If you are near 80 or over

georgegeorgia

2 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Sex with a little assistance from the pharmacy. Just had the best sex in my life with a potential number 2 wife….two crazy hours with a 49 year old. Figure I’ll live to 90, maybe longer if the number 2 happens. Life is fun and a bit crazy.

Why was todays sex better than your normal sex ?

On 11/25/2022 at 10:40 PM, stoner said:

stem cell, hgh and hrt. they are starting to show some very positive results. iv'e had 6 broken ankles and seems some of these things may help me actually recover and heal the damage i have done. 

are you a horse?

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

I look forward to each day as have  have a positive out look on life 

No point in worrying 

As one friend says to me years ago 

If you worry all the time do some for me  as well no point in both of us getting ulcers ????

Finally. A number of members have probably been waiting for #5 in the Principles of ANF Poster Longevity Science. (It's all been well-researched over the years by our ace Longevity Experts.)

5.  Stress

Dieting or exercising causes stress. Stress means suffering and premature death.

A pillar of ANF Poster Longevity Science and one of our most disingenuous. 'Nuff said!

‘Course in real studies, stress really refers to chronic severe work/relationship stress, not foregoing an ice cream cone or lifting a dumbbell. For example,

Work stress and risk of death in men and women with and without cardiometabolic disease: a multicohort study.

And a healthier diet and exercise, meditation perhaps, are actually recommended for reducing stress. WOT??? Good thing our members never suffer any relationship stress with their Thai women. In fact, Thai wives/girlfriends and their families are just the greatest stress reducers, no?

However, we gon’ conveniently pretend the science means the exact opposite, heh. Ergo, simply avoid the invented stress of something we’re too lazy to try--and do something fun instead! Simple, innit?

For proof, look no further than fun related in the Health forum.

There members are constantly posting about what fun they’re having clawing after docs, hospitals, meds, and surgeries, sitting in waiting rooms, worrying about payment and insurance, recovering, fighting the effects of chronic disease, and suffering pain and disability. Whee! That ain’t no stress! And thank god it’s not boring.

Boredom, you see, is one of our most dreadful kinds of stress; the fun and excitement in our lives continue non-stop without interruption. We're all just havin' so much fun that we just ain’t ever gon’ believe anyone could learn to replace the love of an ice cream cone with love of something healthier. We've never tried it, of course, but we know.

But anyway, as noted, we’re loving our docs and meds and carrying around big pregnant bellies. And more! In the Health forum our members all affirm that financially helping out all the impoverished docs, pharmacies, and hospitals is also extremely relaxing and satisfying. One can never be bored studying over a long itemized hospital bill! This, although all Posters confess themselves ready to Depart at just any time, having already enjoyed a happy and exciting life with their beer, pies, pastries, recliner and TV. Who needs both their legs or eyesight anyway? Long as you don’t diet & exercise, you’re happy.

Patients needs to be educated on the fact that stress is literally a willpower deficiency through involuntary blood flow & hormonal changes and if they don’t have defenses in place to defend their lifestyle, they will likely regress to what’s easy and available.

--https://twitter.com/DoctorTro/status/1415481336610033667

Edited by BigStar

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

All?

OK, how about a high percentage????? Look around. Very few, even in this selective age-related thread, are aiming for a long life. The ideal here is almost always a short but happy life. Ideally, it should end during a bonk, with a smile on one's face. Haven't seen much evidence for the supposed smile, but such is rationalization.

The main reason lies in #1 of the mighty Principles of ANF Poster Longevity Science:

1.  Sour Grapes, or the Bedsit Paradigm

Live longer, spend more years miserable in the bedsit

Ironically, it helps ensure the earlier onset of chronic disease, a longer period of suffering with chronic disease in proportion to total lifespan, an earlier admission to the nursing home, and again quite possibly a longer period of time there in proportion to total lifespan.????

Besides this, we have the overlapping What, Me Worry? Principles to absolve responsibility. I dunno why Believers don't let the Voodoo work rather than trying to thwart it through dependence on the medical and pharmaceutical industries. Seems contradictory, don't it?

I: Genes

It’s all me genes. Git nekkid!

II: Fate

It’s all me fate. Might be hit by a lorry tomorrow. Git nekkid!

III: The French Salute

Woe is me; g'bye cruel world.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:15 AM, PeachCH said:

I'm 80. Eat supplements, eat healthy food, stopped smoking and drinking alcohol. 

Go sauna every second day. 

Still working in share trading. 

But I hate to get older. Fortunately my wife is 42 years younger and don't care about my age at all. 

Resume : To get old sucks! 

Your wife is 38?

Must be true love.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No imagination?

Sounds like he cheated on his Wife and had sex with someone different and it was not the usual kind of dull sex people have with their long term partners and he wanted to tell the forum about it , but he could at least go into some detail and explain why his sex was so good that time .

12 hours ago, RafPinto said:
On 11/25/2022 at 6:15 PM, PeachCH said:

'm 80. Eat supplements, eat healthy food, stopped smoking and drinking alcohol. 

But I hate to get older. Fortunately my wife is 42 years younger and don't care about my age.

Your wife is 38?

Must be true love.

Cue laugh response.  This has to be funny because we all know that a 38 yr old cannot possibly love an 80 yr. old.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sounds like he cheated on his Wife and had sex with someone different and it was not the usual kind of dull sex people have with their long term partners and he wanted to tell the forum about it , but he could at least go into some detail and explain why his sex was so good that time .

I have no desire to know the details of other people's sex lives.

18 hours ago, BigStar said:
19 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

How about everybody but me?

That'll do. Congrats!

Haven't thought about this one for a long time but I knew I'd heard that "BigStar" thing somewhere before:

(from the QuickDraw McGraw cartoon theme song about 1960)

Yipee yi-o ki-a,
Galloping all the way
Great big star on his chest.
Outdraws all of the rest.
Fastest gun in the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Draw_McGraw

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Haven't thought about this one for a long time but I knew I'd heard that "BigStar" thing somewhere before:

(from the QuickDraw McGraw cartoon theme song about 1960)

Yipee yi-o ki-a,
Galloping all the way
Great big star on his chest.
Outdraws all of the rest.
Fastest gun in the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Draw_McGraw

When you got nothing else, work on the member's username or avatar.

Now you may wish to broaden your musical horizon by listening to genres other than your old cartoon themes, though you may also still be into Lawrence Welk. Quite a lot of good stuff was written in later years for more mature, hip audiences.

Big Star created a "seminal body of work that never stopped inspiring succeeding generations", in the words of Rolling Stone,[1] as the "quintessential American power pop band", and "one of the most mythic and influential cult acts in all of rock & roll".[2] Three of Big Star's studio albums are included in the Rolling Stone's list of the Top 500 Albums of All-Time.

--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Star

I've always wondered whether Michael Steele's cover of "September Gurls" in The Bangles meant she's bi. She ain't tellin'.

I dunno QuickDraw McGraw, was never a big fan of cartoons except as little kid of course. Later I did watch Rocky & Bullwinkle, a bit of The Jetsons when it happened to come on while my girlfriend was getting ready for a date, some Flintstones. Oh, a bit of Dudley Do-Right. Fortunate, as I'm able to recognize and call out our Dudley Do-Rights on the forum.

Back on topic, today P. D. Mangan tweeted out:

Primary aging: the unavoidable process that leads to higher risk of death as time passes.

Secondary aging: the completely avoidable process caused by eating garbage food, being sedentary, and body fat gain that leads to dying before your time.

And I see Peter Attia's coming out with a new book on March 28:

Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity: 9780593236598: Attia MD, Peter,  Gifford, Bill: Books - Amazon.com

Which I'll take a look at if it's to be found somewhere at a significant discount.

Edited by BigStar

One can make plans after 80 if one started making those plans at 30. Get medical insurance at a young age. Save some money.  Most important, exercise, eat right, and don't smoke.

The Billionaire Boomers have been funding all sorts of longevity research in the last few years. Apparently they want to live long enough to enjoy much of their wealth. Occasionally they fund a doctor or researcher who 'goal seeks' and produces 'research' that fails to pass Peer Review. A few years ago, the Longevity Guru was Dr David Sinclair, who recommended intermittent fasting, exercise, and taking supplements such as resveratrol, NMN, Metformin, and Rapamycin. Some of that has been challenged, even discredited. Sinclair's reputation is fading.

For example, the most recent research finds no benefit to non-Type II diabetics taking Metformin. It does benefit the diabetics, but there is no statistical data backing up any benefit to non-diabetics. Intermittent fasting, if it has benefit, comes from overall calorie reduction---and thus less chance of developing Type II diabetes---than what its original benefit was thought to be (autophagy---the body's removal of senescent cells).

There was some research suggesting a lower protein diet might help because proteins land amino acids ike BCAAs, specifically leucine, turn on mTOR. Keeping mTOR turned off, at least sometimes, seems to slow cell aging. The drug rapamycin, which comes from the soil on Easter Island, and was used primarily to limit organ rejection in transplant patients, turns off or limits mTOR (whose initials stand for mammalian target of rapamycin) is a protein kinase that regulates mitochondrial activity). It is believed that excess activity of mTOR leads to production of too many free radicals that harm mitochondrial proteins, limit autophagy, and enhance cell aging. There is some dispute as to whether protein intake is a negative, since during sleep, when no food is consumed, that may limit mTOR as much as required. If mTOR is turned on too much, that is a negative, but if turned off too much, cells die. Thus, there is a middle ground. Too little protein, however, prohibits muscle maintenance, and weakness is a contributor to all cause mortality. Thus the 'limit protein' mantra of Sinclair and Dr Valter Longo is taking a back seat, removing the "correlation=causation"  conclusion those two reached.

New research suggests older people (over age 40) consume extra---even excessive protein---so that sarcopenia, the atrophy and deterioration of muscles with aging, is limited.

A few doctors and researchers have moved into the forefront of longevity research because they are more consistent in following the data, rather than hyping things for personal gain (as David Sinclair seems to do). Don Layman, Peter Attia and Andrew Huberman are now ascendant in the longevity field.

Their advice: Exercise, diet and sleep. No surprise there. More specifically, exercise should involve resistance training. As noted, weakness is a major factor in all cause mortality, so working with weights is a plus. Weight training also helps strengthen bones, aids in cognition due to increased blood flow, and when using heavy weights (heavy relative to one's strength level), the body produces more testosterone and HGH, even in older people. Cardio is good, but weight training has more benefits.

Peter Attia and Don Layman recommend older people consume up to 2g/kg body weight of protein per day, as the body's ability to process and utilize protein declines after about age 25. Research has shown that by giving the body more protein, more can be utilized by older people. The protein should also not just be plant based, because the body requires leucine to turn on mTOR and gain its benefits related to energy production.

Supplements have some use, but exercise, diet and sleep are key. Supplements have maybe a 5% benefit, while the previous three are 95% of what helps maintain one's healthspan. The supplements that show promise are creatine monohydrate (cell metabolism and possible cognition), and collagen peptides (maintain tendon and ligament strength, plus slow wrinkling). One can add D3 and K2 (in MK7 form), magnesium (minimizes muscle cramping and aids in about 200 metabolic processes), hyaluronic acid (tendons and ligaments), Ashwaganda (reduces cortisol, the stress hormone, and may enhance cognitive function), and a combination of N-acetyl-cysteine and glycine (which enhances glutathione production, increasing energy levels and helping detoxify the liver).

Edited by Walker88
  • Love It 1

Good post, @Walker88, spot on.

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

For example, the most recent research finds no benefit to non-Type II diabetics taking Metformin. It does benefit the diabetics, but there is no statistical data backing up any benefit to non-diabetics.

Fairly recent study:

Caloric restriction extends life span mostly by reducing excess mortality due to obesity.

•Most pharmacologic interventions to slow aging, including resveratrol, rapamycin, NAD + and metformin, also cause weight loss.
•Dietary restriction and weight loss is beneficial only for obese subjects.
•Investigating mechanisms of caloric restriction will not help prevent or slow aging in healthy weight humans.

--Rodent diet aids and the fallacy of caloric restriction

Many do believe that fasting may have benefits beyond those of mere weight loss.

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Don Layman, Peter Attia and Andrew Huberman are now ascendant in the longevity field.

Mikhail V. Blagosklonny, true researcher, gets buzz. I read his Twitter feed sometimes. Big on rapamycin.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

When you were 38 years old, did you fall in love with an 80 year old woman ?

No, but when I was about 38, I had a  date  with a woman also about 38 who stood me up in favor of an 80 year old man.  And no one laughed.  Even when she married him.  His name was Cary Grant.  

Unfair perhaps, but we live in a patriarchal culture which makes some elder men more desirable than elder women. 

I am no Cary Grant, not even an Archie Leach, but none of my friends or family have been anything but entirely supportive of my relationship with my beautiful GF 41 years my junior.

So why the laughter?  Why do we assume that a 38 and 80 yr old can't be real?  Thais don't assume that.  My GF's parents, siblings, and friends don't assume that.  

My point was that we also live in an ageist culture: one which puts undue pressure on age as identity.

At 80+ I'm full of the joys of spring. Just one problem, spring was a long time ago.

I've been in hospital a couple of times where they wanted to take my leg off, but I told them I had had it a long time and I would rather keep it thank you.

And of course I've just beaten Covid, so the devil can take a hike.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cheer up!

Life expectancy for 80 year old UK male:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/articles/lifeexpectancycalculator/2019-06-07

93 years  1 in 4 chance

96 years 1 in 10 chance

100 years  2.7% chance

But really it's not about quantity it's about quality - so if you feel OK enjoy it whilst you can!

On 11/30/2022 at 8:19 PM, Mansell said:

wife 32 years younger, two sons. Really enjoy life and always have done. Sex with a little assistance from the pharmacy. Just had the best sex in my life with a potential number 2 wife….two crazy hours with a 49 year old. Figure I’ll live to 90, maybe longer if the number 2 happens.

Recent mouse study suggests you may be on to something. I figure, cover all the bases. ????

image.png.113fb95fc34e33ee9fad0d0ca45119d3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kokopelli said:

Mickey Mouse is now 94  years old if that is any indication.

Don't recall his hanging out with young mice. No doubt you do. But

*ate right
*exercised
*maintained normal body weight
*didn't smoke
*didn't drink

*socialized

which will get most normal people to their 90s anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Here, my GF does not care how old I look. She is still quite happy to sleep with me, and she has a vested interest in keeping me alive for as long as possible.

Same here, but let me parse this a bit:  My GF isn't oblivious to looks or unconcerned.  She will respond to a haircut or particular piece of clothing with a complement "you look good."  She'll approvingly say I look thin or "skinny."  She says she likes my white hair.  She thanks me for sex, but keeps to her own schedule (not everyday).  She has a vested interest in keeping me alive, but she knows I'll care for her alive or dead.  And I'm sure (as you must be) that her interest in my health is emotional, not financial.

Further, when she mentions age, it is her age not mine.  As she enters her 40s, she says she is getting old.  When I asked if a particular person was older than me, she said, "I don't now.  How old are you?

• Like 1