Photos for marriage visa extension

(Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any information regarding the photo requirement for Chaeng Watthana)

I'm about to go get 1 year visa extension for my non-immigrant O visa based on marriage. I have printed out the following photos (one photo per 1 A4 sheet):

• Selfie of me and my wife standing in our bedroom 
  • Selfie of me and my wife standing in our living room
  • Selfie of me and my wife standing in front of our condo door with the room number visible
  • Selfie of me and my wife standing in front of the sign that has the name of our condo building on it (I couldn't find the house number)

Are these going to be sufficient? I've heard about some immigration offices not liking selfies. Last year when I did my visa extension all but one picture (the outside condo picture) where selfies as well.

Maybe I shouldn't respond to this since it relates to CW Immigration but WTH; since it's in the 'Thai Visas .. ' forum rather than BKK, I will  .....

Did my marriage extension at Khon Kaen last week. This was our 13th.

Photos -  3 to an A4 sheet - showed the two of us:-

- at front gate with house address plaque clearly visible,

- in our living room,

-at the front of the house,

- sitting on our electric samlor with 3 of our dogs,

- at a family meal with wife's sons, their wives and our grandchildren,

- with my 68th. birthday cake,

- they had more but 6 was enough.

NB no bedroom photo and I've NEVER offered such a photo for any of my extensions.

My philosophy has always been to give them photos that show we're together as a couple during the whole year, not just a couple of photos from one day which prove (IMO) very little.

In 13 years, that type of photo has been accepted without question by KK Immigration, who are generally excellent, and by the approving office in Korat. We've never had a problem.

Your office might have VERY different and more specific requirements.

• Like 2

I did 1yr extension based on marriage in 2020 and i remember i printed 3x A4 colored photos showing Me & wife plus childrens in front of the house (house number must show), one inside the house (again, with family), and another inside the house with family and neighbours (immigration officers made a visit to interview 1-2 neighbours) around 3 weeks after i submit all documents.

I switched from marriage to retirement requirements for my long-stay extension, but when I did do the one based on marriage, I was required to give the following photos with my wife and me:

1. Standing in front of our house
  2. Sitting in our kitchen
  3. Sitting in our living room
  4. Sitting on our bed

Once, for #4, I had a photo taken of us sitting on our bed, back-to-back, with arms crossed, and a scowl on our faces. They rejected that one. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

My philosophy has always been to give them photos that show we're together as a couple during the whole year, not just a couple of photos from one day which prove (IMO) very little.

Bit academic what your philosophy is, it all depends on the office and the staff at that point in time .

Last year we gave them the same 4 photos we have used for several years previously, they got rejected on the basis it should be new photos every year. Had to shoot home for a reshoot. When they did the home visit they just questioned the neighbours, no photos or witnesses as on some previous visits.

Under consideration at the moment and this year we gave them the 4 new photos as specified last time. When they did the home visit only one guy turned up, not the normal 3. He had brought a tripod with him and all he did was take photos that included himself, 2 at the gate, 2 in front of the house, 2 in the lounge and 2 in the bedroom. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

CW didn't like selfies when I applied. I got the extension ok with selfie pics but was told not to do selfies in the future.

Hmm makes me think I should get at least a few photos that aren't selfies. Need to get a tripod though. I don't really know any of the neighbors around me. 

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

I switched from marriage to retirement requirements for my long-stay extension, but when I did do the one based on marriage, I was required to give the following photos with my wife and me:

1. Standing in front of our house
  2. Sitting in our kitchen
  3. Sitting in our living room
  4. Sitting on our bed

Once, for #4, I had a photo taken of us sitting on our bed, back-to-back, with arms crossed, and a scowl on our faces. They rejected that one. ????

I too was told photos at Jomtien must include one of us sitting on the bed, which I've no objection to as it saves my legs. They also take one with our neighbour when they visit the house.

• Like 2

A resident of Thailand since 2006. 

Since stopped working and still under 50, I ve done so far 6 non O Extension Thai wife.

My pictures, new ones every year as follows 

Photos -  2 to an A4 sheet -

showed the two of us:

- at front gate with house address    clearly visible, using a tripod

- in our living room, using a tripod

- in the kitchen, selfie 

- in the bathroom, selfie

- sitting on the bed, using a tripod

And 

- House picture without us, using a phone camera

6 pictures in total, they always ask if our photos are new and haven't been used previously. 

This is Bkk Changwatanna immigration, NEVER had a problem with the pictures OR a house visit perhaps cause my wife is 2 years older than me ????????

Who knows......!! 

Hope this helps

Edited by walailak

28 minutes ago, walailak said:

A resident of Thailand since 2006. 

Since stopped working and still under 50, I ve done so far 6 non O Extension Thai wife.

My pictures, new ones every year as follows 

Photos -  2 to an A4 sheet -

showed the two of us:

- at front gate with house address    clearly visible, using a tripod

- in our living room, using a tripod

- in the kitchen, selfie 

- in the bathroom, selfie

- sitting on the bed, using a tripod

And 

- House picture without us, using a phone camera

6 pictures in total, they always ask if our photos are new and haven't been used previously. 

This is Bkk Changwatanna immigration, NEVER had a problem with the pictures OR a house visit perhaps cause my wife is 2 years older than me ????????

Who knows......!! 

Hope this helps

And you seem comfortable with all of those requirements? 

Amazing. 

Personally wouldn't even some official enter my home let alone pictures and witnesses (neighbours).

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And you seem comfortable with all of those requirements? 

Amazing. 

Personally wouldn't even some official enter my home let alone pictures and witnesses (neighbours).

No visits so far as I mentioned so no neighbours etc.. 

Neighbours all know me, same place for 16 years, 

No choice, still 47 years old...... 

It is ridiculous that after so many years here I still got to go all that sh... every year,

unlike if a Thai goes to my country after 3-5 years they get permanent residency then citizenship that comes with all the benefits etc....especially and easier if they are married to a local,

but this is a discussion for another topic ????

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Bit academic what your philosophy is, it all depends on the office and the staff at that point in time .

But it WORKS for KK office at this time and for the past 13 years. So I'll continue, thank you very much.

We've never been sent home to get new pictures because we've been daft enough to use the same ones year after year.

For CW Immigration Office / Extension of Stay based on mariage:

2 A4 pages (with 2 photos on each), home printed, Digital Camera with tripod

My wife, our kid and me (+ our goldfish and english cocker spaniel for one photo!)

Each photo taken with a different set of clothes for everyone

Photos taken:

1 near the piano 

1 on the sofa

1 in the dining room

1 outside with the house number

So far, never had problem! YMMV

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm constantly amazed that married farang put up with this nonsense.

I can understand jumping through these ridiculous hoops if working or under 50.

Or cannot afford to maintain money in the bank. 

If I was married (in over 50) I would do extensions based on retirement

As for home visit and enter house.

Are you kidding. 

Dr. Jack54,

Yes! Extending your stay based on retirement is MUCH EASIER than based on marriage. Not only do they want photos, but also I'd say the paperwork is at least twice and maybe three times the amount needed for an extension based on retirement.

But, the "Are you kidding" remark above, I'd say that you'd better do whatever Immigrations asks for or suffer the consequences, which can't be good. It's like getting your dentist mad at you while he's working on your teeth! ????

21 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Dr. Jack54,

I'd say that you'd better do whatever Immigrations asks for or suffer the consequences, which can't be good.

And I say those that bow to any command cus they're bricking it that cause all the problems at immigration. 

21 hours ago, MartinL said:

But it WORKS for KK office at this time and for the past 13 years. So I'll continue, thank you very much.

We've never been sent home to get new pictures because we've been daft enough to use the same ones year after year.

If things work year after year, why not continue.

If things change year after year, you have to change also if you want the stamp.

When I did my second marriage extension they handed the photos back saying not required, photos would be taken during the home visit. That time I changed to retirement, still had the home visit.

Nice to hear there are some offices reasonably consistent, doesn't happen very often.

17 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

And I say those that bow to any command cus they're bricking it that cause all the problems at immigration. 

And I say that those who don't respect the requests of Thai Immigrations or any of the other Thai authorities should not be in Thailand. It's their country, after all -- not ours. ????

Update: I went to CW yesterday and the visa extension went without a hitch. The IO accepted the selfies. She didn't look too happy with the photo in the living room (the room was barely visible in the background) but she accepted it anyway. 

Anyway, next year I'm getting a tripod just to be on the safe side. 

Thanks everyone for the advise here ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 3:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

I'm constantly amazed that married farang put up with this nonsense.

I can understand jumping through these ridiculous hoops if working or under 50.

Or cannot afford to maintain money in the bank. 

Are you kidding. 

And the particularly galling thing is that it is only foreign men married to Thai women who are subject to such treatment. Foreign women married to Thai men are, on the other hand, cheerfully granted marriage extensions by Immigration with few (if any) questions asked.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And the particularly galling thing is that it is only foreign men married to Thai women who are subject to such treatment. Foreign women married to Thai men are, on the other hand, cheerfully granted marriage extensions by Immigration with few (if any) questions asked.

A farang woman married to a Thai male, even though she works as a school teacher, does not have to show 400,000 Baht for her visa/extension. Ridiculous. Totally wrong. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 7:21 AM, billsmart said:

It's their country, after all -- not ours. 

So that makes it okay to hiss farang about? What happened to 'all born equal'? May be it is their country but that doesn't mean I can't live here. I'm sure we don't make Thais in our country show 800,000 every year at immigration.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

Are you kidding

Then never live in Trat Province, Retirement requires 4 photos + home visit. Marriage 6 photos, photo copies/selfies not allowed. All documents same day, so using a BKBank is a no no.