Tourists given suspended jail sentences/fines after Bangkok-Sathorn raid

webfact

15 hours ago, bradiston said:

2100 THB fine? £50? Why bother? Who was given 1 month, and who 2? Ditto the 8-16k fines? Are they deterrents or inducements? Pay 2000 THB and you can do what you like for an evening! Ah well, who cares?

What do you expect them to get for using drugs? it's not like they were selling or distributing. Assuming it's their first (caught) offense then suspended sentences are appropriate. If they get caught again I'm sure they'll throw the book at them though.

12 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

Chinese are Farang, only people born in Thailand are not Farang

Chinese aren't Farangs, they are Khun Jeen.

Have you ever looked at one? Something wrong with your eyes if their features look anything like a Stale White Person. ????

14 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Have you ever looked at one? Something wrong with your eyes if their features look anything like a Stale White Person. ????

Do you mean Khon Jeen? Chinese person/people? Like Khon Farang, Khon Kairk, Khon Allab, etc etc. Khun Jeen means something else, a respectful form of address to someone called Jeen.

Edited by bradiston

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai man was convicted after admitting to taking a prohibited liquid drug and acquiring funds illegally. 

He was fined 4,200 baht reduced in half due to admission. 

This is the relevant case. The others for some reason all got larger fines and heftier sentences, suspended. I don't know what "acquiring funds illegally" means. Dealing?

On 10/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, barnsleyman said:

as I've already said Farang is what Thais call Foreigners, and it means ANYBODY not born in Thailand irrespective of their colour or the Country where they were born.I am not a newbie, I have lived in Thailnd 15 years next February.

Farang = Caucasian

Khon Dtang Chaat = Foreigner

15 years? You sound like a newbie fresh of the boat with that comment lol. Time to learn some very basic Thai

Edited by bbi1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:26 PM, crazykopite said:

And TAT want Chinese tourists to come in there millions once this is published in China I doubt there will be many coming to the land of smiles 

Why would millions of Chinese tourists give a damn about a couple of druggies stupid enough to commit a crime in a foreign country? Did millions of tourists stop going to Bali after they caught those heroin smuggling begpackers? 

Edited by cocoonclub

On 10/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, barnsleyman said:

you are wrong, the word Farang means Foreigner, so anybody not born in Thailand is a Farang, ie;-Foreigner.

Noun. farang (plural farangs) A foreigner in Thailand who is of Western ancestry; one who comes to Thailand from a Western country.

15 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Farang = Caucasian

Khon Dtang Chaat = Foreigner

15 years? You sound like a newbie fresh of the boat with that comment lol. Time to learn some very basic Thai

Noun. farang (plural farangs) A foreigner in Thailand who is of Western ancestry; one who comes to Thailand from a Western country.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, carlyai said:

Khon (or in many cases in Thailand and Cambodia 'Con') not Khun Jeen. I am sure they also have more than their fair share of 'stale' people too. 

Edited by Spock

On 10/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What do you expect them to get for using drugs? it's not like they were selling or distributing. Assuming it's their first (caught) offense then suspended sentences are appropriate. If they get caught again I'm sure they'll throw the book at them though.

For harder drugs, like ketamine and the cocktail many were apparently carrying, I'd have expected some jail time.

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Khon (or in many cases in Thailand and Cambodia 'Con') not Khun Jeen. I am sure they also have more than their fair share of 'stale' people too. 

1 person is Nung Khon.

To show respect Chinese are called Khun Jeen.

Khon is the classifier for people.

Over.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:18 AM, bradiston said:

Do you mean Khon Jeen? Chinese person/people? Like Khon Farang, Khon Kairk, Khon Allab, etc etc. Khun Jeen means something else, a respectful form of address to someone called Jeen.

Khon Jeen doesn't mean anything as Khon is the classifier for people.

Khun Jeen Nung Khon means Mr/Mrs Chinese one person.

คุณจีน คนจีน

20 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Khon Jeen doesn't mean anything as Khon is the classifier for people.

Khun Jeen Nung Khon means Mr/Mrs Chinese one person.

คุณจีน คนจีน

If somebody asked me who was there, and I answered many Chinese people, I would say Khon Jeen lay Khon. I would never use Khun with a classifier unless Khun was the classifier.  Khun is, as I said, a polite form of address. As in Khun John, Khun Bill etc etc.

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

If somebody asked me who was there, and I answered many Chinese people, I would say Khon Jeen lay Khon. I would never use Khun with a classifier unless Khun was the classifier.  Khun is, as I said, a polite form of address. As in Khun John, Khun Bill etc etc.

Most things in Thai have classifiers. Kon is the classifier for people. 

Khun (polite) Jeen. Yes you could say Khun Jeen lay lay Khon. I don't think correct to say 'Person Jeen, many persons', but Khun Jeen 150 Khon is correct.

Anyway, no one much cares, but I call a Chinese person Khun Jeen and a Thai person Khun (name).

I call myself a Farang. ????

17 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Most things in Thai have classifiers. Kon is the classifier for people. 

Khun (polite) Jeen. Yes you could say Khun Jeen lay lay Khon. I don't think correct to say 'Person Jeen, many persons', but Khun Jeen 150 Khon is correct.

Anyway, no one much cares, but I call a Chinese person Khun Jeen and a Thai person Khun (name).

I call myself a Farang. ????

No, you're wrong. If I said many mangoes, to be grammatically correct I would say look mamuang lay look. When answering the question how many kids do you have, mee look kee khon, I say I have one daughter, mee looksao nung khon. Khon is the classifier for most, but not all, humans. NB But not for priests. Khun Jeen 150 Khon makes no sense in Thai. You're mishearing Khon and Khun. Yes, you call a Thai person Khun as a mark of respect. Also, Khun Mor, Khun Kroo, doctor, teacher. Thais are generally very respectful if they don't know you that well. They'll often refer to you in the third person in a conversation eg if asking when you're leaving, a polite way in Thai would be, Khun <your name>  leaving when? It's one of the things I love about Thailand. Respect for all living things - well, in an ideal Buddhist world.

Edited by bradiston

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

1 person is Nung Khon.

To show respect Chinese are called Khun Jeen.

Khon is the classifier for people.

Over.

Neung khon rather than nung. Kon Jeen is Chinese people and that is how they would be referred to as a group. Anyway I think you missed the point of my post. Over.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Spock said:

Neung khon rather than nung. Kon Jeen is Chinese people and that is how they would be referred to as a group. Anyway I think you missed the point of my post. Over.

Yes, neung Khon is one person. And yes, Khon Jeen is Chinese people. But one Chinese person would be Khon Jeen neung Khon. That's how classifiers work. Sunak song Tua is two dogs. Khun Jeen only makes sense if addressing somebody named Jeen.

45 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, neung Khon is one person. And yes, Khon Jeen is Chinese people. But one Chinese person would be Khon Jeen neung Khon. That's how classifiers work. Sunak song Tua is two dogs. Khun Jeen only makes sense if addressing somebody named Jeen.

Ask your teacher next time you see them. 

Khun Thai, Khun Jeen, Khun Carl, Khun Falang...it doesn't matter.

So, can I correctly say Khun Thai nung khon? Yes. So why can't I say Khun Jeen nung khon?

If you want to meet me on the Thai language forum I'll gladly discuss this in the Thai language. ????

6 minutes ago, carlyai said:

So, can I correctly say Khun Thai nung khon? Yes. So why can't I say Khun Jeen nung khon?

If you want to meet me on the Thai language forum I'll gladly discuss this in the Thai language. ????

You cannot say Khun Thai neung Khon. It's as simple as that. Khon Thai neung Khon is correct.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

You are the only one talking about 'one person'. I am well aware how classifiers work. There is no reason for me to be respecting a single individual when the discussion is about whether farang includes Chinese. 

12 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You are wrong as has been pointed out to you.

1 minute ago, Spock said:

You are the only one talking about 'one person'. I am well aware how classifiers work. There is no reason for me to be respecting a single individual when the discussion is about whether farang includes Chinese. 

There are two arguments raging here. One, over the difference between Khun and Khon. And two, who or what the heck is a Farang? I've given my side of the argument re Khun and Khon. My solution to the Farang argument is to rename ourselves Farengi. Then we all know where we stand.