Putting false plates on a car can warrant a five year jail term, says prosecutor

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Kosonwat Inthujanyong, a public prosecutor, warned of jail terms of 5 years for fixing false plates on a car.

In addition the law stipulates fines of 10,000 baht to 100,000 baht.

A woman found herself in hot water last week after a problem with her new Isuzu pick-up emerged.

Kosonwat said that plates must be genuine; he cautioned people going to dealers for new plates after their plates fell off in floods. 

Plates must be genuine or the owner can find themselves in a heap of trouble, reported Siam Rath

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

warned of jail terms of 5 years

It ticks me off to no end how they are constantly threatening their citizens with jail terms.  Every little thing, jail. 

As if someone is going to jail for 5 years for that, no plate is only a 300 baht fine last time I got one. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, this is why I bothered to read the story - this sounds like there's a bunch of idiots in charge.

Who exactly would be going to prison here? The car driver who has no idea tha plate has been falsified by the garage?

Also they appear to be targeting people who got replacement plates after losing them in floods - it sounds like this applies to a plate that's not official even though it may have the correct details on the plate.

This sounds very similar to a situation at immigration where if they make a mistake - you, the passport holder is held responsible for it and fined, booted out the country, etc, etc - zero accountability for the person who made the mistake.

It's pathetic.

Amazing Thailand??????

3 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

So what is the fine for no plates?

Yes many motorbikes no plates or plates tucked way up under the rear seat so that they cant be read. And why not on the front as well so that cameras can record them when  they run red lights etc,etc

And many vehicles have sprayed with white paint their "rear" plate to make reading the black numbers & letters hard (to impossible) to read....the white spray paint just blends the letters into the white background of the plate. 

How hard it is to read depends on how much white paint they used....just a light spraying to make it harder to read/take a photo to a heavy spraying making it nearly impossible to read/photo the tag unless within a meter or so.   I see a LOT of vehicles like this in/around Bangkok....mostly cars but some trucks also.

But the "front" plate is untouched as that would be easily spotted when nearing police checkpoints and get you pulled over.

Edited by Pib

3 hours ago, Pib said:

And many vehicles have sprayed with white paint their "rear" plate to make reading the black numbers & letters hard (to impossible) to read....the white spray paint just blends the letters into the white background of the plate. 

How hard it is to read depends on how much white paint they used....just a light spraying to make it harder to read/take a photo to a heavy spraying making it nearly impossible to read/photo the tag unless within a meter or so.   I see a LOT of vehicles like this in/around Bangkok....mostly cars but some trucks also.

But the "front" plate is untouched as that would be easily spotted when nearing police checkpoints and get you pulled over.

Not heard of people spraying their number plates but there was a lot that were made and the black paint would easily come off which would appear as though it was totally white

8 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Not heard of people spraying their number plates but there was a lot that were made and the black paint would easily come off which would appear as though it was totally white

No, these are sprayed. I've seen brand new cars (new models released within the last 6 months) where the lettering is completely white. Clearly been sprayed to avoid speeding tickets etc.

• Love It 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

No, these are sprayed. I've seen brand new cars (new models released within the last 6 months) where the lettering is completely white. Clearly been sprayed to avoid speeding tickets etc.

I can understand someone painting their plate so it is not detected by speed camera but PIB mentioned several times the rear plate is sprayed.

How does painting a rear plate avoid speeding tickets ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I can understand someone painting their plate so it is not detected by speed camera but PIB mentioned several times the rear plate is sprayed.

Some speed cameras take the shot of the rear of your car as you pass it. The elevated Chalongrat highway has quite a few of these, I've been caught myself.  

The etc. I used was to highlight other potential reasons to cover the rear plate, such as dash cams catching you in road rage incidents, fleeing the scene of an accident, hit and run etc.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Some speed cameras take the shot of the rear of your car as you pass it. The elevated Chalongrat highway has quite a few of these, I've been caught myself.  

The etc. I used was to highlight other potential reasons to cover the rear plate, such as dash cams catching you in road rage incidents, fleeing the scene of an accident, hit and run etc.

Seems like a lot of work probably better to take the back one off rather than get caught spraying it.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Some traffic cameras will take a photo of front or rear plated like at intersections.  Also many A-hole drivers doing stupid and dangerous things on the road don't want drivers behind them to be able to get a good photo of the A-hole's license plate number.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Not taking sides but rear plates are white out by going to 7/11. and getting a 30 baht white out marker.  It is enough to avoid reading the plates tracing owner majority of cameras for example like HWY 7 take photos from rear? 

When time to inspect can use Soap water and scrum a bit it comes off. 

Edited by thailand49

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Some traffic cameras will take a photo of front or rear plated like at intersections.  Also many A-hole drivers doing stupid and dangerous things on the road don't want drivers behind them to be able to get a good photo of the A-hole's license plate number.

Yep, here's the one that got me. It takes the photo of the rear plate. Seen from the highway and the same camera more clearly from the road below.

image.png.463d831608e7f5728b5485cf9b16638a.png

image.png.6635686279d8ada0fcce6965f03c6bc5.png

Plus like you said, CCTV will often pick up the rear plate when drivers are doing something stupid/illegal.

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Amusing Thailand. Fake plates get 5 years. Murder a Thai girl, hack her up and pack her up and dump in river...get 8 years. Sounds about right. :coffee1:

Gee, 8 years is a bit much - mustn't been connected to the right people...