Red Bull case: Former senior prosecutor discharged from service

webfact

I guess we will never know but I would really like to know how these things happen.

Does someone approach those officers and tell them they could be rich.

Or do the officers speak with some people and offer their service?

Or is it not even necessary that anybody talks with anybody else? Because the officers know already that they future won't be bright if they put the "wrong" person in jail. And probably they also know already that their future will be much brighter if they do the "right" thing. Maybe a promotion. Or suddenly this nice house is for sale for 1/2 the price, I am sure things happen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I looked up Vorayuth Yoovidhya on INTERPOL red notice and cannot find him.  

There's still one warrant for reckless driving causing death exp. 2027.  

I alternated first and last name combination as well.  No results found.  

Has he been removed from INTERPOL red notice?  

Wikipedia even has an article on Vorayuth Yoovidhya !! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

What this article does not tell you is that they are not prosecuting Chainarong at all! They have let him off because he had a previously good record and to allow him to keep his his pension after the big hat stepped in.

I assume he kept stum on whoever instructed him to tamper with evidence and was rewarded accordingly.

This country continues to flabbergast me at times. Its all so blatant.

Unfortunately this is a now a boring and pointless story to run everyone knew the outcome from the start - leave until the red bull heir is arrested and prosecuted ( just after the herd of flying pigs go over bkk) until then ots a non story

or what about asean now tracks him down and writes about it ? 

• Like 1

Reading many comments here and agree when it comes to certain things brown envelopes can work in the favour of both sides but when some little S head kills an innocent policeman and is allowed to walk due to his ability to produce very fat envelopes and high ranking officials tamper or with hold evidence etc thats where it exceeds anything thats fair or reasonable !!

• Like 2

Chainarong had already resigned but a probe panel recommended sacking him because of the serious nature of the offence.

Sorry, am I missing something here? 

And regarding "Boss":- "He is regularly seen around the world especially at Formula 1 events but appears untouchable and out of reach of the Thai police."

Absolutely disgusting situation, and only confirms to the rest of the World the corruption that exists in the Justice system in Thailand, and sacking somebody who has already resigned shows the absurd interpretation of "loss of face" here. "You're not sacking me - I've already resigned". (Probably, if he was sacked before he resigned, he would not have been entitled to a few million baht loss of earnings/compensation!)

Expect to hear an announcement soon that Anutin is to be announced as Minister of Health!!! 

• Like 1

Mr. Prayut, would you like to retire as you are, a pm who really did nothing

to change Thailand's perceived reputation as a corrupt nation.

OR

The PM who dug deep to change that reputation.

You have the results of a legal probe into the wrongs of this case. BUT you have kept it hidden

from the general population. Release the findings of that probe and maybe Thailand will 

remember you in a good light.

OR 

Do nothing and keep Thailand's existing reputation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

It's all because Thailand is, all,  and only about money,

from the top ( PM ) to the bottom ( rice farmer ).

There internal greed, fuels them everyday  in everyway.

Will never change.

TIT.

Interesting definition of "top "..........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Discharged....  I doubt he cares one bit... 

Early retirement with a pension and whatever ‘extra’ he was given... 

In Thailand there is no incentive whatsoever ever to be anything other than corrupt. 

Corrupt is the norm here. It's socially accepted and expected. You are the odd one out and strange if you are not part of the corruption...

You will face trouble IF you go against the status quo. 

-----

I have a mate, from a wealthy family, decent position as police officer, refused to be corrupt. 

His car was scratched, his house was shot at...  he’s now part of the system and just accepts things the way they are...  he gets his promotions and takes his ‘extra’...  

Scratch the surface of Thailand and we see the vapid rot destroying the fabric of society.

I have an uncle, a retired general. He told it very similar.

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

The ordinary farang in Thailand should not perceive that this episode has anything to do with them. The wealthy in all countries in the world get a leg up over the less well-to-do, whether this is because they can afford better lawyers -- or the system affords them an outright bribe situation, as this case represents. Absolutely nothing that should alarm the ordinary farang in Thailand.

In fact, that corruption is so naked, as this episode represents, actually shows the other side of the coin, namely, a bribe can smooth over some bureaucratic road bumps, like certain Immigration requirements. And everyone can end happily: You get the extension you need; the agent gets a fat fee; and the Imm officer gets part of that fee, so that he's now getting paid what he should be -- and the Thai taxpayer is NOT funding that pay raise. What's so bad about this form of corruption......

Why do you still live here, if they "inevitably" will try and do you over? Paranoia is a terrible disease to live with.

Using this example as a warning to farang visitors *against* Thailand is baloney. Corruption has been with Asia for eons. It probably will never ever affect you here in Thailand -- and if it does, as pointed out, might be in your favor.

No, corruption should not be on any visitor's radar. But, being much less likely to be mugged in the streets of a Thai city, verses the streets of Chicago or Wash DC -- might be a topic of discussion for future visitors/retirees.

Corruption in Thailand will never go away. It's the way things have been done for ages -- and it greases more skids than not. Judging it by Western standards is a non starter.

Excellent points and as a visitor (tourist) you shouldn't have to worry about it. However if you do wind up staying here long enough you'll eventually deal with corruption in one way or another and to the scale and magnitude of the life / lifestyle you keep here.   I've had it go both ways for me.  I've willingly paid the piper and have had no choice but to pay the piper.  It's part of life here and as you mentioned if you just keep your life relatively trouble free, follow the rules, stay away from dodgey situations and don't attract attention to yourself your run-ins with those set to extort you should be minimal and relatively easy to deal with.

Life here is still way better than winters and crime in Chicago.  In a western world we just have softer ways of masking corruption through taxes and fines.  Here it's just out in the open

Edited by happydreamer

"He is regularly seen around the world especially at Formula 1 events but appears untouchable and out of reach of the Thai police."

I've never seen evidence of these "sightings". And given the enormous publicity F1 attracts at every race, it would not seem an ideal place to show one's spotty mug. Maybe there should be a proper attempt at locating it. Private dicks might get the job done. Who's going to hire the shamus?

• Like 1

2 things that really stand out to me in this case.  The victim was a cop. And that the top judicial guy was corrupt.  The highest court.   If money and family connections can manipulate murder then nothing is unthinkable or undoable in Thailand!.   But get big enemy's and your political career can be ended because you have encroached on forest land.   Just imagine the movie about the dealings and  conversations between the top dogs who really run this country.  It would put circa 1950s Vegas to shame.   

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Never, ever trust any of them. Has served me well in 30 odd years here and keeps me from being surprised and prepares me for when they inevitably try to do me over. 

Trust any of who - police, rich people, Thais? 

6 hours ago, Spock said:

Why bother disciplining this guy and others when the red bull heir wanders the world untouched. I doubt that too many Thai people are even concerned about this miscarriage of justice. I am sure most people accept his preferential treatment as just par for the course in Thailand. Thailand all too often fails to take a moral position on important issues, including this case and the invasion of the Ukraine.  

This case is only really important to foreigners who don't understand or want to accept Thailand as it is,  or as the guy was driving a super car. 

The victim's family have been compensated a LOT more than had the killer been a rice farmer in a 30 year old pick up truck. 

If the latter, which happens all the time, the usual compensation is 50,000 baht. 

I think to many people criticise, without being honest about what they'd do if they were in a similar situation. 

If any of my kids were afflicted with alcohol or drug addiction and committed a crime, if so all in my power to save them going to jail. 

Maybe some are jealous that they don't have billions like this family. 

This will be forgotten, just as previous cases have been - anyone heard about Duangchalerm Yubamrung recently? 

He was the son of the deputy PM who <deleted> a policeman dead in a thong lor nightclub with 22 witnesses. He fled abroad and then ran for parliament and now is a police sharpshooter. 

Maybe Thais have more faith in universal justice, or Karma than farang and their reap what you sow. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Discharged....  I doubt he cares one bit... 

Early retirement with a pension and whatever ‘extra’ he was given... 

In Thailand there is no incentive whatsoever ever to be anything other than corrupt. 

Corrupt is the norm here. It's socially accepted and expected. You are the odd one out and strange if you are not part of the corruption...

You will face trouble IF you go against the status quo. 

-----

I have a mate, from a wealthy family, decent position as police officer, refused to be corrupt. 

His car was scratched, his house was shot at...  he’s now part of the system and just accepts things the way they are...  he gets his promotions and takes his ‘extra’...  

Scratch the surface of Thailand and we see the vapid rot destroying the fabric of society.

I disagree only witht he last sentance.  It implies that corruption is new.  It has always been thus, read any book written by early visitors and later visitors to Siam.  But it is not only in LOS.   

8 hours ago, JimGant said:

The ordinary farang in Thailand should not perceive that this episode has anything to do with them. The wealthy in all countries in the world get a leg up over the less well-to-do, whether this is because they can afford better lawyers -- or the system affords them an outright bribe situation, as this case represents. Absolutely nothing that should alarm the ordinary farang in Thailand.

In fact, that corruption is so naked, as this episode represents, actually shows the other side of the coin, namely, a bribe can smooth over some bureaucratic road bumps, like certain Immigration requirements. And everyone can end happily: You get the extension you need; the agent gets a fat fee; and the Imm officer gets part of that fee, so that he's now getting paid what he should be -- and the Thai taxpayer is NOT funding that pay raise. What's so bad about this form of corruption......

Why do you still live here, if they "inevitably" will try and do you over? Paranoia is a terrible disease to live with.

Using this example as a warning to farang visitors *against* Thailand is baloney. Corruption has been with Asia for eons. It probably will never ever affect you here in Thailand -- and if it does, as pointed out, might be in your favor.

No, corruption should not be on any visitor's radar. But, being much less likely to be mugged in the streets of a Thai city, verses the streets of Chicago or Wash DC -- might be a topic of discussion for future visitors/retirees.

Corruption in Thailand will never go away. It's the way things have been done for ages -- and it greases more skids than not. Judging it by Western standards is a non starter.

Och, wheesht laddie. 

Mugged in Chicago? Are you off your meds?

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

"He is regularly seen around the world especially at Formula 1 events but appears untouchable and out of reach of the Thai police."

I've never seen evidence of these "sightings". And given the enormous publicity F1 attracts at every race, it would not seem an ideal place to show one's spotty mug. Maybe there should be a proper attempt at locating it. Private dicks might get the job done. Who's going to hire the shamus?

He's been spotted at several F1 races, there are many photos of him at various races round the World.

He was also proven to be living openly in Bangkok and in and out of the country up until 2017 when they said they couldn't locate him since 2012.

Don't be a mug and don't believe a word they say mate. 

12 hours ago, Orinoco said:

The true Hub of corruption.

Not so sure we can point the finger just at Thailand. The one rule for the rich is in most countries

Look at California the kid that was racing killed a woman and got probation because dad had money.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Not so sure we can point the finger just at Thailand. The one rule for the rich is in most countries

Look at California the kid that was racing killed a woman and got probation because dad had money.

Take a look at any corruption index , Thailand may not be the bottom country but it is getting worse.

17 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Should be looking at 20 years......how many other cases have had the evidence tampered with....how many innocents in jail.....how many guilty walking free......this really is shocking.

Beyond belief he just walks away with his pension. 

The paper that dare not say its name claims it was stated that the offence of tampering was not serious....?????????????????????

Police and judicial  system [laugh] is bought & paid for in Thailand.

• Like 2