Is PTSD real or only weak people?

georgegeorgia

I would not rush to judgment on this condition. Certainly there are a few who use it to obtain benefits; however, far more that have been traumatized by their experiences.

The cost of being hardened by experience, rather than being affected by it, IMO is a loss of humanity. Being a tough guy does not necessarily make one a better person. Sometimes worse.

When one looks at police who have to deal with domestic violence, child murders, horrific auto accidents and low-lifes on a daily basis, the only surprise is more don't have PTSD.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would not rush to judgment on this condition. Certainly there are a few who use it to obtain benefits; however, far more that have been traumatized by their experiences.

The cost of being hardened by experience, rather than being affected by it, IMO is a loss of humanity. Being a tough guy does not necessarily make one a better person. Sometimes worse.

When one looks at police who have to deal with domestic violence, child murders, horrific auto accidents and low-lifes on a daily basis, the only surprise is more don't have PTSD.

Lots of murder detectives have issues. Imagine the creeps they have to track down.

17 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

People were only tougher in the old days because of social conditioning. 

My grandad was badly affected by the war but he never spoke about it. He just quietly smoked himself to death.

I've had PTSD for about 22 years. I keep thinking it's probably gone but then I hear a loud bang which scares the bejesus out of me.

Had a friend that fought in the war. Often woke up on the floor with his mattress pulled over him after hearing a loud noise. Said trained reaction.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Also have to deal with their best efforts to treat the majority of the population they are sworn to protect and serve as "Them" versus the Thin Blue Line "Us".

Arrest, incarcerate without grounds, send innocent people to jail for years, bully, ...

Yeah - tuff job

22 minutes ago, seedy said:

Also have to deal with their best efforts to treat the majority of the population they are sworn to protect and serve as "Them" versus the Thin Blue Line "Us".

Arrest, incarcerate without grounds, send innocent people to jail for years, bully, ...

Yeah - tuff job

I can understand that happens in America. AFAIK the instances of rotten apples in Australia is very low. All the police I have encountered there have been professional. I also have had no problem with the police in Thailand.

It comes down to the question: if you don't have any respect for them, and your attitude reflects that, why should they have any respect for you?

• Like 1

As long as we're sharing entertaining malingering stories, there was a case in NYC where a guy won the race up all 106 flights of stairs the Empire State Building. He was a fire fighter out on disability.

It took 2 years, but the City finally threw him off of benefits. When I met him, he was selling pot.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:45 PM, Sparktrader said:

Your post makes no sense. Stress has nothing to do with weakness. It is emotional attachment.

Vulnerability Have alot to say, and you can be born with it or also created when you where young. There is alot of theories about where the vulnerability comes from, but ptsd is real, even among the best and strongest soldiers, policemen, firemen, extreme sports, or any place where you experience dramatic incidents, and you have no chance or possibilities to reset your mind before it creates long lasting damage. 

I believe the new phenomenon is we today have awareness and words for it, before people did not, and we knew them as those who fall out of the society as drunks, drug addicts, homeless etc, or just those who struggle in silence, but still manage their days. 

Others seems to not becaffected by it, and been through alot of dramatic happenings myself, I cant say Im to much affected long term. Maybe because I learned to talk and debrief such incidents instead of trying to escape from what happened and the feelings it created. 

People with alot of emphasis, or to much, can maybe be more vulnerable than others?

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Lots of murder detectives have issues. Imagine the creeps they have to track down.

My mate's dad was a senior CID Inspector in the UK. Must have seen a lot of nasty stuff, but said the most disturbing thing for him was having to think like a psychopath in order to catch them.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:04 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Ask some people in the military, who saw their best mates blown up in tiny pieces.

Ignorant post.

Funny how a lot of them developed PTSD just after retirement. Gave them a nice little retirement package from DVA.

23 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

During WW I they had some outbreak of PTSD, they shot them and everything went back to normal.

Yup - those were the days.

Sign "Oh Britannia", or "La Marseillaise", to name just two.

And follow the orders of some preppy public school Idiot who sends you 'Over the Top', and then sits down at an oak table with linen tablecloth and drinks tea from china cups.

And how DARE those lower class people resist, argue, or not follow orders ! Shocking !

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

And you could....laughable keyboard warrior that you are.

No. I am being faceitius.... on a thread with lots of old men looking down on younger people because they were not strong like the older generation. This topic is just pathetic.. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

No. I am being faceitius.... on a thread with lots of old men looking down on younger people because they were not strong like the older generation. This topic is just pathetic.. 

It's a fact that the younger generation has produced a lot of snowflakes.

• Thanks 2

Just now, giddyup said:

Funny how a lot of them developed PTSD just after retirement. Gave them a nice little retirement package from DVA.

When one has time on their hands and nothing to divert the mind, this is when memories and visions pervade the mind and start to cause issues. My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed.  He lived a full life as a rancher afterwards  sure he was a mean <deleted>, but only after he turned 65 and could not do the job anymore did his mind start to cause many issues. He would nap on the couch and awaken screaming the names of his friends who died and kept yelling the flames, the flames until he was calmed down. He never talked about the war, and it was not until he passed on and my father opened up his military footlocker hidden away in a closet did we understand what he endured.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

When one has time on their hands and nothing to divert the mind, this is when memories and visions pervade the mind and start to cause issues. My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed.  He lived a full life as a rancher afterwards  sure he was a mean <deleted>, but only after he turned 65 and could not do the job anymore did his mind start to cause many issues. He would nap on the couch and awaken screaming the names of his friends who died and kept yelling the flames, the flames until he was calmed down. He never talked about the war, and it was not until he passed on and my father opened up his military footlocker hidden away in a closet did we understand what he endured.

I worked for the DVA for many years. A lot of the PTSD claims were just scams to get TPI pensions so they could retire comfortably. When Vietnam vets reached retirement there was an avalanche of claims.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

When everything goes quiet and you got to much time to think, that's when it escalate for many.

Especially young people who see no future is more affected than us, or my generation, we could just walk up to a random place and ask for work, and most likely you would succeed in a few days. People who struggle with self confidence today, I'm pretty much sure meet the famous wall quite fast! 

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I worked for the DVA for many years. A lot of the PTSD claims were just scams to get TPI pensions so they could retire comfortably. When Vietnam vets reached retirement there was an avalanche of claims.

And many of them were real, just like my fathers VA Claim. USAF retired, shot down in Vietnam and made it to safety with the help of Cambodian allies, but his story is not complete as he then assisted the Vets needing help by driving the guys to their appointments in San Francisco and Sacramento by VA van. He had permanent injuries and not just PTSD.  I suffered PTSD for years but with the help of a great counselor learned to compartmentalize issues, still have nightmares from tge I cidents, but they are few and far between, it is also why I became a Mental Health Mental Illness instructor and Trainer.  Tough guys never ask for help until it is too late and it has taken its toll on the body and the mind. Mental illness is not a joke.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Lol pussy... could he not handle the front line?

Your pathetic ignorance is laughable,  what infected dick did you dribble off the end of. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

And many of them were real, just like my fathers VA Claim. USAF retired, shot down in Vietnam and made it to safety with the help of Cambodian allies, but his story is not complete as he then assisted the Vets needing help by driving the guys to their appointments in San Francisco and Sacramento by VA van. He had permanent injuries and not just PTSD.  I suffered PTSD for years but with the help of a great counselor learned to compartmentalize issues, still have nightmares from tge I cidents, but they are few and far between, it is also why I became a Mental Health Mental Illness instructor and Trainer.  Tough guys never ask for help until it is too late and it has taken its toll on the body and the mind. Mental illness is not a joke.

There's no way of knowing exactly how many are genuine. Psychiatrists on whole are gullible people and will believe anything a client tells them. Perhaps I'm a bit cynical because I saw so much  scamming going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your pathetic ignorance is laughable,  what infected dick did you dribble off the end of. 

Have i given you stress? Old boy lol you thought you could handle it... what are you some kind of woke young one? Toughen up. PTSD allegedly only affects the younger generation who are trying to scrounge benefits according to the old boys on this topic.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There's no way of knowing exactly how many are genuine. Psychiatrists on whole are gullible people and will believe anything a client tells them. Perhaps I'm a bit cynical because I saw so much  scamming going on.

Trained Pschiatrists who have studied for years are now labelled by some bogan as on the whole gullible... lucky we have you here trained on what is and whats not to lay down the law.

• Thanks 1