Lets say you found a bag or wallet

Sparktrader

12 minutes ago, tandor said:

You said it was 'good thinking' to look inside someone else's property, when it is none of your business but to hand it in. or just leave it where you found it if that is too confronting....as suggested, take a photo of it as is, where is; then hand it in...the RTP will trace the owner as that is their job...that's why!

I don't consider looking inside someone else's property for the purpose of identification and contacting the owner to be bad thinking.

As for the RTP, how do you know they will do their job? They are not renowned for being incorruptible.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't consider looking inside someone else's property for the purpose of identification and contacting the owner to be bad thinking.

As for the RTP, how do you know they will do their job? They are not renowned for being incorruptible.

I'm citing the relative law in Thailand. Not for me to judge or comment.

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Hand it in and if not claimed, then its yours.(usually)????

Yes, that is what I would have done if I had not found the owner. But I would not hand over any money to the police. My plan was to search it for ID, if there was a very lot of money I would go by what the wife says.

10 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Last weekend I found a lady's handbag  at Lotus's parking lot, with a large amount of cash. On my way to the police station I changed my mind, made a u-turn,went back to wait for the owner and gave it back.

I did not have a chance to count the money but the owner said it was 200,000B, plus another small stack of euro currency. She claimed there were 3 phones I only saw 2. Her passport and ID were also in the bag.

When It's not ym money i don't want it.

Even if there was no ID you would just take someone's word that it was their money??

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If no way of tracing the owner, then yes the bib.

Keeping it would be theft.

I would have handed the case in to the police, but not any money, when it comes to theft, is they're anyone worse than the police?

Just now, possum1931 said:

I would have handed the case in to the police, but not any money, when it comes to theft, is they're anyone worse than the police?

taxi drivers, hotel landlords, food stalls, tuk tuk drivers, motorbike taxis, jetski operators, parasailing owners, small restaurant owners, car saleman, bank staff, factory workers, builders, national park keepers, Phuket tourist shop owners ...  etc 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

taxi drivers, hotel landlords, food stalls, tuk tuk drivers, motorbike taxis, jetski operators, parasailing owners, small restaurant owners, car saleman, bank staff, factory workers, builders, national park keepers, Phuket tourist shop owners ...  etc 

Oh! I forgot, the unelected PM and his soldiers. ????

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Oh! I forgot, the unelected PM and his soldiers. ????

those are just off the top of my head possum,  but there's many more.

you would have been better to ask who is the most honest in Thailand ... ????  although you might not have got an answer unfortunately.      haha 

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

those are just off the top of my head possum,  but there's many more.

you would have been better to ask who is the most honest in Thailand ... ????  although you might not have got an answer unfortunately.      haha 

From my experience the most honest is the ordinary Thai's, ie the ones who have done all the electrical and building work around my house, also the traders in my local markets.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tandor said:

You said it was 'good thinking' to look inside someone else's property, when it is none of your business but to hand it in. or just leave it where you found it if that is too confronting....as suggested, take a photo of it as is, where is; then hand it in...the RTP will trace the owner as that is their job...that's why!

@Sparktrader wrote that the hypothetical wallet contains 50000THB. His thought experiment implies that you opened the wallet at some point. So you might as well try and find information about the owner and contact that person if possible. Plus I don't trust the RTP, never have, never will. Too many thugs in their ranks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I found an expensive telephone recently in Thailand on the floor outside the bar area at night .

I went into a beer shop and grabbed a beer and sat outside and spoke to the owner and gave him the phone to answer (when the phone owner called )

The owner called and within a few minutes a car pulled up and a bunch of Thais jumped out screaming "Where's my phone , who stole it" .

The beer shop owner wouldn't hand the phone over to them until they could confirm the phones number .

They kept shouting "Where did you get the phone from"

The beer shop owner pointed to me and said the felang had it .

They came over and accused me of stealing their phone , they thought that I'd stolen their phone  .

They were shouting and cussing me for a few minutes . 

Then I told them that they'd dropped the phone outside the bar and I handed it in , I handed it in so it could be retuned to them .

Apologies and Wais all round from them 

9 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

@Sparktrader wrote that the hypothetical wallet contains 50000THB. His thought experiment implies that you opened the wallet at some point. So you might as well try and find information about the owner and contact that person if possible. Plus I don't trust the RTP, never have, never will. Too many thugs in their ranks.

I would strongly advise you didn't intefere with the item, but leave it as is and hand it in. Human curiosity is a strong temptation. I don't care whom you trust, nor your derogatory remarks. The Law in Thailand states you must hand in found property to your local police station within 3 days, over and out.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:55 AM, Sparktrader said:

50,000 baht or more in it. Back of Taxi or side of road etc.

Do you keep it or hand it in?

Hand it in to a police station.

Make sure it's recorded and that you are notified when it is returned with the owners contact details for verification.

If after 30 days it's not returned the property rightly becomes yours as the founder.

It would seem to me to be blindingly obvious that you would open the wallet to possibly find any identification so you could return the wallet to the owner ,how could doing this ever be wrong?

if there is no ID then hand in to BIB.

3 hours ago, tandor said:

I would strongly advise you didn't intefere with the item, but leave it as is and hand it in. Human curiosity is a strong temptation. I don't care whom you trust, nor your derogatory remarks. The Law in Thailand states you must hand in found property to your local police station within 3 days, over and out.

I care roughly as much about you strongly advising no interference as you care about me not trusting the police. My first move would be to try and contact the owner directly. Police would be the very last option I consider. Period.

People losing stuff and getting called by those finding that stuff is something that happens everyday in every civilized country in the world including Thailand.

Happened to me 6 months ago in Europe. Received an Amazon order that wasn't mine, looked up the person on the internet, couldn't find her but succeeded in finding a relative. Got in touch. Eventually gave the parcel back to its owner (it was a neighbor).

Happy ending ! *

As for me being derogatory...
It probably as true as you being patronizing.

*No, not that happy ending...

Edited by Baron Samedi

Jesus, so much pinch-of-salt, gratuitous virtue signalling on this thread; aren't we all just so perfect!   Who'd have ever thought that, with one exception, they could all be such honest, upstanding members of society. Just like when the westerners on a driving thread can cite every single rule in any country's highway code and then insist that they abide with them all, at all times, because they are all so "expert" and law-abiding.  But they aren't and they don't.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Jesus, so much gratuitous virtue signalling on this thread; aren't we all just so perfect!   Who'd have ever thought that, with one exception, they could all be such honest, upstanding members of society. Just like when the westerners on a driving thread can cite every single rule in any country's highway code and then insist that they abide with them all, at all times, because they are all so "expert" and law-abiding.  But they don't.

Being honest too much in the west you get exploited. If no cameras, no one watching I bet many just pocket the money. 

• Like 1