Debt Collectors Attack Hospitalised Patient, Steal His Car 

webfact

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

is that a real offence in Thailand, or are you just making it up, robbery seems to fit the facts for me, of just plain theft

How about simple assault.  The big problem is what actually happened

What's roughing him up and where was hospital security or staff if it was that violent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim told police that he had borrowed 100,000 baht from a loan shark in Chonburi but later had a problem repaying it and was constantly asked to do so.

But he didn't repay it, so what do you expect, I don't have much sympathy for this guy. His car was worth 600K and it sounds like he was in a private room/hospital. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

The loan sharks didn't attack a hospitalized patient. They attacked a person who then became a hospital patient if my understanding of the article was correct.

I think you need to read the first post again. He was undergoing treatment at the hospital when they attacked him

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Dealing with loan sharks is the last resort anyone in Thailand will go too, but they do and they hope that somehow, someway, they will mange and be ok which is in most times is a false hope, but to barge into a hospital rough the man up and take his car? this is stooping so low even a snake will not do it... 

I do not quite agree to this. I've been dealing with all five big Thai banks on normal commercial business banking and can tell you, it is a tedious tiring affair. Apart from an absolutely unnecessary avalanche of papers, rubber stamps, copies of copies of copies etc. too many people are involved, have to initialize or sign off stacks of paper they don't even read. 

Given the limited education of most Thais once it comes to financing they opt to deal with the much easier loan shark. See all those offerings by all those motorbike vendors proclaiming to part with a brand new bike without down payment and it costs the buyer only 41 Baht a day? Work out the juicier details and you will see that you just got a very expensive loan and they throw in a bike for good measure. The average Thai cant work out interest rates ....... unlike the loan sharks. Latter gets a waterproof collateral (in most cases at least) and profits nicely in that niche between the holy banks and their rather uneducated customers.

Back in the 80s I remember a South Asian gentleman in a Patpong bar who came to collect nightly 20 Baht from their customers in payment of bed sheets he provided. Only he knew by how much he overcharged those girls .......... 

• Like 1