British man sentenced for rape in UK flees to Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Very good point. Can anyone be convicted in their absence? Doesn't seem right that you haven't had the opportunity to defend yourself. 

Eh??  Of course he had the opportunity to defend himself, that's what a court case is. However he decided to flee rather than attempt to defend himself in court.

So you suggest people shouldn't be convicted if they flee?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Eh??  Of course he had the opportunity to defend himself, that's what a court case is. However he decided to flee rather than attempt to defend himself in court.

So you suggest people shouldn't be convicted if they flee?

Doctor Crippen fled in disguise because he knew the police were going to fit him up. 97 years later, DNA evidence proved that's exactly what the police/pathologist did.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

That's in some ways worse, because a debt of 200 pounds could accumulate into 5,000 pounds with all the endless court costs, processing charges, fees etc. 

Meaningless fees and amounts. Without the power to arrest or force entry into your home there is no way of collecting the debt.

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Doctor Crippen fled in disguise because he knew the police were going to fit him up. 97 years later, DNA evidence proved that's exactly what the police/pathologist did.  

What are you talking about? What relevance does some obscure American case have from 100+ years ago?

So this guys didn't rape anyone because of Crippen??

Pathetic efforts to defend a convicted rapist who fled justice. Really pathetic.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, Seppius said:

Why have they always got goatees?

Maybe women these days are turned off by goatees, that's why the guys become rapists.

Extradition treaties are no guarantee of anything, I learned that living in Brazil.  Very common to see stories in the press about foreigners being deported simply because "we don't want you in our country."  The articles will usually contain a paragraph about the moral superiority of their country versus where the no-goodnik is from (especially Western Hemisphere countries); this is good for a laugh because the country is even more corrupt than LOS.  When this guy was busted a member of Congress down there made a speech questioning how an obvious foreigner (he had very long blonde hair when busted) can be in the country so long without being detected.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, lujanit said:

How can a man charged with rape not have his Passport taken off him and not placed on a no fly list?  This is a almighty screw up by the UK justice system.

He could probably get on a dinghy in France without his passport, pretend he doesn't speak English and get put up in a 5 star hotel for years, all expenses paid.

'Job's a good un' as they say

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No , the DNA findings were disputed and the guilty verdict still stands 

Disputed doesn't mean they are wrong of course. The pathologist involved was 'suspect'. Those police officers would not only have fitted up Dr. Crippen during their careers. Pardoning Dr. Crippen would open up a can of worms. The British Criminal Justice system is rotten to the core.  

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

What are you talking about? What relevance does some obscure American case have from 100+ years ago?

So this guys didn't rape anyone because of Crippen??

Pathetic efforts to defend a convicted rapist who fled justice. Really pathetic.

Not an obscure case and not American although Dr. Crippen and his wife were from USA. Point is, if you know the cops are going to fit you up and especially that you're going to hang the best thing to do is flee the Country. If you had a word with some retired police officers, they would confirm that malicious accusations of rape are common. As someone else has already stated, the guy should have remained to face the music. A jury may have found in his favour.

7 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

I would take that, over the one here, any day.

Fair comment. But when police boast to you that they have 'doubled up the counts' to make the outcome worse then you lose respect for them and begin to think what else do they do? Fortunately, in my case, the CPS barrister was not happy that the police had done this and told the judge. The detective in court went ballistic and told her to "remember whose side you are on". 

18 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Fair comment. But when police boast to you that they have 'doubled up the counts' to make the outcome worse then you lose respect for them and begin to think what else do they do? Fortunately, in my case, the CPS barrister was not happy that the police had done this and told the judge. The detective in court went ballistic and told her to "remember whose side you are on". 

Think there is way more good than bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Think there is way more good than bad.

The image has definitely improved. 50 years ago huge smirking oafs took delight in bellowing in your face (I've had some of that). Perhaps it's the raising of educational requirements or, more likely, everyone possessing mobile 'phones with cameras?

On 11/9/2022 at 2:24 AM, lujanit said:

How can a man charged with rape not have his Passport taken off him and not placed on a no fly list?  This is a almighty screw up by the UK justice system.

because, if you understood the uk judicial system, he's innocent until proven guilty. in certain cases, if an accused is specifically identified as a flight risk, this can happen, but to do this on a wide scale would be contrary to basic human rights

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was all investigated and many of the offenders were prosecuted and jailed 

Header media

only a small part of this terrible crime ever came out ..as the OP said cover up..Woke British government afraid of upsetting certain masses..

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:
On 11/9/2022 at 1:15 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Let's see how quickly the extradition application works, just locating him means not a lot.  Vorayuth has not been found guilty in court of anything yet and the country that he's in probably doesn't have an extradition treaty with Thailand.

Expand  

Totally different case and scenario, as Vorayuth has multiple nationalities, he is not wanted on any except the Thai one. He does not travel with his Thai passport either.

You quoted my response to soi2eddie, I was not asking about Vorayuth.  I know that he is not wanted anywhere else and I know that he no longer has a valid Thai passport.

8 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Disputed doesn't mean they are wrong of course. The pathologist involved was 'suspect'. Those police officers would not only have fitted up Dr. Crippen during their careers. Pardoning Dr. Crippen would open up a can of worms. The British Criminal Justice system is rotten to the core.  

It was over 100 years ago 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was over 100 years ago 

Very true, 1910. Also, Dr. Crippen was almost certainly guilty based on circumstantial evidence and his behaviour both before and after the event. Police continue to fit people up though. My point was that our guy may have lacked the confidence to defend himself and/or may have believed the police were determined to convict him. Fleeing the Country guaranteed his conviction. Had he remained, the outcome may have been different.

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Very true, 1910. Also, Dr. Crippen was almost certainly guilty based on circumstantial evidence and his behaviour both before and after the event. Police continue to fit people up though. My point was that our guy may have lacked the confidence to defend himself and/or may have believed the police were determined to convict him. Fleeing the Country guaranteed his conviction. Had he remained, the outcome may have been different.

Quite possible that your guy , (not mine) may have committed rape and knew he would be going to jail and so escaped to Thailand to avoid jail .

Fleeing the Country didn't guarantee his conviction , he still had a fair trail and it was the evidence that got him  a guilty verdict .

• Like 1