What's up with the roads in Thailand?

SenorTashi

We just spent two days driving from Chiang Rai to Nong Khai. From a distance the roads look good and everyone's belting along at about 70mph.

So we did the same. Trouble is, at random intervals, there are huge potholes or large pieces of melted tarmac sticking up and when you hit one of these obstacles at high speed, it feels like the whole car's going to written off.

I can't be the only person who's noticed this. Do the Thais think it's normal to have hidden obstacles on an otherwise flat road?

Do they replace their cars every six months?

I was baffled by this whole story during the whole journey... and I'm not looking forward to the journey home neither (to quote a Birdseye commercial)

6 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

I don't know what you're using as a comparison but I've never been on a motorway in Europe with potholes a foot deep 

North Sweeden, Norway and Finland, on the west coast on Norway, but useally highweays is no potholes, and if so it is secured as quick the road assistence get the message. 

A foot deep, I cant say I have experinced to often in Thailand, except on roads that showed bad quality all over and drived carefully. 

I have to say, Im used to surprises driving remote places, and maybe therfor expect everything and anything. Not only potholes, but avalanges, trees, animals 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Ehm, there have been rain season, same as where most of us coming from where there is different seasons, the roads is like <deleted> after a long cold wet winter. 

Doesnt do it any better when they cheating when making the roads because of corruption. 

I have to say, after soon 150k on the roads in Thailand on motorbike and car, the standard have been quite good. On highways as well smaller district roads. 

I concur our trip from Suk to CM was just over 3. 1/2 hours use to take well over 4 hours +.

Road improvements going on a lot I have been noticing.

A pot hole takes a while to get a cone put by it or a dollop of tarmac in it. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

expect everything and anything. Not only potholes, but avalanges, trees, animals 

I've been on plenty of roads like that too but what surprised me most was how fast the Thais were driving. My wife was driving at 100kph and even she realised she'd be needing a new car very soon if she didn't slow down a bit because the noises coming out of her car as it smashed into hole after hole was worrying to say the least. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

I've been on plenty of roads like that too but what surprised me most was how fast the Thais were driving. My wife was driving at 100kph and even she realised she'd be needing a new car very soon if she didn't slow down a bit because the noises coming out of her car as it smashed into hole after hole was worrying to say the least. 

Hit all the bumps and potholes is a great way to get another new car out of ya Sammy. ????????

Edited by Kwasaki

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Bad roads are one of the main reasons I don't drive fast. Rather take a bit longer getting somewhere than risk an accident

It is ridiculously dangerous. If you're going fast and hit a bump which bounces you into the path of an oncoming truck, that'll be the end of you. I was driving about 80kmh but even at that speed, I couldn't avoid some of them

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I have to say, after soon 150k on the roads in Thailand on motorbike and car, the standard have been quite good. On highways as well smaller district roads. 

Agree, not too shabby at all, and much improved over 20+ years ago.  If OP drove along the river Loei to NK, parts of that weren't even 'hard' surface, and more than a few patches just gravel.

3 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

We just spent two days driving from Chiang Rai to Nong Khai.

Have you been on the new road between Chiang Rai and Chiang mai ?

Its like being on a trampoline with the car bouncing up and down .

They laid the road in small sections and they didn't seem to lay the road at the same level , so its more like boat ride than a car ride 

47 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Have you been on the new road between Chiang Rai and Chiang mai ?

Its like being on a trampoline with the car bouncing up and down .

They laid the road in small sections and they didn't seem to lay the road at the same level , so its more like boat ride than a car ride 

I took the bus from CM to CR. All I remember is that I was very glad when we arrived. 

There are bad roads and good roads in every country on Earth, and Thailand is no exception.

On trips CNX BKK we cruise at 150 - 160. Never a problem.

No potholes a foot deep !!! Some people LOVE drama !!! 555

38 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

I took the bus from CM to CR. All I remember is that I was very glad when we arrived. 

With all the time , money and effort spent on building that road , you would have thought that they would have tried a bit harder to make it flat , each 100 meter section seems to be at a different  level /height 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, seedy said:

On trips CNX BKK we cruise at 150 - 160. Never a problem.

No potholes a foot deep !!! Some people LOVE drama

Try doing the road from Phitsanulok to Nong Bua Lamphu at 160 and let me know how you get on 

On 10/30/2022 at 5:39 PM, KhunLA said:

Agree, not too shabby at all, and much improved over 20+ years ago.  If OP drove along the river Loei to NK, parts of that weren't even 'hard' surface, and more than a few patches just gravel.

When I was young, we lived in a hole in the road and had a handful of cold gravel for breakfast.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:10 PM, SenorTashi said:

I don't know what you're using as a comparison but I've never been on a motorway in Europe with potholes a foot deep 

T.I.T. How much is petrol in Europe? How much is  road tax ,income tax, etc etc.?That tax money or part of it is spent on roads. You should try Australia away from the coast atm,it's horrendous.