Pattaya police and immigration tighten surveillance on foreigners on overstay

webfact

The information as to who is on overstay, assuming they come into the country by the official way, should be on the immigration computers. They know the date of entry and the visa they entered on, Not hard to determine if someone has left on or before the date of visa expiry. A print out should be available on a day to day basis if necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Only police above a certain rank can ask to see your passport.

In so far as the whole of the Thai police force (except the envelope collectors) are in Bangkok guarding inconsequential politicians, this is a moot point.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, mikeymike100 said:

Right, how many tourists who go to Thailand for a good time carry their passports with them all the time? It would be the last thing on their mind.

The cops dont even have a remote fingerprint scanner with them, which would help with this problem? Maybe they are just after money?????

Which makes the comment that they arrested no one quite strange. You would expect that a lot of the tourists (or most) were not carrying their passports, so many would have had to be detained to establish their ID and visa status. That would have been a very big undertaking, with the police hauling off hundreds or even thousands of tourists. Most tourists are smart enough to leave their passports in their hotel safes when going out to party. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:24 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

It's been like that for a long time!!  Back in 2014 it was a military state, following an armed coup!

You can go back a lot further than that. Thailand's government has always served at the pleasure of the military. They installed the first government in 1932, and nothing has changed... and the way it is going, nothing will ever change.

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Most tourists are smart enough to leave their passports in their hotel safes when going out to party. 

I never take the passport..... but the other night I was on my way out and thought, why the hell am I taking my phone with me.... it doesn't fit well in any pockets and don't need the damned thing.....

So of course later I am in the midst of a police raid ( first time in many years) without any ID etc, recalling an incident of a tourist who got caught up without enough cash and got locked up for the night! 

Edited by jacko45k

On 11/7/2022 at 2:46 AM, mikeymike100 said:

The cops dont even have a remote fingerprint scanner with them, which would help with this problem?

Does anyone know if they have fingerprint scanners, linked to the immigration data base, back at the station? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Does anyone know if they have fingerprint scanners, linked to the immigration data base, back at the station? 

I am not sure, but a portable fingerprint scanner is a relatively cheap item, I would think, maybe a few hundred US Dollars, certainly cheaper than those Smart BMW's?

17 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I am not sure, but a portable fingerprint scanner is a relatively cheap item, I would think, maybe a few hundred US Dollars, certainly cheaper than those Smart BMW's?

Having the technology behind it to real time cross reference an immigration database located remotely would be quite a system......don't forget they can't keep sand on the beach or CCTV working here. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

So, if one was caught up in "raid" despite doing nothing wrong, due to not carrying their passport (yes, I know that's an offense) with no mobile fingerprint scanners, or fingerprint scanners at the station, one could be banged up until they can arrange someone to bring their passport to the station. 

I carry photos of my documents in my phone, not sure they would be accepted though. 

36 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, if one was caught up in "raid" despite doing nothing wrong, due to not carrying their passport (yes, I know that's an offense) with no mobile fingerprint scanners, or fingerprint scanners at the station, one could be banged up until they can arrange someone to bring their passport to the station. 

I carry photos of my documents in my phone, not sure they would be accepted though. 

Yep, they kept our friends for almost a day until they arrange trip back to hotel and pulled passports from safety lock + they pay policeman for driving 1.000THB on his private car.

7 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Yep, they kept our friends for almost a day until they arrange trip back to hotel and pulled passports from safety lock + they pay policeman for driving 1.000THB on his private car.

A nice little earner, no doubt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

• Haha 1

Once 20+ years ago some strange thai dude showed me a paper with something printed on ink-jet printer and asked for my passport. It was in Bangkok, Huay Kwang area. I asked him to wait so I can bring it down from my room, but he insisted to follow me into my room. On the way he kept asking questions about everything.

Later it turn to be scammers - they took passports from farang-ding-dong and kept it for "Checking-up" until that poor foreigner paid some ransom.

11 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Once 20+ years ago some strange thai dude showed me a paper with something printed on ink-jet printer and asked for my passport. It was in Bangkok, Huay Kwang area. I asked him to wait so I can bring it down from my room, but he insisted to follow me into my room. On the way he kept asking questions about everything.

Later it turn to be scammers - they took passports from farang-ding-dong and kept it for "Checking-up" until that poor foreigner paid some ransom.

A pity this happens but the reality is the police do it too. Just heard a recent tale of a guy who spent a night in the cells as he got too drunk, overspent, and could not pay his tab. He spent a night in the cells and then his passport was taken off him until he could pay up.... not having his passport, nor any cash left him struggling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:42 AM, jacko45k said:

I never take the passport..... but the other night I was on my way out and thought, why the hell am I taking my phone with me.... it doesn't fit well in any pockets and don't need the damned thing.....

So of course later I am in the midst of a police raid ( first time in many years) without any ID etc, recalling an incident of a tourist who got caught up without enough cash and got locked up for the night! 

Details? What happened? What was the raid really about and did they arrest you?

I also never carry my passport unless it is needed for banking or whatever. I did update my copy after reading this report.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Details? What happened? What was the raid really about and did they arrest you?

I also never carry my passport unless it is needed for banking or whatever. I did update my copy after reading this report.

Heck I wasn't going to go ask them ..... I paid my bill, slipped out in a direction away from where the police were focusing, and got on a WIN!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:03 AM, jacko45k said:

A pity this happens but the reality is the police do it too. Just heard a recent tale of a guy who spent a night in the cells as he got too drunk, overspent, and could not pay his tab. He spent a night in the cells and then his passport was taken off him until he could pay up.... not having his passport, nor any cash left him struggling. 

My lawyer told me that police have "lost" passports belonging to their clients. They suggested that I NEVER show my passport to a police officer and just tell them it's at my lawyer's office... and suggest to the police officer that I can call my lawyer.

Consider this free legal advice.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

My lawyer told to me that police have "lost" passports belonging to their clients. They suggested that I NEVER show my passport to a police officer and just tell them it's at my lawyer's office... and suggest to the police officer that I can call my lawyer.

Consider this free legal advice.

I have often wondered how one would stand if the police insisted on seeing and then retaining your passport. I believe it happens frequently, not just the police, but a hospital too if one has a bill to pay! I wonder if they have any right to take it off you. I recently heard a case where a guy was left without cash, or a passport, and had no way to get some money. 

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have often wondered how one would stand if the police insisted on seeing and then retaining your passport. I believe it happens frequently, not just the police, but a hospital too if one has a bill to pay! I wonder if they have any right to take it off you. I recently heard a case where a guy was left without cash, or a passport, and had no way to get some money. 

It's not legal for anyone to retain your passport other than the immigration police in cases of detention. The court can retain it too to ensure you're not going to skip. It's better to tell any authorities (including immigration police) that your passport is at your lawyer's office. There's no need to give them a reason - just say you'll have to call your lawyer. This will prevent any funny business.

If they are trying to scam you, they'll probably move on to the next easier victim.

Never say your passport is at home or they may want to follow you there.

Edited by JensenZ

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's not legal for anyone to retain your passport other than the immigration police in cases of detention. The court can retain it too to ensure you're not going to skip. It's better to tell any authorities (including immigration police) that your passport is at your lawyer's office. There's no need to give them a reason - just say you'll have to call your lawyer. This will prevent any funny business.

If they are trying to scam you, they'll probably move on to the next easier victim.

Never say your passport is at home or they may want to follow you there.

I would not like to be in that position.....

The regular police do take passports too....

On 11/14/2022 at 6:25 AM, jacko45k said:

Having the technology behind it to real time cross reference an immigration database located remotely would be quite a system......don't forget they can't keep sand on the beach or CCTV working here. 

They do cross reference....it has happened to me twice.

..but these were immigration police not common cops.

post a hi-res scans of your passport to something like flickr with watermark over it. 

generate QR code to the URL 

print it at the credit card size thick paper and put into your wallet.

Freaky? Yes, but none will take your passport away like it happened to dude who almost killed some girl he picked up at the club after they had an accident DUI on scooter. 

Edited by NativeBob

8 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

How did they check you? Did you have ID on you?

I didn't have anything..????

..but they ask you for your particulars incl. the date your visa is up.

That was 4 yrs ago btw 

I carry a photo of the relevant  passport pages in my phone these days

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Anyone with a gun will take your passport - that's why they should never be available to take.

Correct. Never carry your original passport, keep it in your room/hotel locked away preferably in a safe. If you lose your passport it is a very big pain in the neck to get a new one, plus the expense.

Only carry your passport when going to or from the airport or immigration!