The 800k Baht Requirement For Retirement Visa Extension

Does immigration require proof that the funds making up the 800k baht came from abroad? And does it therefore examine the credit entries in the bank book for indication of this?

For example if I build up the funds by drawing from my overseas bank at atm s in thailand and depositing that cash in my thai bank will these credits/funds be discounted or even questioned when I make the application for visa extension?

I ask because doing it this way will enable me to replenish as necessary and avoid the nuisance of sending SWIFT instructions forms by registered post, the following up by phone as to receipt and action, the delays etc - not to mention bank fees.

On the other hand it would be understandable it if immigration needed to be sure that all funds came from outside and were not generated in thailand through unauthorized employment.

I'd like to be sure of the position in advance and based on someone's actual experience - and not proceed with this practice only to encounter a problem at the time of application.

Good question, but its going to be really hard to get a definitive yes or no from other's experiences. You will be dealing with a specific officer at a specific office.

If you do try it, this is how I would do it:

save all ATM slips

have bank statements available showing the ATM activity

making the deposits coherent, for example, 5 ATM withdrawals totally 50K baht, then a deposit of 50K baht

Edited by Jingthing

...nuisance of sending SWIFT instructions forms by registered post, the following up by phone as to receipt and action, the delays etc - not to mention bank fees.

Can't you just set up a Repetitive Wire Transfer or Standing Order?

Generally, a RWT takes only a phone call to initiate, and Standing Order wires are sent automatically however you set it up.

...nuisance of sending SWIFT instructions forms by registered post, the following up by phone as to receipt and action, the delays etc - not to mention bank fees.

Generally, a RWT takes only a phone call to initiate, and Standing Order wires are sent automatically however you set it up.

These days most banks offer Internet banking, or Telephone banking

which greatly simplifies the matter.

But you can't transfer money between accounts in different countries with internet banking, at least not from UK Banks. As far as I know the only UK bank that allows you to transfer money from a UK account to a foreign bank account by telephone is LloydsTSB (but you have to set this facility up from the UK first). All other UK banks require you to fax information as well.

But you can't transfer money between accounts in different countries with internet banking, at least not from UK Banks. As far as I know the only UK bank that allows you to transfer money from a UK account to a foreign bank account by telephone is LloydsTSB (but you have to set this facility up from the UK first). All other UK banks require you to fax information as well.

Must just apply to UK then. I opened an account at Citibank outside the UK and can do international wires from the web site in a few minutes after to my Thai banks accounts. Funds takes a day to show up in my Thai account and costs nothing.

Must just apply to UK then. I opened an account at Citibank outside the UK and can do international wires from the web site in a few minutes after to my Thai banks accounts. Funds takes a day to show up in my Thai account and costs nothing.

Thats interesting. What currency is your Citibank account held in? Can you stipulate what currency you want the currency transfered in? And do you get the offshore or on shore exchange rate?

Thanks

I have an offshore account with HSBC in Jersey. I can go on line and transfer funds to any country.

I don't know of any UK onshore banks that let you do transfers to another country on the internet but I think you can do it from an offshore bank (someone correct me if I am wrong). You can also do transfers from banks in Singapore to other countries including Thailand (usually with a limit though) though obviously that's not going to help you if you are in the UK.

I seem to have inadvertantly posted my op twice. Apologies.

Can't be done with Nationwide.

In support of my retirement visa, I've never been asked for evidence that the funds came from outside of Thailand. The officer wanted evidence that I had funds, and that the funds had been there for a period of time.

At my last application (first extension of the o visa) nor was I. The question is did the bank codes in my savings book indicate foreign transfers and did the officer look at them? And would every officer do it in the future?

Only the Immigration officer who processes your TM.7 can answer that.

My Uk bank most certainly dfoes not permit internet international transfer. It's even stopped the faxed instructions - which previously it would accept if accompanied by passport copies and follow up security phone calls.

I need to check on the repetitive wire transfer arrangement.

I think it is actually illegal in the UK to transfer money outside of the country via internet. I treid to do it a couple of years ago while i still had a UK bank and i am 95% positive i read somewhere on the banks website. (BTW this does not apply to offshore accounts). The website was for Barclays bank and i'm sorry i can't give more precise information but i try to keep my "pre thailand" days in the "distant memories" part of my head!

Can't be done with Nationwide.

It can indeed be done with Nationwide Bank in the US. If you're from the UK, can't help you...

Thats interesting. What currency is your Citibank account held in? Can you stipulate what currency you want the currency transfered in? And do you get the offshore or on shore exchange rate?

Thanks

The Citi account is in USD and wires can be made in USD or local currency. I wire to Thailand in USD and get onshore rates at Kasikorn. No wire fees from Citi but Kasikorn seems to deduct about 300B based on the days forex rate.

I have an offshore account with HSBC in Jersey. I can go on line and transfer funds to any country.

I too have an offshore acct with HSBC and transferred the 850,000 ready for my first extension mid aug and the officer in Samui yesterday said...not a Thai bank... no good for Thailand.....this may be problem for your extension mama! Funds come from outside of thailand to bank in BKK ....Tor Tor 3 form etc...any experience of this? Must it really be a THAI bank?

I too have an offshore acct with HSBC and transferred the 850,000 ready for my first extension mid aug and the officer in Samui yesterday said...not a Thai bank... no good for Thailand.....this may be problem for your extension mama! Funds come from outside of thailand to bank in BKK ....Tor Tor 3 form etc...any experience of this? Must it really be a THAI bank?

You have me lost on this reply. You state you have transferred 850 K, i assume this is Thai baht, You have transferred the funds to your account in Bangkok. So the money is in a Thai bank. Is it because you have an HSBC account in Thailand, or do they only wish to see the funds, held in banks which are stipulated by the Thai goverment.

You have me lost on this reply. You state you have transferred 850 K, i assume this is Thai baht, You have transferred the funds to your account in Bangkok. So the money is in a Thai bank. Is it because you have an HSBC account in Thailand, or do they only wish to see the funds, held in banks which are stipulated by the Thai goverment.

Yes it was 850K in baht. and you are expressing what I am thinking is true....however the official most definitely was implying that unless you have the money in a 'thai' bank you might have problems....I have today talked to HSBC...who have never heard of this problem before and have many customers using them for bringing in funds for visas. I have also e mailed Sunbelt and await their comments. I think I will have to come up to Bangkok to do the retirment extension and report by post in future....there has to be an easier way! Pity when I live in Koh Phangan!

Not true.

Royal Bank of Scotland offers internet transfers to overseas accounts.

See iBanking.

Yes it was 850K in baht. and you are expressing what I am thinking is true....however the official most definitely was implying that unless you have the money in a 'thai' bank you might have problems....I have today talked to HSBC...who have never heard of this problem before and have many customers using them for bringing in funds for visas. I have also e mailed Sunbelt and await their comments. I think I will have to come up to Bangkok to do the retirment extension and report by post in future....there has to be an easier way! Pity when I live in Koh Phangan!

Just a shot in the dark here, but, have you tried asking a DIFFERENT official?

Seems to me its another case of a badly informed/trained official putting his own interpretation on things

Could be that he was in a "nationalistic" mood, had a bad night the night before, his wife had a GOOD night the night before (without him :D ) the dog bit him...........ANY number of reasons, really

HSBC say they have never heard of the problem, lopburi3 says the bank/funds "has to be located in Thailand"

I just wish these people in officialdom would be better trained, if they want to "play God!!!! :o " Its un-nerving to say the least

Penkoprod

I have had an off-shore account with HSBC Jersey for 37 years and have Internet access but they wont let me do on-line transfers to foreign accounts. Tell me more please.

Karen. A lot of your problems may well be due to Samui Imigration having there own rules on most things.

You may be better off trying elsewhere. Take the train or bus to Bangkok and try again.

Just a shot in the dark here, but, have you tried asking a DIFFERENT official?

Seems to me its another case of a badly informed/trained official putting his own interpretation on things

Could be that he was in a "nationalistic" mood, had a bad night the night before, his wife had a GOOD night the night before (without him :D ) the dog bit him...........ANY number of reasons, really

HSBC say they have never heard of the problem, lopburi3 says the bank/funds "has to be located in Thailand"

I just wish these people in officialdom would be better trained, if they want to "play God!!!! :o " Its un-nerving to say the least

Penkoprod

Tell me about it....I think I have to try another office like you say. The official in question was definitely born in the year of the MONKEY!!!!

Karen. A lot of your problems may well be due to Samui Imigration having there own rules on most things.

You may be better off trying elsewhere. Take the train or bus to Bangkok and try again.

Yes Lite Beer I think you are absolutely right. from what I am reading I should go to Jomtien and make the extension and do my reporting by post I will let you know thanks