Climate activists block private jet runway at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam

Scott

image.png

CNN  — Hundreds of climate activists breached a runway Saturday at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport to try to stop private jets from taking off, in the latest demonstration by protesters aimed at drawing attention to the climate crisis.

Greenpeace Netherlands said “more than 500” Greenpeace and Extinction Rebellion activists were at the airport, one of Europe’s largest, on Saturday afternoon, in a press release. A spokesperson for the Schiphol security forces could not confirm that figure.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/05/europe/amsterdam-climate-activists-block-private-jet-runway-intl/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

Legal protesting is fine.  Blocking any infrastructure and endangering lives, even their own, is not.

As much as I agree with the ideology, they lose all credibility with me.  Guessing most are still driving fossil fuel vehicles and heating, cooling their homes from fossil fuels.

Most talk 'saving the planet', but most also don't actually do anything, except talk.

Hypocrites indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

Are you in Thailand?

If so how did you get here?

I never said ALL air travel. Back in the 70s air travel was less about package holidays in overseas countries ( too far away for ship or plane ) and more about getting from A to B for work or business etc. When a 707 was about as big as it got, obviously it wasn't going to feed the cheap holiday abroad monster. That took the Jumbo 747 to start, IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

These people are criminals and should be arrested as such.

I read that a 'very rich person' is paying them to do this. Not that they need much encouragement for their 15 minutes of fame.

Do they walk to their protests, or do they take 'oil using' transport?

Hypocrites.

“I read that a 'very rich person' is paying them to do this”

Link please. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Peaceful protest is a cornerstone of a functioning democracy, it sometimes entails breaking the law.

Nobody needs pay people who believe in what they are doing.

I would say that, IF your message is rightous, breaking the law would be unnecessary. Even at that, I can see blocking a private airport as less odious than other protests.  The photo with the two douchecanoes pouring out milk is a different story. Damaging private property is a whole new level of stupid.

• Love It 2

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

I would say that, IF your message is rightous, breaking the law would be unnecessary. Even at that, I can see blocking a private airport as less odious than other protests.  The photo with the two douchecanoes pouring out milk is a different story. Damaging private property is a whole new level of stupid.

I can think of a number of historical examples where breaking the law was the very necessary righteous thing to do.

Back to history class for all those who struggle with doing so themselves.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds good to me, and should sound good to any that believe in man made climate change.

If they start blocking planes carrying holiday makers good too. Eliminate frivolous air travel and eliminate a massive amount of high level pollution.

It's when they try to destroy priceless world heritage art works that they lose my support.

I totally agree, as long they do not interupt my flight back to Thailand! Away from Thailand, is ok, not to ????

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I can think of a number of historical examples where breaking the law was the very necessary righteous thing to do.

Back to history class for all those who struggle with doing so themselves.

Of course, but this ain't one of them.  Segregated lunch counter vs. milk in an airport. Not equal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DezLez said:

"Eliminate frivolous air travel" and eliminate the majority of the Thai Tourist economy!

Ask your Thai family/Thai friends if they agree!

Your post is exactly why IMO nothing will get done to actually do anything about climate change. The necessary actions to make an actual difference to climate are always going to negatively affect a large number of people, so political suicide to do so.

• Haha 1

Most people object to the issues and rather than argue against those, they take the easy route and argue with te protest.

To put it in perspective, one should look at the history of protests and then try to think how far they would go to protest in an issue they felt strongly about.

E.G. - the suffragette's - a middle class organisation - heckled politicians, tried to storm parliament, were attacked and sexually assaulted during battles with the police, chained themselves to railings, smashed windows, carried out a nationwide bombing and arson campaign

Edited by kwilco

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Your post is exactly why IMO nothing will get done to actually do anything about climate change. The necessary actions to make an actual difference to climate are always going to negatively affect a large number of people, so political suicide to do so.

So why make the posts/quotes you did?

Please come up with some practicable comments/solutions not just headline grabbing meaningless hot air posts!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never said ALL air travel. Back in the 70s air travel was less about package holidays in overseas countries ( too far away for ship or plane ) and more about getting from A to B for work or business etc. When a 707 was about as big as it got, obviously it wasn't going to feed the cheap holiday abroad monster. That took the Jumbo 747 to start, IMO.

You did not answer the two questions I asked you!

What are the answers?

56 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Most people object to the issues and rather than argue against those, they take the easy route and argue with te protest.

To put it in perspective, one should look at the history of protests and then try to think how far they would go to protest in an issue they felt strongly about.

E.G. - the suffragette's - a middle class organisation - heckled politicians, tried to storm parliament, were attacked and sexually assaulted during battles with the police, chained themselves to railings, smashed windows, carried out a nationwide bombing and arson campaign

The Suffragette movement was not simply a ‘middle class’ movement, though perhaps ignoring the part working class women played permits forgetting the appalling class divide in how the suffragettes were treated by the authorities.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/don-t-forget-working-class-women-who-made-suffragette-history/

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've made practical solutions on this forum a few times in the past,

Where are they?

I've not seen them in this thread!

I am sure the world would love to read your practical solutions, but without searching for them (if they exist!)

And where are the answers to my two questions?

All you have done so far is to have responded to my posts with obfuscation without actually answering the questions!

Edited by DezLez

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds good to me, and should sound good to any that believe in man made climate change.

If they start blocking planes carrying holiday makers good too. Eliminate frivolous air travel and eliminate a massive amount of high level pollution.

It's when they try to destroy priceless world heritage art works that they lose my support.

I guess that means you will never ever take a plane to anywhere anymore to go on holiday, correct?

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Suffragette movement was not simply a ‘middle class’ movement, though perhaps ignoring the part working class women played permits forgetting the appalling class divide in how the suffragettes were treated by the authorities.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/don-t-forget-working-class-women-who-made-suffragette-history/

one quote wonder - I think you'll have to delve further into how the suffragettes operated. also I think quibbling over that is actually avoiding or deflecting the point I was trying to make.

You'll find though that there has always been an assumption about the suffragettes being "working class" - but it needs further examination and you also need to realise that the suffragettes were only part of the female enfranchisement movement, yet today we tend to lump them all together