in my account doesn't dip below 400,000 again before then). I'm going to have to pull my child out of class again for this annual hoop-jumping nonsense.

Not a happy camper

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The 400k on day of application is for a non O based on marriage.

The OP is applying for 12 month extension. 

Requirement is 400k two months prior to application and maintained for the under consideration period. 

Wrong Information

3 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

I have already given the correct information in my  post above.

Looks to me like the IO made a mistake.

Please outline where my posts contain "wrong information"

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Requirement is 400k two months prior to application and maintained for the under consideration period. 

Wrong Information

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Requirement is 400k on the day of application only.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The requirements are clear. 

Why blame others for your mistake.

You state...

" I got my extensions in previous years even if the balance had dropped to 200k 2 weeks before my application." 

Amazing....you should not have been given an extension. 

You state ...

"I've been getting this same extension for 6 or 7 years from CW and as far as I knew, there was no need for seasoning or requirements for time-sensitive minimum balances"...

That statement makes no sense.

The requirements are clear 

Might add very generous compared to financials for extensions based on retirement.

You could apply for 60 day extension to visit family to fix up your mistake. 

You don't know what you're talking about so you should remain silent.
This is NOT a non-immigrant "O" extension based on marriage.

It's based on being a parent to a Thai child.

There are NO seasoning requirements for a non-immigrant "O" extension on this basis.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The requirements are clear. 

Why blame others for your mistake.

You state...

" I got my extensions in previous years even if the balance had dropped to 200k 2 weeks before my application." 

Amazing....you should not have been given an extension. 

You state ...

"I've been getting this same extension for 6 or 7 years from CW and as far as I knew, there was no need for seasoning or requirements for time-sensitive minimum balances"...

That statement makes no sense.

The requirements are clear 

Might add very generous compared to financials for extensions based on retirement.

You could apply for 60 day extension to visit family to fix up your mistake. 

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well correct it.

The OP is applying for extension not a non O .

Did you read the OP.

He is applying for an extension. 

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Wrong Information

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is for application for a non O.

The OP is clearly not applying for a non O.

He was applying for an extension.

5 posts in a row that are completely wrong. Is that a record for cluelessness? ????????????

12 month Non-O extensions based on child, not marriage, didn't require seasoning, the funds only need to be in your account on the day of the application for the 12 month extension. 

• Like 1

From the order quoted by @Lite Beerabove it does seem that the IO got it wrong. Good luck with trying to get it corrected. IMO Chaeng Wattana are usually the straightest and most professional of offices. I never let my account go 1 Satang less than the stated amount ever. This avoids any chance of an issue such as the above. Might not be fair but arguing unlikely to be successful. Op, go back on the date they stated and be warned for the future.

Edited by soi3eddie

11 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) The alien must have proof of relationship. (3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or (4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: or

5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

Can you tell me where you obtained this?

I'd like to take it with me when I go back to immigration next month to resubmit my application and use it as the basis for a written appeal should I be declined on the same grounds (of course, I'll make sure the funds don't go below the required amount but you never know with immigration).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I never let my account go 1 Satang less than the stated amount ever. This avoids any chance of an issue such as the above.

I’ve never had an issue when drawing down funds during the year underneath what is required on date of application/seasoning. That’s what it’s there for, to live on. In a way it could look suspicious when one doesn’t spend since it could point to acquiring funds through work—if one were sans permit. 

Jack: yep, you dropped a clanger there ????

11 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Jack: yep, you dropped a clanger there ????

Being on the turps doesn't cut it as an excuse in court and even more so on AseanNow.

Yep I stuffed up there. 

Seems OP is returning to his immigration office so hopefully can set them straight. 

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Dr Jack,

I like,  and appreciate most of your helpful comments and advice..

But my imm office (PT) do NOT require the 400k to still be in the bank during the " under consideration period " (marriage  ext).

So with great respec, I would suggest that you qualify this that "certain" IO may demand it. It is NOT a written requirement. 

But perhaps CW is one of those (as you often refer to) as a rogue outfit. 

Cheers

Had an issue renewing my yearly extension on dependant visa for being sole guardian to my son the other day also, mine was up country and not in bkk.

This is my 5th extension I was going for and had all documents x 2 ( salary income for proof of income for 12 months, bank statements, court and amphur docs stating I’m sole guardian, anyway all docs were correct but they was trying there hardest to refuse it or find something wrong!!

had to go back the following day with a Thai witness saying it was my kid etc etc.

Wanted my parents names and dates of births, the witness also her families details and their blue books, they was just making it as difficult as possible.

Also got 60 day under consideration stamp instead of usual 30!!

I don’t understand why this year they made it so difficult…. They made me feel like I was doing something illegal, when everything was in order and all docs correct!!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

So with great respec, I would suggest that you qualify this that "certain" IO may demand it. It is NOT a written requirement

You are correct.

Don't recall even ONE report of not maintaining the 400k during under consideration period causing major issue. 

Have read reports of the io giving slight reprimand.

I just suggest to maintain the funds during the under consideration period. 

All bit off topic as this thread relates to extension based on parent of Thai and I earlier apologized for my posts thinking it was marriage extension. 

• Haha 1

I have thought of using dependant thai child visa when I retire next year.

What is the opinion of you visa gurus out there? Is it easier to obtain than the marriage or "retirement" visa in regards to paperwork, requirements etc? Paperwork was never my strong point. The deposit criteria is not a problem.

Also is it worth using an agent? They seem to charge around 40K baht to do it. Some have said that they can set up a bank account and I dont even need to deposit the 400K or 800K into the account. How can that work as it suggests something dodgy to me. Are any of these agents licensed by the government or just all freelancers?

The bank account issue has always confused me (Im getting old) as it seems very catch 22. You need to open an account to get the visa but you need the visa to open the account.

Am I missing something here? Is it a problem with my logic or just a product of the slow deterioration of my ageing brain cells?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Hugh Cow

3 hours ago, scottyp1980 said:

The IO did say to keep in contact with  her through line after a few weeks as she said good chance it’ll be ready before the 60 days.

is this correct??

It could be approved by the division headquarters before the 60 days ends. You can check with immigration to find out if it has been approved.

My experience of it being approved prior on the date on the under consideration stamp is not good. My wife has called immigration a day or 2 before the report date and they had not received the approval yet. This year she called on Friday since the report date was on a weekend and they did not have the approval back. On Monday morning the officer called her to tell her they had received it. She then went to immigration that afternoon and got my stamp done.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It could be approved by the division headquarters before the 60 days ends. You can check with immigration to find out if it has been approved.

My experience of it being approved prior on the date on the under consideration stamp is not good. My wife has called immigration a day or 2 before the report date and they had not received the approval yet. This year she called on Friday since the report date was on a weekend and they did not have the approval back. On Monday morning the officer called her to tell her they had received it. She then went to immigration that afternoon and got my stamp done.

Thanks for the useful info again. All I can do is try I suppose and if it hasn’t been approved before the 60 days I’ll just have to wait.

thx again