IO demands a 12 month statement from 1st time retirement extension from an O visa - right or wrong ?

1 hour ago, Richard 2020 said:

After all, this is something completely different!!!

Why should the immigration check your income if they have the required 800.000.-THB in the bank ???

When someone is doing the retirement extension with 800k baht in a bank, they are not being asked about their income.  The purpose of the 12-month statement is to demonstrate that the applicant has complied with the minimum balance requirements in place since the last extension:

800k baht 2 months before current application
800k baht 3 months after receiving last extension
400k baht all other times of the year

This should not be confused with someone using the monthly deposit method (because their embassy or consulate doesn't grant income letters), in which case they must show a 12 month bank statement that shows a minimum of 65k baht deposited into the account each and every month.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Can Krungsri bank provide a 12 month statement on the spot, as with the bank letter?

yes , that's the bank i use

Jomtien branch, come back in 2 hours.

Nongkhai 15 minutes.

All subject to how many customers in the bank before you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

They were NOT sick on the day. Rather sitting at the immigration office for hours weakened them and they became sick.

As I stated  YMMV.  Not everyone has the same easy experience as yourself.

I just told you the truth. 20 years worth of the truth.

But that hurts some people.

Most people that bag Jomtien immigration, just don't have the correct paper prepared, or have not done any home work, to keep up with any changes.

End of.

Please no more third party story telling, it's boring.

17 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I just told you the truth. 20 years worth of the truth

Most people that bag Jomtien immigration, just don't have the correct paper prepared, or have not done any home work, to keep up with any changes.

Be that as it may, many DO have the paper work and they still have a big wait.

I have waited 5 hours on one occasion, and 4 hours on a totally different occasion, in a hot sweaty over crowded environment where there was insufficient seating and standing room only. 

I am happy to read for 20 years you have had good experiences, but the fact is not everyone has been as fortunate as you, DESPITE having all the necessary paperwork.  The simple fact is your mileage may vary.

The reason why many who meet all the requirements, and who have all the paperwork, still go for an agent, is because they do not want risk a 5 hour unpleasant experience in a hot sweaty environment with inadequate sitting.

Myself?  I will risk that, as I prefer to save the money, but I fully understand those who don't want to risk such.

17 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Please no more third party story telling, it's boring.

Your refusal to admit not everyone has had easy experiences like yourself (despite their having ALL necessary paperwork) is what is boring.

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I would recommend anyone applying for an O visa from visa exempt to do it soon after arrival ( although the 45 days exempt is a better safety net ). Although they quote at least 15 days of exempt stay remaining that can cut it fine , always the 30 days extension on exempt available but 1,900 baht unnecessarily spent imo.

I absolutely agree there.  If entering Thailand on a 45-day Visa Exempt, with the intention to apply for a 90-day Type-O Visa, go to immigration as soon as possible to apply for the visa.  ASAP !

In my case I arrived on a Friday (45-days Visa Exempt) and I was planning to show up on Monday with all the needed paperwork. 

Sunday night I came down with COVID symptoms (likely caught COVID on the aircraft or airport on Thurs/Friday the previous week on my way to Thailand).  It was two weeks later before I could safely (legally after having COVID ?? ) go to immigration (fortunately COVID was mild,  fever broke after 2 nights, after which it was only necessary to wait for Thai doctor recommended time frame before I was safe to come out of COVID isolation - actually I obtained 2 different Thai doctor's opinions as to when I could go to immigration). 

So I went to immigration with 30days left in my permission to stay (which expires tomorrow - Sunday).   Immigration told me to show up on Monday (one day after the permission to stay expires) and I have only a blue receipt in my passport to show why I am on what on the surface appears to be an 'overstay' (but I believe it is not such an overstay as I did apply for the Type-O).  I will find out on Monday if I need to wait longer for the Type-O.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thirty days is the longest they can do the report back date. At one time they could do another stamp but that was changed when  they set the 30 day limit.

Thank-you!  That is very interesting to learn. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Be that as it may, many DO have the paper work and they still have a big wait.

I have waited 5 hours on one occasion, and 4 hours on a totally different occasion, in a hot sweaty over crowded environment where there was insufficient seating and standing room only. 

I am happy to read for 20 years you have had good experiences, but the fact is not everyone has been as fortunate as you, DESPITE having all the necessary paperwork.  The simple fact is your mileage may vary.

The reason why many who meet all the requirements, and who have all the paperwork, still go for an agent, is because they do not want risk a 5 hour unpleasant experience in a hot sweaty environment with inadequate sitting.

Myself?  I will risk that, as I prefer to save the money, but I fully understand those who don't want to risk such.

Your refusal to admit not everyone has had easy experiences like yourself (despite their having ALL necessary paperwork) is what is boring.

Thank you for your story telling, of Pattaya immigration.

( the office you don't use)

I put it in the same box,  as Mick from  Scuthorpe giving me advice after 7 large beer Changs, at a bar on beach Road.

Can't wait for your next installment.

12 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I absolutely agree there.  If entering Thailand on a 45-day Visa Exempt, with the intention to apply for a 90-day Type-O Visa, go to immigration as soon as possible to apply for the visa.  ASAP !

In my case I arrived on a Friday (45-days Visa Exempt) and I was planning to show up on Monday with all the needed paperwork. 

Sunday night I came down with COVID symptoms (likely caught COVID on the aircraft or airport on Thurs/Friday the previous week on my way to Thailand).  It was two weeks later before I could safely (legally after having COVID ?? ) go to immigration (fortunately COVID was mild,  fever broke after 2 nights, after which it was only necessary to wait for Thai doctor recommended time frame before I was safe to come out of COVID isolation - actually I obtained 2 different Thai doctor's opinions as to when I could go to immigration). 

So I went to immigration with 30days left in my permission to stay (which expires tomorrow - Sunday).   Immigration told me to show up on Monday (one day after the permission to stay expires) and I have only a blue receipt in my passport to show why I am on what on the surface appears to be an 'overstay' (but I believe it is not such an overstay as I did apply for the Type-O).  I will find out on Monday if I need to wait longer for the Type-O.

Yes, appears like another difference between immigration offices, some ask you to return at the end of the visa exempt stay and others use a 2 week template irrespective of when you apply.

I applied at day 5 at Ayutthaya, of my 30 day exempt, and they gave me a 17 day return date.

A friend did similar at Sisaket and got a 15 day return date.

Another report recently of someone applying shortly after arriving and got a 42 day return date.

Others are notified by phone when their O visa is ready.

I suppose it makes no difference really as I don’t recall anyone reporting being refused on their return to pick up the visa stamp, any discrepancies would be picked up at application. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:21 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, appears like another difference between immigration offices, some ask you to return at the end of the visa exempt stay and others use a 2 week template irrespective of when you apply.

I applied at day 5 at Ayutthaya, of my 30 day exempt, and they gave me a 17 day return date.

A friend did similar at Sisaket and got a 15 day return date.

Another report recently of someone applying shortly after arriving and got a 42 day return date.

Others are notified by phone when their O visa is ready.

Latest up date for myself ...   I arrived in Thailand early October, obtaining a 45-day Visa Exempt entry permission to stay. Unfortunately I immediately came down with COVID symptoms (fortunately mild and it cleared up quick) so it was not until 18-October that I was able to go to immigration to apply for a non-immigrant 90-day Type-O Visa.  My permission to stay on the Visa exempt was until Sunday 20-Nov, and I was told to show up at immigration today 21-November, which I did bright and early this morning.  The visa office was crowded as is the norm, although I have seen it worse.

My Passport and the blue receipt for the TM87 application (that I made on 18-October) were both kept by the Immigration. 

After about 35 minutes I was advised my Visa application was not approved, and told that next week, if approval ready, an IO would call me to come to the office.  I was given the 'blue receipt for a TM87 application" back, but they kept my passport.  So its not just agents who keep one's passport for a number of days (albeit next week, if I get my passport back, is not 100 days as reported in this thread). 

So all the proof I have now for my being allowed in Thailand, is an image I took of my passport page that has my 'expired' (yesterday) permission to stay in my passport, images (and paper copies) of my passport main page ... and a 'pink-Thai-ID card' (for what that's worth ?? ) and a hope that I get my 90-day approved next week.

In defence of Phuket immigration, they were all very very polite - and they appear to work quite hard.  If I would have any recommendation, it would be to grant Phuket immigration the power to approve such Visa's themselves, and not be forced to send the immigration applications to another province (??) to approve.  I have suspect by being forced to send the Visa applications to another province, overall Thai immigration might be doubling their paperwork.

... Anyway, with no passport, I can't legally leave the country ... so all I can do now is wait ... which is not such a bad thing, as the weather is nice and I obviously like Thailand.

Edited by oldcpu

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

Latest up date for myself ...   I arrived in Thailand early October, obtaining a 45-day Visa Exempt entry permission to stay. Unfortunately I immediately came down with COVID symptoms (fortunately mild and it cleared up quick) so it was not until 18-October that I was able to go to immigration to apply for a non-immigrant 90-day Type-O Visa.  My permission to stay on the Visa exempt was until Sunday 20-Nov, and I was told to show up at immigration today 21-November, which I did bright and early this morning.  The visa office was crowded as is the norm, although I have seen it worse.

My Passport and the blue receipt for the TM87 application (that I made on 18-October) were both kept by the Immigration. 

After about 35 minutes I was advised my Visa application was not approved, and told that next week, if approval ready, an IO would call me to come to the office.  I was given the 'blue receipt for a TM87 application" back, but they kept my passport.  So its not just agents who keep one's passport for a number of days (albeit next week, if I get my passport back, is not 100 days as reported in this thread). 

So all the proof I have now for my being allowed in Thailand, is an image I took of my passport page that has my 'expired' (yesterday) permission to stay in my passport, images (and paper copies) of my passport main page ... and a 'pink-Thai-ID card' (for what that's worth ?? ) and a hope that I get my 90-day approved next week.

In defence of Phuket immigration, they were all very very polite - and they appear to work quite hard.  If I would have any recommendation, it would be to grant Phuket immigration the power to approve such Visa's themselves, and not be forced to send the immigration applications to another province (??) to approve.  I have suspect by being forced to send the Visa applications to another province, overall Thai immigration might be doubling their paperwork.

... Anyway, with no passport, I can't legally leave the country ... so all I can do now is wait ... which is not such a bad thing, as the weather is nice and I obviously like Thailand.

Yes, immigration sometimes appears like they are out to try our patience, i myself had a surprise on returning to do my O visa extension today.

Just to recap:

I had been knocked back because I only produced a 3 month statement as this was a new OA visa, Immigration wanted to see a 12 month statement presumably to ensure I had complied with my previous extension from an OA visa Sept 2021.

Anyhoo, left home at 9.15 to get to Bangkok Bank for 9.30 and pick up my 12 month statement ordered the previous Tues, made a transaction and updated bank book, then got a bank letter.

Photocopied bank book and entered immigration around 10.00 am, to my surprise was very quiet and got dealt with almost immediately.

Sat patiently as the paper shuffling and typing commenced.

Paid the 1,900 baht, took the photo and all was good until:

“ you return Dec 13 ( my O expires Dec 14 ) after Immigration visit your home “ 

So i got an under consideration stamp until Dec 13  even though my O visa is good until Dec 14.

8969EA14-05E7-47EF-B301-C23C37F6C33A.thumb.jpeg.22955686fc3aa669375ea37ba3094773.jpeg

I wasn’t expecting this to be honest.

I did have a home visit by Immigration before but don’t recall whether it was when I moved province or when I did my first extension from my OA visa back in Sept 2018.

My 90 day report is at the end of this month, wondering how this will go ??

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

"you return Dec 13 ( my O expires Dec 14 ) after Immigration visit your home "

So i got an under consideration stamp until Dec 13

A home visit for a 1 year retirement extension???? Unbelievable! I thought these were only for extensions based on marriage.

I recently got a 1 year retirement permission / extension from a single entry 90 day non O based on marriage e-visa at Kalasin IO. Previously my wife did the TM30 shortly after I arrived mid July. Used the same address obviously. Same day service so obviously no home visit although the IO was interested in where we live and asked if he could take a photo of me on his phone and have my phone number. He hasn't called though.

Saw him again 3 days ago to get a re entry permit. I got it all wrong on the form where it asks for a visa number/ place of issue and had put in the e- visa details. No, no he said that's finished you must put in the permission to stay number and Kalasin as place of issue. 20 minutes or so later paid the fee and re entry permit stamped in my passport.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

A home visit for a 1 year retirement extension???? Unbelievable! I thought these were only for extensions based on marriage.

Yes , rare I believe , I did have one previously at this same IO, Ayutthaya.

TM30 was done on application for O visa and print out supplied ( and returned ) today, copies of landlord (gf) id and house book also supplied, plus a hand drawn map . Pretty much as done for previous retirement extensions so they have all the address information already but as it’s a new visa might as well do it all again …….. now where did I put that blood pressure medicine ?

50 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , rare I believe , I did have one previously at this same IO, Ayutthaya.

TM30 was done on application for O visa and print out supplied ( and returned ) today, copies of landlord (gf) id and house book also supplied, plus a hand drawn map . Pretty much as done for previous retirement extensions so they have all the address information already but as it’s a new visa might as well do it all again …….. now where did I put that blood pressure medicine ?

Just happened to me as well in Chaengwattana, albeit at the initial conversion stage from visa exempt to Non O (retirement). All went well during the meeting, copy of contract and TM30, and proof of origin of funds from Transferwise were all accepted. The officer gave me a collection date 19 days later, but then just when I thought we were done when she told me I'd be getting a home visit. They rang me last week to make an appointment and showed up the next day. The condo manager was around and came up with them, and it was all over quite quickly, 3 or 4 photos at the door and inside, holding passport etc. Due to collect the stamp this week, so hopefully it'll go smoothly, ditto the extension a couple of months from now.

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

Just happened to me as well in Chaengwattana, albeit at the initial conversion stage from visa exempt to Non O (retirement). All went well during the meeting, copy of contract and TM30, and proof of origin of funds from Transferwise were all accepted. The officer gave me a collection date 19 days later, but then just when I thought we were done when she told me I'd be getting a home visit. They rang me last week to make an appointment and showed up the next day. The condo manager was around and came up with them, and it was all over quite quickly, 3 or 4 photos at the door and inside, holding passport etc. Due to collect the stamp this week, so hopefully it'll go smoothly, ditto the extension a couple of months from now.

I’ve had a home visit before so know the drill …… might even put a t shirt on ????.

Not sure how my 90 days report will pan out though, halfway between now and when my under consideration stamp finishes .

5 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Non-O visa for reason of marriage to a Thai, or for reason of retirement?

8 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks for clarifying that this was for a Non-O visa for purpose of retirement.

I don't have personal experience with obtaining a Non-O visa at the Phuket Immigration Office.  (In my case I had the underlying reason for my extension of stay based on a Non-ED visa changed from education to retirement, so have never applied for a Non-O visa from a visa-exempt entry).

Here's how I have understood the process of getting a Non-O visa for purpose of retirement to work at the Phuket Immigration office:

You apply for the Non-O for retirement along with the required documentation.  You receive an under consideration stamp in your passport.  You also receive a report back date.  Your passport is returned to you along with a receipt for payment of the fee for the Non-O.  At this point by accepting your application Phuket has basically blessed your non-O but that blessing must be confirmed by a higher level office.  This final approval takes on the order of one month.  You return on your report back date, they stamp your Non-O visa into your passport (having received final approval from a higher level office than Phuket), and you get your new permission to stay stamped into your passport.

As a complication to this process, sometimes you will report back to Phuket Immigration on your report back date, but will be told that Phuket has not yet received final approval from above.  You are given another report back date, either a new one stamped in your passport, or verbally.  Usually something like come back in one week or we will call you when its ready.  You go home with your passport and wait for your new report back date or to receive a call telling you it's ready. (I have never heard of a Non-O visa application being accepted at Phuket Immigration and not being finally approved, that is blessed locally, but rejected at the higher level.)

So, the deviation between what you experienced and my understanding of the process is that they retained your passport from the date of your first report back date to your new report back date.  That seems weird to me.  It also seems that if that happened regularly someone would have mentioned it before.  I'm puzzled as to why they did that in this case.  If it's now normal procedure it's news to me.  I've never known your passport to actually be sent to the higher level.  It was enough that copies of your passport pages were sent to the higher level, not the actual book itself.  Of course, it could be that it's done this way all the time as I've not personally experienced this particular process.

In the meantime I think having paper copies (or electronic copies) of the relevant pages in your passport would serve as sufficient documentation until you do get your passport back.  Except for travel.  I know people have been able to use their Thai driver's license for domestic travel, possibly the Pink ID card would also work.

Would be very interested if anyone else has had a similar experience applying for a non-O for purpose of retirement at Phuket Immigration.  If so, my future advice might change to encourage people to get their non-O visas outside rather than inside of Thailand.

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

Here's how I have understood the process of getting a Non-O visa for purpose of retirement to work at the Phuket Immigration office:
You receive an under consideration stamp in your passport.  You also receive a report back date.  Your passport is returned to you along with a receipt for payment of the fee for the Non-O. 

Back on 18-Oct when I applied for the 90-day type-O visa, I did not receive an under consideration stamp ... possibly because I had 32 or 33 days left in my Visa Exempt, and an under consideration stamp would be for 30-days and for less time ??  Or possible in accordance with what UbonJoe noted (see quote below).  I don't know, but there was no such 'underconsideration' stamp for my 90-day Type-O visa application.   

I was only VERBALLY told to report back, at first on 20-Nov (which is when my permission to stay in my 45-day visa exempt expires).  I noted to the IO that was on a Sunday and asked if I should come on Friday 18-Nov instead?  The IO said no, come to immigration instead on Monday 21-Nov (and in response to a concern I expressed that I would be overstaying, I was told not to worry about it being one day after my 'permission to stay' as stamped in my passport expires).

I was allowed then on 18-Oct to keep my passport, and I obtained a blue receipt for payment of the Visa application (the receipt referenced a Visa application on a TM87 but it did NOT say what type of Visa).

But today 21-Nov, when I showed up, I was not allowed to keep my passport.  The immigration office kept my passport (but I was allowed to keep the blue receipt that I was given on 18-Oct). I was told possibly sometime next week Immigation would phone me to come into the immigration office (I assume to pick up my passport with 90-day type-O visa if ready then).

I think what UbonJoe said may be relevant here, where I quote:

A under consideration stamp cannot be done for a visa application. That is why they have the at least 15 days remaining on your stay rule todo the application. The waiting period is for the approval to be done by the division headquarters the office you applied at is under.

Noting that quote ... the Phuket office could not give an 'under consideration stamp', and also, I did have 32 or 33 days left in my Visa exempt.

At the moment, I am not worried ... but I guess if this drags on, I will start to feel unsettled.    I wish that I had not caught COVID, because if I had not caught COVID I would have been able to apply for the 90-day Type-O with more than 40 days left in my Visa Exempt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 9:32 PM, oldcpu said:

But today 21-Nov, when I showed up, I was not allowed to keep my passport.  The immigration office kept my passport (but I was allowed to keep the blue receipt that I was given on 18-Oct). I was told possibly sometime next week Immigation would phone me to come into the immigration office (I assume to pick up my passport with 90-day type-O visa if ready then).

Well , I waited all week (last week) and Phuket Immigration did NOT phone me (to have me go to receive my passport and an approved 90-day Type-O visa).  Immigration still have my passport and they have now had my passport for almost two weeks (where it was almost 6-weeks ago that I applied for a 90-day type-O Visa).  I note my 'permission to stay' as recorded in my passport (where immigration still have my passport) expired on 20-Nov. 

Monday 5-Dec is a holiday, so I plan to show up at immigration on Tuesday 6-Dec and see if they can give me some words of assurance that my passport was not lost in their paperwork.  Likely my Thai wife will accompany me to ensure there are no misunderstandings due to my inability to speak Thai.

18 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Well , I waited all week (last week) and Phuket Immigration did NOT phone me (to have me go to receive my passport and an approved 90-day Type-O visa).  Immigration still have my passport and they have now had my passport for almost two weeks (where it was almost 6-weeks ago that I applied for a 90-day type-O Visa).  I note my 'permission to stay' as recorded in my passport (where immigration still have my passport) expired on 20-Nov. 

Monday 5-Dec is a holiday, so I plan to show up at immigration on Tuesday 6-Dec and see if they can give me some words of assurance that my passport was not lost in their paperwork.  Likely my Thai wife will accompany me to ensure there are no misunderstandings due to my inability to speak Thai.

Hope it works out for you.

Some Immigration offices seem very relaxed about taking our passports or keeping us hanging on .

I do know how you feel, I had my home visit on Tuesday but still have to wait until Dec 13th to return to immigration to get my extension and my O visa expires on Dec 14th.

I feel annoyed because i have since found out that the home visit should have been done on application for O visa ( while I was on visa exempt ) and not for retirement extension as my IO have seen fit. Should have been resolved by October 1st.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:47 PM, buick said:

i got a 90 day O august 2021 from CW.  went back to do one year extension in mid october 2021 and only had to supply the bank book (plus copies of the pages).  no statements.  same when i did the first renewal of the one year in oct 2022.

i originally had an O that had expired as i'd been outside thailand for awhile.

Chang Wattana gives 90 day Non Immigrant O extensions?

I didn't know that.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

A immigration office can issue a non-o visa that allows a 90 day stay that can be extended for one year.

Interesting, thanks.

Is that applicable to all reasons (i.e. marriage, Thai child, etc. etc.)?

And can you do that from any other visa category (or extension of stay)?

On 11/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, Orinoco said:

So when I got one from the yellow bank last week with a letter as well.

this was a figment of my imagination. 2 years in a row, maybe I was just lucky :giggle:

Edit as its only the last 2 years 12 months statement was needed as well as letter different immigration office.

The letter is different to a print out if the account balance. Maybe you have been taking something to get you high. Whatever it is you need to stop.

On 12/4/2022 at 5:55 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks.

My Thai wife and I showed up at Phuket immigration today, to check on the status of my passport and Type-O 90-day Visa application (I applied based on 'retirement') .  Its been over 2 weeks since immigration kept my passport, and over 6-weeks since I applied for the Visa. 

Upon checking, Immigration had my passport, and it had the approved Type-O Visa inside, and I now have a permission to stay in Thailand until mid-February-2023.   My wife was told by the IO (in Thai) that if I wished to apply for a 1-year permission to stay based on the Type-O visa that I should show up at immigration 45-days before my Permission to Stay expires.  

I assume they recommend the 45-days in case I apply for a one-year extension on my permission to stay for "reason of marriage to a Thai", but I intend to apply for reason of 'retirement'.  Still, I intend to apply for the 1-year extension 45-days prior to my mid-February-2023 permission to stay expires .. ie on the 1st working day of January-2023.

As an aside, I note Phuket immigration was VERY VERY crowded. There was a line up all the way down the side walk, just for people trying to get into the main building (where the information desk is located).  I was fortunate that i did not have to get in that line, but rather I needed to go around to the side of the immigration building to door-103, where there is a waiting area.  That waiting area was full, with 3 dozen people waiting - almost all waiting to have their paperwork checked.    (I also note there were over 1/2 dozen cars in line waiting at the car kiosk for their 90-day reports).

I was lucky in that I was only checking on my passport/visa application status, so I was quickly processed and I was only at Immigration for 20-minutes.  BUT those in line to have paperwork examined, likely had a few hour wait.  Further, those in line (all the way to the side walk) likely had a MUCH longer wait than just a few hours.

The immigration officers were all very polite, where this mass of people waiting to be processed must be very difficult for them.  My 'hats off' to the politeness and professionalism of the Phuket Immigration.

Most of those (but not all) in line were speaking an East European (?) language - quite possibly Russian.   The largest group of 'tourists' coming to Phuket at present are Russians, so it would not surprise me if many Russians are applying to stay in Phuket longer.  

I wish all the applicants in line (for Visas) at the Immigration,  good luck.

44 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks.

My Thai wife and I showed up at Phuket immigration today, to check on the status of my passport and Type-O 90-day Visa application (I applied based on 'retirement') .  Its been over 2 weeks since immigration kept my passport, and over 6-weeks since I applied for the Visa. 

Upon checking, Immigration had my passport, and it had the approved Type-O Visa inside, and I now have a permission to stay in Thailand until mid-February-2023.   My wife was told by the IO (in Thai) that if I wished to apply for a 1-year permission to stay based on the Type-O visa that I should show up at immigration 45-days before my Permission to Stay expires.  

I assume they recommend the 45-days in case I apply for a one-year extension on my permission to stay for "reason of marriage to a Thai", but I intend to apply for reason of 'retirement'.  Still, I intend to apply for the 1-year extension 45-days prior to my mid-February-2023 permission to stay expires .. ie on the 1st working day of January-2023.

As an aside, I note Phuket immigration was VERY VERY crowded. There was a line up all the way down the side walk, just for people trying to get into the main building (where the information desk is located).  I was fortunate that i did not have to get in that line, but rather I needed to go around to the side of the immigration building to door-103, where there is a waiting area.  That waiting area was full, with 3 dozen people waiting - almost all waiting to have their paperwork checked.    (I also note there were over 1/2 dozen cars in line waiting at the car kiosk for their 90-day reports).

I was lucky in that I was only checking on my passport/visa application status, so I was quickly processed and I was only at Immigration for 20-minutes.  BUT those in line to have paperwork examined, likely had a few hour wait.  Further, those in line (all the way to the side walk) likely had a MUCH longer wait than just a few hours.

The immigration officers were all very polite, where this mass of people waiting to be processed must be very difficult for them.  My 'hats off' to the politeness and professionalism of the Phuket Immigration.

Most of those (but not all) in line were speaking an East European (?) language - quite possibly Russian.   The largest group of 'tourists' coming to Phuket at present are Russians, so it would not surprise me if many Russians are applying to stay in Phuket longer.  

I wish all the applicants in line (for Visas) at the Immigration,  good luck.

Glad it all worked out well for you.

As for immigration being busy !, well you do choose to live in paradise ????.

Here in Ayutthaya it only gets busy when the resident monks or Japanese workers have to do their 90 days report or extension and in general it is quiet.

Next week is my next visit to Immigration to, hopefully, pick up my extension stamp , feels like weeks I have been working on this ☹️