Locals spooked as human remains scattered on the land rather than in the klong

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Ashes scattered on the land

Daily News went to investigate in Muang district of Sisaket in Thailand's north east after what appeared to be human ashes were found in two piles by a klong.

It is usual to scatter ashes on water but these were left near a pier on the land.

Comment was rife on Facebook speculating as to who would do this.

IMG_25651106_183415-1024x565.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A local man called Thawatchai, 37, said he and his friends fish in the area.

He'd seen the piles copmplete with white cloth and one baht coins among the ashes. 

Then he saw two women arrive in a car and deposit another pile of ashes in the same area and drive off. 

IMG_25651106_183238-1024x569.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A local abbot called Winai at Wat Srisomboon Rattanaram said it was most irregular as this would be confusing for the spirit and disturbing for the public.

Usually ashes are spread on the water to float away which helps the spirit find rest.  

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

(my bold) Says who? How do they know that? Made up to support their own totally unfounded belief. Like all religion, I suppose.

Interesting to ponder.  I read somewhere that cremated remains should not be scattered nor kept in an urn at home. The reason being that everyone should be given the opportunity to 'venerate' the deceased.  

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting to ponder.  I read somewhere that cremated remains should not be scattered nor kept in an urn at home. The reason being that everyone should be given the opportunity to 'venerate' the deceased.  

Is that why the catholics prefer to rent very expensive graves and huge tombs whenever possible? and despise/condemn the act of cremation?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Regarding the headline : I don't think that ashes from a cremated person can be considered as being "Human remains" 

Good point! They are the only remains and they are of a human so maybe the term is correct in that sense? From a hygiene point of view I know which sort I prefer. A relative of my mother-in-law was cremated on Saturday. Her preferred temple is new and the crematorium yet to be built. The lady was cremated 'al fresco' style. My Mrs complained it was too smoky. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Is that why the catholics prefer to rent very expensive graves and huge tombs whenever possible? and despise/condemn the act of cremation?

There are defintely regional differences. In Portugal mausoleums are popular. The rich having stone built ones, the poor wooden ones and the modern ones are UPVC of course. They may not be all huge but there is definitely a cost involved. In South America ossury cemeteries are popular, the family rent a compartment for the coffin which slides in lengthwise. When the rent runs out the coffin is extracted and the bones placed in numbered wooden boxes on racks in the cemetery storeroom. A much more economical and space saving method but some would say disrespectful to the deceased.   

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

What else might you call them?

'Cremains' seems to be the usual terminology. Not sure whether that applies to the charred bone fragments we receive in Thailand though. Western crematoria have cremulators that use ball bearings to grind down the bone fragments.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

A few generations back , yes. 60 years ago.

In 1963 the Catholic Church changed its policy and lifted the ban on cremation. Among the reasons were sanitation risks, overcrowded cemeteries and financial considerations (i.e., the expense of traditional burials). At the same time, though, the church has continued to express a strong preference for the burial or entombment of the deceased, preferably in a Catholic cemetery.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

'Cremains' seems to be the usual terminology. Not sure whether that applies to the charred bone fragments we receive in Thailand though. Western crematoria have cremulators that use ball bearings to grind down the bone fragments.

Correct, in the west you only take home less than 50%, they grind up some and toss the bigger bits.

A couple of years ago I went to a ceremony to "wash grandmas bones" Well, my wife didn't lie to me ! Big identifiable chunks of bone, the ball part of the ball/socket from a shoulder was one that caught my eye !

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bangon04 said:

At one time, the Catholics believed that you had to be buried in consecrated ground in order to rise from the dead at the last judgment. No body, no resurrection.

Now, however, the Church is perfectly fine with cremation, in line with so many other changes in dogma to suit the changing times. No more fish on Fridays, divorce okay, even gay couples seem to meet the approval of the pope. i wonder what happened to all the people sent to hell before the dogma changed.

20 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

i wonder what happened to all the people sent to hell before the dogma changed.

Same deal applies as in June this year when 3,071 prisoners locked up for cannabis-related drug crimes were released from prisons all over Thailand.

And no compensation payable for the years in hell.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:24 AM, jaywalker2 said:

Now, however, the Church is perfectly fine with cremation, in line with so many other changes in dogma to suit the changing times. No more fish on Fridays, divorce okay, even gay couples seem to meet the approval of the pope. i wonder what happened to all the people sent to hell before the dogma changed.

maybe they decided to come back as buddhists??