MG EV

zoolander

Ok, so have taken a delivery of an MG EV EP Plus.

A couple of questions. MG have an app called ismart. Can't get this to work, even downloaded the UK app, which doesn't work. Maybe this vehicle has no app function.

We are going to have an additional electric meter solely for charging the car. Will a 15/45 meter be ok..

Thanks for any help

Wife installed the iSmart app at the dealer before we left, so you may want to pop back in if can't sort it out.  

We had it on the ZS ICE, and TBH, never used it.  She has it (for EV) on her phone, and again, I can't see myself ever needing, using it.  The car tells me the same.  One less app on the phone and I'm happy.

Just make sure you understand how and when to use the Mode & KERS settings.  You may want to change from the defaults on start up.  Rest is pretty basic.  

Pop into the dealer, and have them register you for the Charging, If not already, and do a tester there.  Before scratching your head on the road.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, zoolander said:

We are going to have an additional electric meter solely for charging the car. Will a 15/45 meter be OK. 

I would say 15/45 will be sufficient can't see it needed the next step which is 3 phase.

I heard people charge with them sun panel thingys on their roof.

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Wife installed the iSmart app at the dealer before we left, so you may want to pop back in if can't sort it out.  

We had it on the ZS ICE, and TBH, never used it.  She has it (for EV) on her phone, and again, I can't see myself ever needing, using it.  The car tells me the same.  One less app on the phone and I'm happy.

Just make sure you understand how and when to use the Mode & KERS settings.  You may want to change from the defaults on start up.  Rest is pretty basic.  

Pop into the dealer, and have them register you for the Charging, If not already, and do a tester there.  Before scratching your head on the road.

There's really only one thing I like, or love, the app for: turning on the aircon remotely five minutes before getting into the car. 

I suppose checking the tyre pressures remotely is quite handy, but that's about it.

Not sure if the EP has iSmart.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a question regarding this.

1 hour ago, zoolander said:

We are going to have an additional electric meter solely for charging the car.

We inquired a while back at our local PEA for an additional PEA meter on the same property for my "Man cave". They said can but needs to have a  House Number thus a House Book before they can install another meter. We could upgrade our current meter but not get a Separate meter.  In the end we ditched the plan and location of the "Man Cave" is now part of the Wife's veggie garden ????

How is the OP solving this problem for his meter to charge the car??

33 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I have a question regarding this.

We inquired a while back at our local PEA for an additional PEA meter on the same property for my "Man cave". They said can but needs to have a  House Number thus a House Book before they can install another meter. We could upgrade our current meter but not get a Separate meter.  In the end we ditched the plan and location of the "Man Cave" is now part of the Wife's veggie garden ????

How is the OP solving this problem for his meter to charge the car??

Ouch. I just assumed we could get an extra meter. Will ask the wife to call PEA asap. Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Any news on this?

Yes 

We can have a separate meter just for the car. Have visited pea and paid 4500 baht and we are on the list to have the meter installed.

The wire from the meter, outside in the lamppost to the new consumer unit in the carport has been installed. Cost2000 labour 7000 materials. MG have been surveyed the site and approved. Just call them when I want them to fix the charger to the wall. What else MG are going to do I'm not sure.

Obviously tit and the meter is not installed yet but so far so good. 

Will update when operational.

Still can't get the MG app to work and have given up. Probably no use anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

PEA were offering a second supply with the option of ToU (Time of Use) metering for cheaper off-peak charging, not sure if that offer still stands.

Apparently it does, because we were not allowed to have a 2nd Meter (without a new Tabien Baan) for my "Man Cave" we could only up the Meter capacity form 15/45 -> 30/100.

Just now, MJCM said:

Apparently it does, because we were not allowed to have a 2nd Meter (without a new Tabien Baan) for my "Man Cave" we could only up the Meter capacity form 15/45 -> 30/100.

Should have told them it was for an EV ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My neighbour has a separate meter for his MG charger in CM.

It was no problem getting it.

Read a couple of post before yours, I didn't know (and maybe someone else) that you could get a meter because of that without going through the motions of going a separate house book

And because of my experience I tried to warn the OP ????

Edited by MJCM
replaced getting with going

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, zoolander said:

Just a quick update. Meter and charger fitted and sort of working. Any ideas how to turn the MG charger off...... turning on I use the card and works fine.

If you mean turn it off so the lights go out, I do it using the breaker. I don't see how else I could do it.

Just a quick update. Meter and charger fitted and sort of working. Any ideas how to turn the MG charger off...... turning on I use the card and works fine.

You can stop charging by unlocking the car, then turn off the charger at the breaker if you want.

On the EP+, iSmart doesn't connect to the car, you can use it to start charging at MG fast DC chargers and that's about it.  I have used my daughter's iSmart account for her EP+ to fast DC charge my Porsche Taycan at MG.  The dealer said it wouldn't work, but it does.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ours, ZS, I simply press 'finish charging' on the screen inside the car, then the card against the charger.  To turn off the wall charger itself, turn the breaker off. 

Also when on the granny charger, same / finish charging, and/or as stated, unlock, and car releases the cable.

Our wall charger is actually on the grid, as I doubt very much if we'll be using it, except in emergencies/major mis-calculation on my part.  Not wanting to stress the 8kW system with 7kW draw, knowing the grid will kick in anyway. but since no plans on really using, just put on the grid.  Installer ran a separate line for it.  IF using, 0-100% is all of ฿250, if at ฿5 a kW.  Even with that high cost, we can still afford Swensen's once a week ????

I'll use the granny charger, as slower is better for battery longevity.   We keep it at 60-80%.  50% minimum, in case of a med emergency, that will get us to Hua Hin with plenty to spare.

At 60-80%, we can top up in 1 day.  20% = 10kW = <5 hrs of sunshine, so no problem.  Even at 50-80% = 30% = 15kW = <7 hrs charging, and I've started it before sunrise if knowing ESS has a few kW to spare, then sun takes over, again, no problems doing in 1 day.  Or all 7 hrs in prime sun time ... 9am-4pm, and more than enough for the car & house & ESSs back to 100% before sunset.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@KhunLA what about these charge cables instead of granny charging?

Only 3.5kW / 16A so you could still charge via your Solar System but a bit quicker. ????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/feyree-portable-ev-charger-type2-iec62196-2-16a-32a-ev-charger-35kw-7kw-11kw-evse-charging-cable-eu-plug-controller-wallbox-for-electric-car-i3928455296-s15128119902.html

Edited by MJCM

48 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@KhunLA what about these charge cables?

Only 3.5kW / 16A would that be any good to charge via your Solar System?

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i3562702454-s13300601912.html

Our system would handle anything, or at least up to 32A, as we have 32A breakers.  Probably handle more if wiring to outlets would handle the heat.  I know in the other house, we had a couple 40A and 45A breakers, I think, even one 60A breaker, maybe.  As the water heater was 8kW at that house, and supplied every faucet w/hot water.  Would easily brew a cup of tea, from the tap.

I'm trying to be as 'off grid' as I can, why we put the wall charger @ 7.4kW on the grid ???? since not using.   Don't want to stress out the 8kW inverter.  We've drawn 7kW with no problem, with ACs, hot water heaters (3.5kW) and ovens going (2.2kW) and handles it fine.  Just wouldn't want to run it at max, 7-8kW for 10-15hrs. 

The house only needs 0.3kW if nothing on, then 7.4kw added would still be below 8kW.   Inverter would take a bit more than 8kW, (8.8kW per manual) before shutting down, but why stress it.  That's if not supplementing with the grid to take some of the load.

Along with taking the ESSs down, if sun is not out.   You can set the grid to kick in at any time with our inverter.  Also we can set it to run separate functions.   Prioritize the solar to batteries, grid to load, and even possibly a mix of and for both.   But we simply like being as 'off grid' as much as possible.

More spite than cost savings.  250 baht for 100% charge to the EV, isn't going to break the wallet.  Without an O&A, that would last all month.

Also no desire to fast charge the EV's battery anyway.  2.3kW is fine, with minimal planning, and good battery maintenance.  If need be, due to a miscalculation, can pop over the MG and top up in 30-60 minutes.

Oh yea, link didn't open to anything.  

This shows what MG EVs will take, whether applicable to ones sold here, not sure.  

If wrong, hope someone chimes in to correct me ????

MG ZS EV 2022.png

Edited by KhunLA

I am ordering a EV outside Thailand and i know several people driving EV's . Most of those people do NOT have any charge or wall box , and they do use their car every single day for driving to work. All EV's i know can charge from any normal output at 2.3kW . Knowing that EV's normally use 15-20kW/100km , means you can use any normal output if you do less then 150km per day . I guess , by far most people do not do those distances . Sure wallbox does charge faster , but just plug in your car when you are home and you can drive every single day a good distance without any special wiring and meters .

My thought was to use that cable instead of Granny Charging so instead of 2.3kW and then 21hrs to full charge use this cable 3.5kW (16A) and 13 hrs to full charge.

This would even stress your Inverter a lot less ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies.

Another question, we have a separate meter for charging the car. Using the pea Tou meter  The consumer unit also has several spare MCBs. Could we plug our washing machine into this and take advantage of the Tou rate. Also would this be detrimental to the car if using both at the same time ...

Just now, MJCM said:

My thought was to use that cable instead of Granny Charging so instead of 2.3kW and then 21hrs to full charge use this cable 3.5kW (16A) and 13 hrs to full charge.

This would even stress your Inverter a lot less ????

The trick is , keep your car fully loaded . Not like your petrol or diesel car , where you refuel when empty , just plug in your car when you are at home . This way you need not 10h , 15h for fully loading your car , but only 1-4 hours ( normal outlet that means 2.5-10kW or 15-75km which covers most transport needs ) .