Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

My father had a nasty habit of keeping an eye on the neighborhood. When people went out he would go peek in their windows or let himself in their houses as he knew where the spare keys were. He wasn't a thief, but would snoop through all rooms, closets and drawers, read mail, look at documents and tax returns, open the fridge, etc.. We could never get him to stop or even take it serious. His excuse was always the same, "It's OK. If they have nothing to hide it shouldn't be a problem."

This, my friend, is brilliant. Well done ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Take a walk through the day markets of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, none of the market stalls have QR codes. Half the time it's foodstuffs sitting on a tarpaulin on the ground.

never been to chiang mai, just central bangkok area and the university town here, probably less technologically advanced in other provinces

23 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Elaborate? 

Everything I need to participate in the economy is on my mobile, the stored vallee card even when battery is a dead. Ride a train bus, shop at a store. Nothing to forget or lose. Smart lock on house, no keys I guess all you need is an Apple Watch really. Losing a wallet can be a nightmare.  Just buy a new mobile. Checkout is a breeze when not waiting behind a geezer pfaffing about with dirty notes and small coins.

I would like to make it a little harder on the crims. Every transaction should be traceable to a registered person, and the required taxes paid. All income some legally accounted for, or confiscated by the government

I don't believe people who commit crimes deserve privacy to cover their ill gotten gains or misdeeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, 300sd said:

Perfect. Himmler put it a different way:

They know you NEVER reveal the entire plan, for people will revolt. Lead them down the path ever so gradually, and you will transform the nation into whatever you desire.

How come you are familiar with Nazi leaders  words and why do you quote Nazis .

Do you think that all World Governments have similar intentions to the Nazis ?

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Mondays should be removed from the calendar.

I'm "retired". Every day is a Friday, or a Monday, or some other day.

Doesn't really matter when one suffers from Alzheimer's....I think?

As long as I have some cash for the local Mom & Pop shops beer, all is good.

Bummer though when I can't recall where my house is.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Everything I need to participate in the economy is on my mobile, the stored vallee card even when battery is a dead. Ride a train bus, shop at a store. Nothing to forget or lose. Smart lock on house, no keys I guess all you need is an Apple Watch really. Losing a wallet can be a nightmare.  Just buy a new mobile. Checkout is a breeze when not waiting behind a geezer pfaffing about with dirty notes and small coins.

I would like to make it a little harder on the crims. Every transaction should be traceable to a registered person, and the required taxes paid. All income some legally accounted for, or confiscated by the government

I don't believe people who commit crimes deserve privacy to cover their ill gotten gains or misdeeds.

Jaysus, i wish i’d never asked now.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Perfect. Himmler put it a different way:

They know you NEVER reveal the entire plan, for people will revolt. Lead them down the path ever so gradually, and you will transform the nation into whatever you desire.

These days it has gone up a notch and moved on to Behavioural Insights and Nudge Techniques. This type of state behaviour is in my opinion unethical; governments should be working on behalf of the people so nudging their behaviour does not exactly fit the job description.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

My father had a nasty habit of keeping an eye on the neighborhood. When people went out he would go peek in their windows or let himself in their houses as he knew where the spare keys were. He wasn't a thief, but would snoop through all rooms, closets and drawers, read mail, look at documents and tax returns, open the fridge, etc.. We could never get him to stop or even take it serious. His excuse was always the same, "It's OK. If they have nothing to hide it shouldn't be a problem."

Your Father was trespassing, that is against the law , did your neighbours report him to the police ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

never been to chiang mai, just central bangkok area and the university town here, probably less technologically advanced in other provinces

Central Bangkok is about as representative of Thailand as a whole, as Vaucluse is of representing Australia.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Checkout is a breeze when I am not waiting behind some person whose memory bank is 0.1% of what their smartphone has.

IMO most successful criminals have already figured out how to get around the roadblocks in the digital world.

I don't have a criminal mind but I know they would  get around it somehow

Used to have a great cash card at 7-11, banned because no Thai ID and "money laundering"

PayPal is so safe now it is impossible to use

40 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

I habe no doubts that You have no problem operating in cashless environment.

But a cashless society consists of people from all walks of life incl. the disadvantaged, the poor, the illiterate and uneducated - particularly in developing nations, which includes Thailand. They do not have the means as you nonchalantly mentioned to purchase smart locks, Apple Watches or just another Smartphone.

No doubt You breeze through the Checkout - as long as there are no glitches in the stores systems, no short-term loss of connections due to all sort of reasons. But I was left waiting countless times behind a poor soul whose cards were rejected or their phone ran out of battery.

So please broaden your horizon and consider all parts of a society affected by going "cashless".

I know all do not have smartphones. Every Thai in theory has an ID number. All these aged and impoverished people, and the disabled need is a fingerprints or facial image, even a voice print.  Maybe a paper QR code. The tech is there just time to roll it out and avoid crime fraud waste and abuse.

3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Safe as houses, what could possibly go wrong!

"In China, for example, Huawei tested a face-scanning system that can trigger an “Uighur alarm,” which detects members of the Uighurs, the oppressed minority group. (Chinese authorities have arbitrarily detained as many as one million Uighurs and other minorities in as many as 400 facilities in Xinjiang, in the largest internment of an ethno-religious minority since WWII.) This system would allow the Chinese government to control and prosecute the Uighurs if they so wished."

"In 2019, at an annual Black Hat hacker convention, hackers breached Apple’s iPhone FaceID authentication system in just two minutes.

In February 2020, Clearview AI — a company that scrapes the internet and syphons billions of online photos for facial-recognition technology use — had its entire client list stolen. This hack has most likely played a crucial role in further hacking attempts at the company and its clients, most of which being law enforcement agencies and banks.

In 2020, a McAfee cybersecurity team demonstrated a fault in facial-recognition systems. They used a specially manipulated photo to trick a system similar to one used at airports for passport identification via facial recognition into accepting that the individual on the passport was the same as the one recorded by the system camera. This would enable a person on a no-fly list, for example, to board the airplane.

In March 2021, a criminal group used photos bought from the online black market to dupe a government-run Chinese site, stealing $76.2 million in the process."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/facial-recognition-technology-is-one-of-the-biggest-threats-to-our-privacy-11640623526

Paranoia. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Ah. Another poster who speaks on behalf of the majority (no-one, at least not and everyone) - all in 2 sentences.

Get yourself off to some local villages, especially at any of the markets and you will see the filthy lucre in abundance.

Good luck with your bank transfer there.????????

Figurative speech, not literal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I shop a lot at local fresh markets. I  cannot imagine the vendors accepting any thing other than cash.

Also, I have been often been frustrated in supermarkets when the customer ahead of me tries to pay by using some application on a"smart" phone and repeatedly cannot get it to work, while the neighbouring queue uses cash and clears about 3 customers while I wait.

The phones are smart, it's the customer that is dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1