Is PTSD real or only weak people?

georgegeorgia

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just his opinion but I'm looking forward to his sharing/explanation of how he is qualified to have an opinion of this subject.

I'm not about to divulge my position with DVA. Accept what I say or not. Up to you.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I just gave an account above of a  psychiatrist being easily fooled, and believe me I could name many more instances of the same thing. No doubt most were probably genuine, but a lot weren't. I did get to read all the case files, so have first hand knowledge.

All the case files? Hows that?

PTSD—known to previous generations as shell shock, soldier's heart, combat fatigue, or war neurosis—has roots stretching back centuries and was widely known during ancient times.

High-functioning PTSD can look good on the outside while hiding a multitude of fraying threads. Though many men and women carry their 'functional' PTSD for years without further damage, most people lose the ability to manage their functionality in life.

People who do develop PTSD are not “weak.” They have experienced an event that they struggle to understand, and their bodies and brains are “stuck” replaying the event and all the upsetting emotions that come with it.

Individuals in positions more likely to be exposed to traumatic circumstances are generally perceived as “tougher” people: firefighters, police officers, medical workers, and military personnel. As such, they aren’t expected to be people who can get PTSD due to this exposure.

After all, PTSD is what happens to “weaker” people, right? But actually, this is a misunderstanding of PTSD and mental illness in general. Anyone can struggle for various reasons, and how tough they are, has no bearing on their mental health.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You don't believe anything I say, so why bother?

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You don't believe anything I say, so why bother?

Surely you would want to share an acceptable/logical answer to show your credibility.

Just for conveniene I repeat my question "If they never served in the military why were they being assessed by the DVA / DVA psychiatrists?

Surely you would want to share an acceptable/logical answer to show your credibility.

Edited by scorecard

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just for conveniene I repeat my question "If they never served in the military why were they being assessed by the DVA / DVA psychiatrists?

Why would I care if you find me credible or not? You'll just have to live with the doubt.