Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I shop a lot at local fresh markets. I  cannot imagine the vendors accepting any thing other than cash.

Also, I have been often been frustrated in supermarkets when the customer ahead of me tries to pay by using some application on a"smart" phone and repeatedly cannot get it to work, while the neighbouring queue uses cash and clears about 3 customers while I wait.

Luck of the draw...  That same person who can’t get their App ready before payment is due is the same person who digs through their bag for their purse / wallet, then takes time digging out the right change....  That same person is the one who walks up to their door and only then starts to look for their house key etc etc... 

I think you get my point - slow people are slow people...   Some are obviously slower to adapt than others. For me, cashless with a QR code, True Pay, Line Pay or Prompt Pay (in Thailand) is quickest way to go - the only issue is working out which vendor uses which payment system. 

Local fresh markets etc... some have a QR code already on a small sign... others are happy to hold up their phone with their QR code...  obviously cash is still used the most. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 9:20 AM, Lacessit said:

I get rather fed up waiting at checkouts while people faff about on their smart?phones, when I get change in about 30 seconds flat for my cash.

The Romans said it first. "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" Who shall guard the guardians?

IMO anyone who trusts any government not to use the data of a cashless society, in ways never anticipated by a participant, is a complete moron.

If it comes in, and the people don't like it, they can vote the gov' out.

Buy gold. Not those great big heavy necklaces, but one gram lumps.

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Everything I need to participate in the economy is on my mobile, the stored vallee card even when battery is a dead. Ride a train bus, shop at a store. Nothing to forget or lose. Smart lock on house, no keys I guess all you need is an Apple Watch really. Losing a wallet can be a nightmare.  Just buy a new mobile. Checkout is a breeze when not waiting behind a geezer pfaffing about with dirty notes and small coins.

I would like to make it a little harder on the crims. Every transaction should be traceable to a registered person, and the required taxes paid. All income some legally accounted for, or confiscated by the government

I don't believe people who commit crimes deserve privacy to cover their ill gotten gains or misdeeds.

I just hope that you - and others who think like you - are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If it comes in, and the people don't like it, they can vote the gov' out.

Buy gold. Not those great big heavy necklaces, but one gram lumps.

I buy my gold and silver in ounces.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:24 AM, bob smith said:

wow. tyranny at work. just like when hotmails mail server detects 'suspicious activity' and automatically suspends your account. no more details given, just the system doing what systems do.

it's frightening when you think about it.

I've been locked down by Facebook twice in the past two weeks. No explanation in either case other than the generic "suspcious activity."

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

A "cashless" society is just a way for the big financial institutions to screw you -- guranteed. Right now in Thailand, you can transfer money for free online but not using an ATM. That' s an enticement of course. Once you get enough people going cashless, just watch the service charges increase. You'll lose on the fees and the exchange rates (if you're using an foreign card). And they can keep increasing those fees because you won't be able to do anything about it.  How much is the charge on a credit card now? 2  or 3 percent? Prepaid debit cards in the US can charge as much as 5 percent.

Only with cash do you know exactly what you're paying.

Try buying a flight ticket using cash 

15 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I have nothing against Thailand going "cashless".

But I fear the way it is done to be a major burden for expats and tourists.

Every day, applications are changing to be only accepted with a Thai ID-Card, and thus unavailable for expats.

Even ATM's are being equipped with an ID-Card reader.
Although not functional at this moment, one can foresee that in the near future they will be only available for Thai citizens who have a Thai ID-Card (like PayPal).

Also, I see that many stores (even bars) use "Thai Pay" for a bill as low as 35 Baht.
But "Thai Pay" is only available for Thai people.

PayPal is already ONLY for Thai people.
Wait and see for the near future ....

Exactly! Tried years ago to buy a SIM card in China. Huge headache! Shop tried to register me like everyone else as required by law, but staff didn't manage, as foreign passports weren't accepted for SIM card registration. I worry, Thailand will go the same way, having to download a dozen apps that more or less work, and registration only with Thai ID. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, but it was a reply to some posters who claimed that it was better to just use cash and not to have a card 

It's no longer possible to get through life with only cash. Last time I tried to rent a car unable to use cash.

For everyday things though, I prefer cash. Last time I went to supermarket held up for 5 minutes by woman messing about with her phone.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The phones are smart, it's the customer that is dumb.

Actually the phone is only as smart as the person using it.  And many of us are of an age that makes such a smart phone rather dumb - still waiting on an AI upgrade for our brains.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Laughable really , the same people probably keep their cash under their mattress at home  

Bought a 450kg Safe some 20 years ago, bolted through the concrete slab of the house, fire resistant for 2 hours, stored yellow metal, jewellery, cash, essential documents etc.

Paid for itself within 8 years considering far lower premiums for "House contents" insurance.

Peace of mind and as safe as money in the bank????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I buy my gold and silver in ounces.

Good for you Lacessit.

But if you only have an ounce and you want to buy a toothbrush; there is then a dilemma. I like silver. Can get a big lump of it for next to nothing. But the same situation arises if you want a small item, like a pair of flip-flops, how do you proceed? Take a saw with you; and a set of scales?

I'm now thinking that a chain might be the way to go. Simply cut a link off, with a pair of nips, when you want to buy something at the market.

I don't own a smart-phone. Mine does simple texts and calls. Don't understand the big flat ones.

Edited by owl sees all

I like cashless payments and often pay cashless.

That being said, I wouldn't allow businesses to refuse accepting cash. Things can and do go wrong with cashless payments, so it's important to keep cash as a fallback and also to accommodate people who simply prefer cash payments.

So I'm going to vote AGAINST. I want cashless payments as an option, but I don't want a cashless society.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, scorecard said:

imagine going to buy a pad thai on the street for 40 baht and having no cash to pay only credit card?? where is the vendor gonna swipe it exactly, lol.

More and more small vendors are displaying their QR code, I see many Thai customers  doing a quick QR scan and pay using their bank app. Totally easy.

I pay as much as posible by bank transfer (most times the details are already in my notebook internet banking) or QR code payment.

But I do keep about 200Baht cash in my wallet just in case cash is 'compulsory'. Rarely used.

I don't leave the house with 200 thb in my wallet.