Why do Thai people giggle when I tell them I'm about to go visit Isaan ?

Baron Samedi

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

He probably didnt understand you.

He did. I gave him the name of the different cities, he asked me why Isaan, then he suggested Chiang Mai as he went there and liked it. Honestly, I think a lot of Thais might think Isaan is a shxthole and don't understand why anyone would want to spend time there. I might be wrong be each time that happened to me I had the feeling the message was "what the fxxx, man... lol"

39 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

A lot of people you meet in your journeys may originally be from Isaan.  The laugh is usually their way of being pleased you are visiting.

The taxi driver was from Phuket. Born in the cape Panwa area.

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It would be better to ask the person as to why they giggled , how would you expect other people to know why a certain person giggled about something ?

Fair point.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

He did. I gave him the name of the different cities, he asked me why Isaan, then he suggested Chiang Mai as he went there and liked it. Honestly, I think a lot of Thais might think Isaan is a shxthole and don't understand why anyone would want to spend time there. I might be wrong be each time that happened to me I had the feeling the message was "what the fxxx, man... lol"

The taxi driver was from Phuket. Born in the cape Panwa area.

Fair point.

Not many farangs there

Thais dont understand off the beaten path

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Khon Kaen locals are more sophisticated than most southerners. The city is also cleaner. The south is mostly rubber, fishing and tourism so they are hardly advanced people.

I was referring to Bangkok when I said southern Thais.

Quite remarkable you can assess the level of sophistication of Khon Kaen locals. However,  I think you'll find Isaan is somewhat bigger than Khon Kaen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

Guess you've never been to Issan, KK and Korat of some of the biggest cities in TH.

You forgot UdoooonThanii

Isaan is Redneck country where Carabao coming from! No wonder Taxi drivers laughing

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1