Is PTSD real or only weak people?

georgegeorgia

32 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't understand all the new medical terms.

Remember my dad talking about whats all this PTSD stuff they talk about these days coming back from a war.

When we came home from ww2 my dad said me and my 3 brothers just got back to work and got on with it.

I feel sorry for guys who have problems coming back from war these days so I guess because of more intents media and reporting the symptom is out there more.

So i would say people with PTSD are weak compared to my dad and my uncles but maybe it was to do with there hard poor unbringing so war was a breeze. and somethink else they just had to deal with in life.

Maybe he didnt see much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My father had lots of medical problems. And I know at some stage a doctor suggested that there might be psychological factors involved.

My father's reaction was: I am not crazy!

Because anything psychological was considered "crazy" by him.

I am sure many people in wars from long ago had nightmares and many other problems. But they didn't allow themselves to admit that such reactions are not surprising for people who suffered in war. They just shrugged and pretended all is fine.

My grandpa ww2. No frontline action, no trauma. Therefore no problem. Front liners had the trauma.

Going to war means nothing unless you are actually killing people.

• Like 1

I think it is real, but it could be used like the disability retirements in law enforcement and fire fighting and the military in the U.S.  They are at out of control levels and have been for several years. Many of these claims are do to lifestyle or job burnout, yet file false claims that it is work related.

PTSD could be used in this way as another money grab.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

People definitely use it as a reason to get paid off from work, I've noticed they make a miracle recovery once paid off

Strange, one does tend to notice the headache goes away after the assailant  stops banging your head against the pavement. 

Who woulda thunk it!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

People were only tougher in the old days because of social conditioning. 

My grandad was badly affected by the war but he never spoke about it. He just quietly smoked himself to death.

I've had PTSD for about 22 years. I keep thinking it's probably gone but then I hear a loud bang which scares the bejesus out of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The condition is very real. Far more likely to have been acquired from fighting a tour or two in a war, where there is no purpose, nor end in sight, and you are witnessing your buddies getting blown to bits, than a beat cop who has not even been involved in a shooting. 

So, though it is real, many likely use it as an excuse for early retirement or benefits. 

Lastly, no doubt society is getting weaker by the day. You simply cannot compare someone in his 60's, with anyone Gen Z. Growing up without social media made us far stronger and self sufficient. Social media is the single largest contributing factor, in the degradation, weakening, ultra PC, and less confident and capable aspects of society today. I would not want to be a youth today. Nor would I want to bring a baby into this world. Not ever, and certainly not now. 

What is "weak" to us isn't necessarily seen that way by them. 

And you're forgetting that almost all entertainment these days be it sexual or graphic violence, would never have passed the censor 50 years ago. Did that make "us" the weak ones?

All you are witnessing, is the never-ending advance of humanity. 

Plato in ancient Greece, is on record whining about the youth of his time.

Proving that not everything changes, but most things do. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Maybe he didnt see much.

PTSD from military/war events has existed forever and will continue forever, but it's wasn't propery diagnosed/understood until well after WW2.

Many soldiers came home from WW1, WW2, the Korean conflict and more with PTSD but nobody knew they had this condition and they didn't speak up (partly because it wasn't yet recognized by the military/governments/the medical profession).

I've talked to Australian soliers who saw severe active conflict service in Afghanistan where the conflict environment is diferent (all wars have different conflict environments).These guys have severe PTSD. I was part of a team to talk to/counsel the Afghanistan returnees who were more willing to talk to vets who were also experiencing PTSD (mostly VN vets). Luckily the Afghanistan vets are getting the recognition that their PTSD issues are real and severe. 

But unfortunately there is no cure for PTSD and probably there never will be. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

My grandpa ww2. No frontline action, no trauma. Therefore no problem. Front liners had the trauma.

Going to war means nothing unless you are actually killing people.

-

Edited by scorecard

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder how many of you if told by a work colleague or even a relative that they had PTSD caused by their job that you judge them secretly as weak people?

I know I would if my son or daughter was a emergency services worker and they told me that 

You're the worst sort of dad out there.

Willing to abandon your children due to your messed up idea of weakness.

You obviously have no compassion and are emotionally weak yourself if you were to do this.

Shocking behavior

• Like 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder how many of you if told by a work colleague or even a relative that they had PTSD caused by their job that you judge them secretly as weak people?

I know I would if my son or daughter was a emergency services worker and they told me that 

Would you call a serial killer / rapist strong because he has no compassion?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My father had lots of medical problems. And I know at some stage a doctor suggested that there might be psychological factors involved.

My father's reaction was: I am not crazy!

Because anything psychological was considered "crazy" by him.

I am sure many people in wars from long ago had nightmares and many other problems. But they didn't allow themselves to admit that such reactions are not surprising for people who suffered in war. They just shrugged and pretended all is fine.

I concur, it was a case in those days just get on with it. 

The first time problems occur with people going war was in ww1 they shot them.

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Why do others get this stress syndrome?

Is it a weak person do you think?

I think it's a pension scam, not weak but opportunistic.

If there was no payout there would be little in the way of PTSD claims.

Edited by BritManToo