Thailand and Indonesia could soon become home for some lucky Aussies

webfact

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Note that the article gives the sum required for Indonesia, but is silent on what Thailand demands.

Yes, I noted that they mashed the two countries, and their different requirements, into the one story.  Channel 9, Australia isn't the best network around. 

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You can buy a house in your name, but the land it sits on is done by a 30 year leasehold which is registered at the Land office. You can then possibly extend another 30 years, but then will someone who is 65 still be around in 30 years. My house and my condo will be passed onto my heirs via a  trust and will,already certified and in file with the proper locals, both here and in the US.

Average 3br house build cost...  1.2m baht?

30 year lease worth? 1m baht?

The guy paid $270,000a which is 6.5m baht, ripped off

• Like 1

This story comes from channel 9 in Australia, the same channel that, at the start of covid, sent a team of reporters to a wet market in Bangkok, to show us where covid came from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, maddermax said:

So what’s so special about the Ozzies?

In this case, the new Australian foreign affairs minister, Penny Wong attended APEC (and ASEAN?), had talks with the Thai PM, and they signed some agreements regarding human trafficking and other matters. 

I had been hoping for some bilateral agreements for relief on retirees' tax, pensions, or even just the tariffs on wine.

Apparently, all we expats got was lip service for an already existing, expensive visa. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

In this case, the new Australian foreign affairs minister, Penny Wong attended APEC (and ASEAN?), had talks with the Thai PM, and they signed some agreements regarding human trafficking and other matters. 

I had been hoping for some bilateral agreements for relief on retirees' tax, pensions, or even just the tariffs on wine.

Apparently, all we expats got was lip service for an already existing, expensive visa. 

Yes, that's absolutely correct. They needed something to announce at the photo op, so announced something that already exists and nothing to do with Thai/Australian relationship .

I'm surprised they didn't re-announce already existing free trade agreements or tax treaties.

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Rai has plenty of coffee shops in the 30 - 50 baht range. The places you mention are tourist traps, with prices adjusted accordingly.

Yes, lots of tourists in BKK, Patts, Phuket etc but there's also many coast/capital city- loving expats who live in those places and would never ever consider living in the far north... even it meant saving 10 baht a day for a coffee.

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Yes, lots of tourists in BKK, Patts, Phuket etc but there's also many coast/capital city- loving expats who live in those places and would never ever consider living in the far north... even it meant saving 10 baht a day for a coffee.

No 35 baht coffees in Pattaya? I thought it was cheap! CM is full of tourists btw

19 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

No 35 baht coffees in Pattaya? I thought it was cheap! CM is full of tourists btw

No 35 baht coffees in Pattaya? No, not anywhere I’ve seen. 

CM is full of tourists btw. I never said it wasn’t. 

Edited by Nemises

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

https://www.imigrasi.go.id/en/permohonan-visa-republik-indonesia-wisatawan-lanjut-usia-pensiunan/  Basically apply for a one year visa via a Travel Agent, as they will sponsor you. In Bali, ability to pay USD 500 rent per month, and spend USD 1500 per month. And the real quirk. Must employ two Indonesians. It used to be one. That is, a maid. A retirement visa in Indonesia is not a new thing. Previously it was a bit more like Thailand where you had to have USD 17,000 in the bank, and then you get a one year visa. No mention in the link of 5 to 10 year visa. For me, I am married to an Indonesian. After 7 years of marriage I have a lifetime visa, although I have to visit immigration every 5 years. 

Better than visting immigration every 90 days !

47 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

My understanding is we already have a tax treaty with Thailand and states in the treaty pensions are tax free 

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

“$A2.00” (47b) coffee? Where? in some remote village soi cart, out the back of Nakhon nowhere. 

Good luck finding a 47b coffee shop (to sit in) anywhere in BKK, Patts, Phuket etc. 

you need to open your eyes. 45 baht for coffee is quite common in the Pattaya/Jomtien area

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:
"decided to move to Thailand because I can buy a property here for about a third of the price," Australian retiree David Astley said.
Astley is now settled in a three-bedroom home, which he says cost him only $270,000"

Farangs cant buy homes at that price point. Either a condo or not his name.

Farangs can own their home but not the land

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Average 3br house build cost...  1.2m baht?

30 year lease worth? 1m baht?

The guy paid $270,000a which is 6.5m baht, ripped off

Depends on his taste and style of the house and accesorizations he installed.. My condo was 25 Mthb 156 sqm penthouse in BKK, and my house 9.2 MThb. The house is 245 sqm with a pool on half a Rai within walking distance to the beach....I just added more built-in granite top cabinets in the kitchen and others in the Bedrooms as built in dressers. Added a Storage building as well. It all comes down to living how you want if you can afford to.  In the end you can't take it with you. I also picked up the LTRWP Visa. So instead of throwing 1 Mthb at an Elite Visa I only spent 50k for 10 years.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think I am so skint I live in Chiang Rai to save 10 baht on coffee?

Each to his own. Having a holiday in Pattaya or Phuket for a week is enough for me. As for Bangkok, I would sooner chew razor blades, than be there for more than a day passing through. A dirty, expensive s##thole, with too many people and year-round air pollution.

A lot of tourists pass on Chiang Rai, which is fine with me. It's the starting point for a lot of unusual and beautiful places the average tourist never sees.

Great you like it up there. Lived in the far north for a number of years, not for me. <deleted> that! never again.

Coastal living with quick access (whenever required for a change of scenery) to the islands and sin city and BKK for me thanks!