Departure card shows future leaving date

Hi,

Basically last time I fly into Bangkok, I was asked how long I will stay, and show ticket which I did for 30 days, so my departure card shows leaving date of 30 days after the enter date. But my visa is for 45 days.

If I try to extend this visa at a Thailand immigration office within 45 days, would the date on the departure card be a problem?

I am not sure if conditions can be attached to a visa or in the system so that the visitor is not eligible for extension within the country?

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, timoti said:

If I try to extend this visa at a Thailand immigration office within 45 days, would the date on the departure card be a problem?

What does your arrival stamp in your passport say. That is the important one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What does your arrival stamp in your passport say. That is the important one.

It shows 22 Oct to 5 Dec 2022 and it says visa class: W30 (45).

Is this ok? There are no custom notes but maybe she put something in the system? Because she took pictures of my return ticket, etc.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He may of entered at a land border crossing. They are still issued at them.

The OP mentions flying into Bangkok though, so something seems off. If the OP entered Thailand at a Bangkok airport after visa exempt was changed to 45 days, there should be no arrival card involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, timoti said:

It shows 22 Oct to 5 Dec 2022 and it says visa class: W30 (45).

Is this ok? There are no custom notes but maybe she put something in the system? Because she took pictures of my return ticket, etc.

Just apply for an extension, if you want to stay longer. If they question this (and I think that's very unlikely), simply tell them that your plans have changed and that you would like to stay longer.

I'd be surprised if you cannot get the extension, but in any case, the worst that can happen is that you won't, so there's no harm in trying. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The OP mentions flying into Bangkok though, so something seems off. If the OP entered Thailand at a Bangkok airport after visa exempt was changed to 45 days, there should be no arrival card involved. 

Ok I see what's going on. I just checked this departure card was put in my passport in my previous visit. But it's exactly 30 days after my last entrance, so it's a coincidence. Because I can see the enter date on this card matches my previous visa, not the current one. It only matches the current one by 30 day exit.

In any case though, I still wonder if immigration can give me problems inside Thailand because she seemed like she entered a lot of info about my 30 day of stay and leaving before stamping me.

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Just apply for an extension, if you want to stay longer. If they question this (and I think that's very unlikely), simply tell them that your plans have changed and that you would like to stay longer.

I'd be surprised if you cannot get the extension, but in any case, the worst that can happen is that you won't, so there's no harm in trying. 

Ok I will do this. For sure if I exit and come back, I will have issues, just hope not face the same issue from within Thailand.

1 minute ago, timoti said:

Ok I will do this. For sure if I exit and come back, I will have issues, just hope not face the same issue from within Thailand.

You had the required outbound ticket when you were asked for it. Your plans subsequently changed while you were holidaying in Thailand, so you don't use that ticket and apply for an extension within the time you are permitted to stay.

You're not doing anything wrong or illegal, people's plans change all the time.

• Like 1

I doubt you will have problems, but I'd lose that old TM6 departure card (they usually remove them when you leave the country).

I'm sure some immigration officers do things like this to put the wind up tourists who they think are staying too long or something. Must give them an ego-trip!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I doubt you will have problems, but I'd lose that old TM6 departure card (they usually remove them when you leave the country).

I'm sure some immigration officers do things like this to put the wind up tourists who they think are staying too long or something. Must give them an ego-trip!

It could be mislaid national pride, resentment, boredom, sheer wilfulness or any number of other reasons.

But I reckon they must get a great kick out of doing it. Imagine being the significant other of one of the types and having to listen to all the war stories at the dinner table? ????

44 minutes ago, timoti said:

Now certain countries are eligible for 45 day visa exempt upon arrival by air I assume.

That's correct but it is only until from 1 October 2022 to 31 March 2023. Perhaps they extend the program if it proves to be successful.

Edited by Lemsta69

3 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You can just change the date on your departure card.

He doesn't need to; it turns out it's from a previous entry and wasn't removed when he departed. Just lose the TM6 and all is good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm looking at my December 2021-issued TM6 now, cannot see a field for departure date. 

Agreed.  I got one in June this year and there's no field to enter departure date.  However the entry date is stamped on the rear of the card so I suspect that's confused matters.

50 minutes ago, treetops said:

Agreed.  I got one in June this year and there's no field to enter departure date.  However the entry date is stamped on the rear of the card so I suspect that's confused matters.

Yeah it's be nice if OP posted some pics!

8 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

How did you get a departure card? They've been done away with, at least until sometime next year.

It was a old TM6 that was still in his passport.

20 hours ago, timoti said:

Ok I see what's going on. I just checked this departure card was put in my passport in my previous visit.

• Like 1