Lady Susan Hussey quits over remarks to charity boss Ngozi Fulani

Scott

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's racist because the woke say so.

Actually william said it...

''A spokesperson for the Prince of Wales, who is Lady Hussey’s godson, said the comments were unacceptable and that “racism has no place in our society”.''

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/30/buckingham-palace-aide-resigns-black-guest-traumatised-by-repeated-questioning

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Did you actually read the transcript? It wasn't a misused word we are discussing. She was massively offensive in her relentless probing of a British born woman, seemingly determined to to force the woman to say that she is not anglo-saxon.

Nonsense. 

She acknowledged she was born in Britain but wanted to know where her ancestors were from. A normal question.

If she had said "I wish you Blacks had never come to Britain" then you may have a point on the racism. But she was enquiring where her family originated from before they came to Britain. The way she asked was clumsy, especially if you are looking for offense in every word that is uttered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He's bowing to the Woke mob. 

A bit weak IMO, but somewhat understandable given the situation with Harry and Harry's wife. If you asked him what he thought privately I am sure you would get a different, more measured response.

No he's acknowledging the truth.

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Racism is unacceptable, period, however what she said was not racist?

Definition of racism: belief that certain races of people are by birth and nature superior to others 2 : discrimination or hatred based on race

The palace admitted it was racist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The palace admitted it was racist.

Not arguing with you about what the Palace said, all I am saying is I can't see what she said was racist, as per what racism is defined as!

The Palace has to very careful what they do and say after the incident with Meghan's kid?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, James105 said:

She was clearly trying to establish what her family heritage was, albeit didn't use the correct words, but then she is 83.  Joe Biden is younger and really struggles forming coherent sentences but is typically forgiven.   The "offended" person knew what she was trying to ask (unless she is just plain stupid) and could have just said "I was born in Britain but my family heritage is...", but being a professional race baiter saw opportunity to shout racism.   In modern Britain, the demand for racism far outstrips the supply so professional race baiters need to create these scenarios to claim offence.    

The charity the "offended" person works for supports "African and Caribbean heritage" women, so one would assume that should any women require need of her services, one of the first questions that would need to be asked is "where are you from" or "what is your family heritage" since that is what the charity supports, kind of what she was being asked herself.   

All sides involved have acknowledged the conversation was racist...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Not arguing with you about what the Palace said, all I am saying is I can't see what she said was racist, as per what racism is defined as!

The Palace has to very careful what they do and say after the incident with Meghan's kid?

Who's definition are you using? I suspect that there are many definitions available. Here is the first sentence of the Wikipedia article on racism:

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to inherited attributes and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.[1][2][3] 

It goes on to say, specifically in regards to ethnicity: 

. "Ethnicity" is often used in a sense close to one traditionally attributed to "race", the division of human groups based on qualities assumed to be essential or innate to the group (e.g. shared ancestry or shared behavior). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nikmar said:

Prince Philip said far worse - he was, still is, considered "humourous". I would say it all depends on the amount of malice attached to the statements / question. 

No, it depends on whether he could be fired or the public is stuck with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Who's definition are you using? I suspect that there are many definitions available. Here is the first sentence of the Wikipedia article on racism:

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to inherited attributes and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.[1][2][3] 

It goes on to say, specifically in regards to ethnicity: 

. "Ethnicity" is often used in a sense close to one traditionally attributed to "race", the division of human groups based on qualities assumed to be essential or innate to the group (e.g. shared ancestry or shared behavior). 

I was using Merriam Webster's dictionary. They are all pretty much the same?

The point I was making was that asking or inquiring about someones heritage is not racist!

"Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia, created and edited by volunteers around the world and hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation."

3 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I was using Merriam Webster's dictionary. They are all pretty much the same?

The point I was making was that asking or inquiring about someones heritage is not racist!

"Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia, created and edited by volunteers around the world and hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation."

She didn't, try to stick to her actual words.

• Like 1