Is PTSD real or only weak people?

georgegeorgia

47 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a fact that the younger generation has produced a lot of snowflakes.

It's also a fact most of them can't spell any word of more than two syllables correctly. They understand PTSD, not the words behind the acronym.

28 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Trained Pschiatrists who have studied for years are now labelled by some bogan as on the whole gullible... lucky we have you here trained on what is and whats not to lay down the law.

Who's laying down the law? I'm telling you what my experience and observations showed me after 15 years with the DVA. I saw psychiatrists approving PTSD claims for people, who as it turned out, never even served in the military, but gave false accounts of witnessing all kinds of atrocities. Watch any court case where psychiatrists are called by both sides to see how their opinions can be total opposites.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:22 AM, itsari said:

I noticed that when living in Norway that if a house went up in flames then the local gossip was that it must of been a insurance job .

People have the same attitude to PTSD claims .

That's a strong assumption.

There must be false claims, were dealing with human beings.

In terms of PTSD from war service please note that as an example the Australian DVA (Dept., of Veterans Affairs) has much experience and knowledge re PTSD. Other countries also and I'm aware that many countries regularly study what other counties are doing re PTSD and how they assess PTSD.

I can tell you that re the Aust. DVA,  if a veteran lodges a disability claim saying they have PTSD, their claim is taken very seriously and there's many very well structured long self-assessments and assessments conducted by licensed and experienced physicians (approved by the DVA)  and several long structured sessions with qualified and very experienced psychiatrists (approved by the DVA).

I've been through this, took many months, I very much doubt 'fakers' would pass. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In terms of PTSD from war service please note that as an example the Australian DVA (Dept., of Veterans Affairs) has much experience and knowledge re PTSD. Other countries also and I'm aware that many countries regularly study what other counties are doing re PTSD and how they assess PTSD.

I can tell you that re the Aust. DVA,  if a veteran lodges a disability claim saying they have PTSD, their claim is taken very seriously and there's many very well structured long self-assessments and assessments conducted by licensed and experienced physicians (approved by the DVA)  and several long structured sessions with qualified and very experienced psychiatrists (approved by the DVA).

I've been through this, took many months, I very much doubt 'fakers' would pass. 

Accroding to our Giddy up DVA assesor the assesors are wideily gullible morons.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I just gave an account above of a  psychiatrist being easily fooled, and believe me I could name many more instances of the same thing. No doubt most were probably genuine, but a lot weren't. I did get to read all the case files, so have first hand knowledge.

8 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Accroding to our Giddy up DVA assesor the assesors are wideily gullible morons.

That also applies to some posters here. Do you know how many dangerous criminals were released back into society because they convinced a trick cyclist that they were rehabilitated?

Edited by giddyup

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I just gave an account above of a  psychiatrist being easily fooled, and believe me I could name many more instances of the same thing. No doubt most were probably genuine, but a lot weren't. I did get to read all the case files, so have first hand knowledge.

So how did you get access to read all the case files?

Who are we to judge? How somebody can judge other measuring their struggles against their own experiences? When you had a few friends who you never thought would go so far to take their own life, you know many struggles in silence, even you knew they carried some weight, they also told you everything was not perfect, and finely, they put a stop to it. Who are we to judge?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Who's laying down the law? I'm telling you what my experience and observations showed me after 15 years with the DVA. I saw psychiatrists approving PTSD claims for people, who as it turned out, never even served in the military, but gave false accounts of witnessing all kinds of atrocities. Watch any court case where psychiatrists are called by both sides to see how their opinions can be total opposites.

".... 15 years with the DVA. I saw psychiatrists approving PTSD claims for people, who as it turned out, never even served in the military, but gave false accounts of witnessing all kinds of atrocities. ...."

A bit confusing, please expand.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Who are we to judge? How somebody can judge other measuring their struggles against their own experiences? When you had a few friends who you never thought would go so far to take their own life, you know many struggles in silence, even you knew they carried some weight, they also told you everything was not perfect, and finely, they put a stop to it. Who are we to judge?

People who have PTDS and depression are weak minded and soft snowflakes according to the fat old retired whingebags on Thai Visa.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, smutcakes said:

People who have PTDS and depression are weak minded and soft snowflakes according to the fat old retired whingebags on Thai Visa.

Yes.  Same as people who get sick or are disabled...all weak, pathetic people.  Not as rough and tough and manly as the old Thai Visa keyboard warriors. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

".... 15 years with the DVA. I saw psychiatrists approving PTSD claims for people, who as it turned out, never even served in the military, but gave false accounts of witnessing all kinds of atrocities. ...."

A bit confusing, please expand.

What part is confusing?

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes.  Same as people who get sick or are disabled...all weak, pathetic people.  Not as rough and tough and manly as the old Thai Visa keyboard warriors. 

You must be reading an alternate Thai Visa, never see anyone say that.

28 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

In fact, a lot of those fat, old retired whingebags are in Thailand on PTSD pensions. So that kind of defeats your statement.

4 minutes ago, proton said:

Used to be for soldiers suffering from the effects of war, now it seems to be claimed by people who missed a flight, divorced or even a minor medical matter. Society just gets weaker.

There is also the incentive of a very generous DVA pension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, proton said:

Used to be for soldiers suffering from the effects of war, now it seems to be claimed by people who missed a flight, divorced or even a minor medical matter. Society just gets weaker.

You forget abuse, especially abuse of young kids, family violence, those who grew up in traumatized families of war, who again violeted their families again, religious brainwashed psychopaths who terrorized their families, and those men who have been abused by their ex wife's, that seems to be nr one on this forum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

There is also the incentive of a very generous DVA pension.

Is that relevant?

You say 'generous DVA pension' (which is just your personal opinion rather than a structured calcualtion from a experience based systematic calculation embraced by experts as suitable and fair).

To be honest I'm not interested in your opinion on this point.

The DVA Disability pension also embraces many other disabilities; examples; loss of legs, arms, hands or all limbs and other items.

By the way have you served in the armed forces? And do you have war service? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

If they never served in the military why were they being assessed by the DVA / DVA psychiatrists?

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

True, It does come and go, and often with long periods of time between 'episodes'.

Which also can be related to personal economic situation, life crises, other health issues,,,,,,,,, as well to much time to think negatively.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Is that a fair assessments of folks who contribute to ThaiVisa/AsianNow?

I don't think so.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I worked for the DVA for many years. A lot of the PTSD claims were just scams to get TPI pensions so they could retire comfortably. When Vietnam vets reached retirement there was an avalanche of claims.

Any conscript sent there deserved anything they could get. Shameful episode in US history IMO.