Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A lot of poor people seem to have plenty of money to buy cigarettes and  booze. I live with a load of young unemployed people ( strangely they seem capable of work but choose not to, even though plenty of unskilled jobs locally available ). Never short of a can of booze or a ciggie. Nice life though- party on.

So now you're using NZ examples to show the UK is doing ok.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

More Brexit fallout.

‘Life or death.’ As Britons buckle under the cost of living crisis, many resort to ‘warm banks’ for heat this winter

"“We look the worst in G7 countries, we’re the only one in terms of recovery … that hasn’t gone back to where we were pre-pandemic."

Thought you was on strike. ????

3 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

People complaining because they cannot put the heating on at home and having to use blankets to keep warm .

What a hard life these people are living , having to wear clothes at home instead of walking around in shorts and T-shirt and turning the heating on  like they are the tropics .

BTW , I do have an anecdotal story about that . but I am not going to write it as I will be accused of lying again , so I will not post it 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Why do you feel the need to put down people who can't afford heating their home anymore so resort to sitting under blankets?

I don't believe he was.

His post is suggesting it is normal behavior to wear warm clothing at home instead of having heating on or too high.

That is certainly what I do even though I don't have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Why do you feel the need to put down people who can't afford heating their home anymore so resort to sitting under blankets?

I wasn't putting down people who cannot afford to heat their homes , I was commenting on the people who complain about having to keep warm by wearing clothes and not being able to use the heating  . The people who feel they should have heated homes and shouldn't need to wear warm clothes , is the people I referred to 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I don't believe he was.

His post is suggesting it is normal behavior to wear warm clothing at home instead of having heating on or too high.

Customers have been given money to help with utility bills direct from the supplier . 

I didnt get a meter reading or pay a gas bill for the whole of 2022 , (the estimated bills were addressed to someone else and so I didn't open them ) , a guy from the gas company then came to visit to take a reading and I got a gas bill for the whole year......................and I am 800 Pounds in credit .

The gas company has credited my account with money for the gas bill and after personal usage , I am 800 Quid in credit for the year

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who complains about having to wear clothes in keep warm in their house when the simple solution is to wear more clothes and that will keep them warm .

I never put the heating on in my house and just wear more clothes to keep warm when its cold .

Its not anyone's human right to be able to sit and watch telly wearing shorts and a T-shirt in mid winter , just put some tracksuit bottoms and and wear  hoodie and you wont get cold .

Whatever next ?

People complaining about food  banks being too far away and could they make home deliveries ?

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who complains about having to wear clothes in keep warm in their house when the simple solution is to wear more clothes and that will keep them warm .

I never put the heating on in my house and just wear more clothes to keep warm when its cold .

Its not anyone's human right to be able to sit and watch telly wearing shorts and a T-shirt in mid winter , just put some tracksuit bottoms and and wear  hoodie and you wont get cold .

Whatever next ?

People complaining about food  banks being too far away and could they make home deliveries ?

I agree.

We've not had the heating on in the 2 years we've live in our current flat as we've never felt too cold.

Our energy direct debit is £67 a month. We are currently £208 in credit. Add to that the £66 a month we've been receiving as support, our energy bills are next to nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I wasn't putting down people who cannot afford to heat their homes , I was commenting on the people who complain about having to keep warm by wearing clothes and not being able to use the heating  . The people who feel they should have heated homes and shouldn't need to wear warm clothes , is the people I referred to 

Oh, those horrible wretched people! Don't they understand that heated homes is a luxury!?!?

• Like 2

Yes. People complaining they don't have enough money to feed their families and have to resort to food banks! What, do they think it's a human right to eat just because they're hungry??

I'm sure they'll be first in line when the food aid packages from EU start arriving, the b******s!

You seem to have missed the point of the post you quoted.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No.

They said what they said.

They may argue they then qualified it (I’d disagree) but they still said it. 

Edit: to make you happy here is the comment (I’ve ignored the waffle about anecdotes) where such criticism was made. 

“People complaining because they cannot put the heating on at home and having to use blankets to keep warm .

What a hard life these people are living, having to wear clothes at home instead of walking around in shorts and T-shirt and turning the heating on  like they are the tropics”

That is still having a pop at people who cannot afford to turn on the heating. 

It seems it is actually having a pop at those who won't help themselves.

The sarcasm in the post shows that to anyone who does not suffer from selective reading syndrome.

Yes. People complaining they don't have enough money to feed their families and have to resort to food banks! What, do they think it's a human right to eat just because they're hungry??

I'm sure they'll be first in line when the food aid packages from EU start arriving, the b******s!

When the EU going to start sending food aid packages to the 6 million EU nationals living in the UK

• Like 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

It seems it is actually having a pop at those who won't help themselves.

The sarcasm in the post shows that to anyone who does not suffer from selective reading syndrome.

No. The post was clear and typical of this poster. 

18 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I don't believe he was.

Buriram can get quite chilly…

On 12/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

What else would an opposition politician say.

If the car industry can't sell cars it's could be for any number of reasons eg they are rubbish or too expensive.

Or they can't get the parts because of brexit, obviously not a reason you want to recognise.

• Like 1