Lady Susan Hussey quits over remarks to charity boss Ngozi Fulani

Scott

Answer: I was born in Kilburn and my parents are/were from Barbados. 

There then follows a conversation about how many times Lady Susan has been to Barbados and how much she likes it.

But that was too easy.

• Like 2

As the woman looks African and had her hair in a vaguely African style it was a fair question, another one looking for offence. When I get asked i sometimes say I come from my house.. ????

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The UK really is a country that not only hates but despises it’s own indigenous people,this thinking is championed by the BBC primarily but many other organisations too the former vile institution needs defunding a.s.a.p.

Racism is now a multi-Billion Dollar/Pound Sterling industry just look at BLM the owner has a massive multi-Million Dollar property empire just sickening!

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, one suspects that a certain person is trying to drum up some of the necessaries for their "charity" by making accusations against someone unlikely to take that certain person to court for libel.

I don't think that is what is happening at all, but then I'm not trying to explain away a racist incident.

23 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

For all of you trying desperately to defend this woman, try reading the conversation again and remember Ngozi Fulani is born and bread in Hackney and has an East London accent. 

SH: No, what part of Africa are YOU from?

Me: I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, UK

SH: NO, but what Nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Sounds like it was genuine misunderstanding , don't think she was intentionally being rude

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I did say "some places in the U.K" and I did post the links yesterday in another thread to show that  , once again you are wrong about saying I am wrong . 

(Could you look in the other thread to save me posting the links again)

From the same article 'Other local authorities with less than half of people identifying as white were: Slough, Leicester and Luton. The ONS has issued a statement criticising "misleading statistical claims" that white people are now a minority in London and Manchester'.

We can all cherry pick a narrative to back up our own bias and we can shield it with fluffy language such as "some places in the U.K" but we know what the inferance is and it's simply not true.  

• Like 1

Just now, johnnybangkok said:

From the same article 'Other local authorities with less than half of people identifying as white were: Slough, Leicester and Luton. The ONS has issued a statement criticising "misleading statistical claims" that white people are now a minority in London and Manchester'.

We can all cherry pick a narrative to back up our own bias and we can shield it with fluffy language such as "some places in the U.K" but we know what the inferance is and it's simply not true.  

Take it to the other thread and reply there 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Not quite sure I read that conversation the same way you do.

I'm an American Hispanic man, and over the years I've been asked similar questions, but in a different way.

Q. You're hispanic?

A. Yep

Q. Where you from?

A. California

Q. Family from there?

A. Well parents Yes, Grandparents from Guadalajara.

Q. Oh cool, still got family there?

A. Yep

Thats how what I would consider a normal conversation inquiring about origins.

I work with a native American, and we had a similar conversation with a former co-worker, where she asked us both the straight out question, 'what are you'

My answer was "in your head your worst nightmare"

This thread isn't about you though 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sounds like it was genuine misunderstanding , don't think she was intentionally being rude

Perhaps, but that's one massive foot-in-mouth blunder, especially when the Royals have been consistently accused of racism, colonialism and being out of touch from the man on the street (or have we all forgotten Prince Philip?).

Her resignation is appropriate and justified much in the same way as a CEO refusing to bow to Japanese investors or insulting Chinese suppliers would also have to fall on his sword (pun intended). We are all culpable for our actions, but some more than others.

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

This thread isn't about you though 

Why shouldn't it be about his own personal experience? God we've heard enough about yours.

Unlike many of us, he can probably relate better as he has had this happen to him. I would suggest he has more accurate insight than most commenting here, to include myself.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

White people are now in a minority in some places in the U.K , so that should mean that they are allowed to be racist now and have the benefits of being from a minority group 

I am not white or black.  I have been asked the exact question many times all over the world.  It was a mixed bag of prejudice and ignorance.  I have been asked this question most in LOS.  Many cannot believe how I can be an American Citizen.  I then ask Thai people who is Tiger Woods?  Most do know who he is.  

Similar thing happened to me recently .

I had arranged to meet a few different people and one of them was flying over from Nigeria a few days beforehand .  I then met them at different times and a Black person showed up and I was asking how Nigeria was and how She liked the U.K and how long is she staying for and when she planned to go back to Nigeria .

She wasn't very talkative or responsive .

After a few hours she said quietly " I have no idea what Nigeria is like , I was born in Ireland and I am from Ireland"

She glared at me and added "We want our six Counties back as well"

I apologised  profusely 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

On to victim blaming already.

….

How about we stick with blaming the person who caused the racist offense in the first pace.

One person took umbrage when no malice or offence was intended.

One person lost their job.

Pick your victim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Why shouldn't it be about his own personal experience? God we've heard enough about yours.

Unlike many of us, he can probably relate better as he has had this happen to him. I would suggest he has more accurate insight than most commenting here, to include myself.

Because his own personal experience and circumstances  are different to the story in this thread .

This isn't about a casual friendly conversation between friends . 

This story is about a Woman working at a Palace and speaking to guests and their Country off origin may have been of importance 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Similar thing happened to me recently .

I had arranged to meet a few different people and one of them was flying over from Nigeria a few days beforehand .  I then met them at different times and a Black person showed up and I was asking how Nigeria was and how She liked the U.K and how long is she staying for and when she planned to go back to Nigeria .

She wasn't very talkative or responsive .

After a few hours she said quietly " I have no idea what Nigeria is like , I was born in Ireland and I am from Ireland"

She glared at me and added "We want our six Counties back as well"

I apologised  profusely 

I take it the little tell-tell signs such as her BROAD Irish accent escaped you?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Because his own personal experience and circumstances  are different to the story in this thread .

This isn't about a casual friendly conversation between friends . 

This story is about a Woman working at a Palace and speaking to guests and their Country off origin may have been of importance 

His point (which I thought was VERY obvious) is there is a right way and a wrong way to ask about someone's ethnicity. Lady SH's 'method' if not down-right racist was VERY clumsy and in the end offensive to the recipient (as the repurcussions have shown).  

• Like 2