Thai Immigration continues overstaying crackdown, passport checks take place across Pattaya

webfact

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

It amazes me that they still have 90 day reporting and all the other silly rules for a law abiding Farang to stay there. Just like having people leave the country for one day only to return. WHAT IS THE POINT? What does that really accomplish and how does it improve the validation that someone is abiding by the rules and not being a problem for the country.  The good/honest people are doing the 90 days reporting. The bad guys who overstay aren't. So find a better process Thailand. Quit treating the honest guests of your country like criminals and more like they are welcome. 

Where does the article state that those doing 90 day reports are being seen as criminals. Overstating is a crime and if not reporting your 90 day report your violating a law and is one way to find overstayed.  If you don't like it get a LTR style visa then you only report once a year....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The law only says that your passport must be available for inspection at reasonable notice, it doesn't say you must carry it with you all the time.

Please provide the link to the Thai law or immigration regulation stating that immigration is lawfully required to give you reasonable time (notice) to produce your passport . I will save you the time, there is none. However, I will provide you with a link to a reputable source on what has happened in the past to foreigners caught in a raid;

“So, do you need to carry a passport in Thailand? Yes, there is a requirement for all tourists to carry their passports in Thailand at all times. Thai authorities might request to show a passport during raids on nightclubs, at roadblocks, and on other occasions. It is possible to get around Thailand without carrying a passport, but there is a risk of 2000 Baht fine for not having a passport with you.”

https://www.thaizer.com/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/#:~:text=“By law%2C you must carry,produce their passport upon request.

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And from what, exactly? I don't condone breaking the law, even though that is the norm in Thailand, but have any of those caught on overstay been a threat to public safety?

Safety from criminals hiding in Thailand who are still scamming others, well its only a few but with Big Joke on the job the country already feels warmer and fuzzier to some of us expats..

14 minutes ago, Mywayboy said:

My view is its ridiculous to have 90 day reporting with a 12 month visa.

Only necessary if you change your fixed abode during that period of time.

Then again TIT I suppose. 

Part of their custom ingrained can't possibly accept change can they.

Don't tell us, tell the Thai authorities. Although why they should care escapes me. It is something that takes me a whole minute, hardly onerous. 

Perhaps they see a need tor a tighter rein than 11 months?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Crapt!! The thought of accidentally losing or damaging my passport to follow the letter of the law is a real pain. The cost and time involved in replacing the passport is significant. Unfortunately Thai lowmakers do not take this into consideration when making regulations. TIT.

3 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Please provide the link to the Thai law or immigration regulation stating that immigration is lawfully required to accept pics and visa stamp on your phone. I will save you the time, there is none. However, I will provide you with a link to a reputable source on what has happened in the past to foreigners caught in a raid;

“So, do you need to carry a passport in Thailand? Yes, there is a requirement for all tourists to carry their passports in Thailand at all times. Thai authorities might request to show a passport during raids on nightclubs, at roadblocks, and on other occasions. It is possible to get around Thailand without carrying a passport, but there is a risk of 2000 Baht fine for not having a passport with you.”

https://www.thaizer.com/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/#:~:text=“By law%2C you must carry,produce their passport upon request.

There is a law in Thailand which says everybody, Thai or foreign, must carry identification. 

A driving license may be acceptable.....however, it is really up to the individual officer...A passport is easy....but not secure.

52 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Crapt!! The thought of accidentally losing or damaging my passport to follow the letter of the law is a real pain. The cost and time involved in replacing the passport is significant. Unfortunately Thai lowmakers do not take this into consideration when making regulations. TIT.

They recently announced in Pattaya you just have to carry a photo of your passport and visa in your phone. Otherwise if they stop you you will be arrested and have to wait in a cell until somebody brings your passport to the police.

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A very long winded way of saying if you don't like it leave. 

A simplistic, sort-sighted and sycophantic comment, surely you can do better? 

Nah, that's the best I want to do as a response to someone who thinks they must be given justifications for everything that impacts them.

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Lol Big Joke whos car was shot at because of his involvement in elephant tickets for Police promotions. That Big Joke? 

You have it backwards he was investigating the corruption of others paying for promotions....

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Normally they make it up as they go along or don't even know the rules  themselves. 

Of course the rules are never obeyed by the locals so you see the irony in telling visitors that they must strictly obey. 

No irony, if your a local in your own country you do as you want just like others do in there country...but when your a guest you need to follow the rules as your first to be found d now aren't you.....like wearing a helmet on a motorbike...thais drive by the RTP without one and don't get a look while a foreigner gets stopped all the time....

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The campaign is officially running from December 1st to December 10th and is aimed at ensuring safety for the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s holidays.

I love the  thick racist  undertone, the only criminals in Thailand are foreigners. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Another point that some posters have touched on is that the image and reputation of the country is tarnished when you have Police raiding tourist venues, checkpoints, roadblocks etc. It scares people and puts people off coming. 

It all looks very 'Third-world, Banana Republic, Police State, or dare I say it, Dictatorship' to anyone looking in. 

They don't have the tact or common sense to know any better unfortunately. 

Looks like almost 10 million tourists see it differently then you, it has not seemingly put them off now has it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

No I have it right I have Police mates that know him. 

So in their view he is corrupt and others are not....sounds like something a MAGA supporter would say....

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

It amazes me that they still have 90 day reporting and all the other silly rules for a law abiding Farang to stay there. Just like having people leave the country for one day only to return. WHAT IS THE POINT? What does that really accomplish and how does it improve the validation that someone is abiding by the rules and not being a problem for the country.  The good/honest people are doing the 90 days reporting. The bad guys who overstay aren't. So find a better process Thailand. Quit treating the honest guests of your country like criminals and more like they are welcome. 

It's an easy way of getting rid of people that they don't want in Thailand.

Maybe a little known fact is that getting a visa doen't guarantee entry to Thailand. There used to be a notice stating this at the Thai Consulate in Penang. The final decision is down to the (unusually unsmiling) immigration officer at the point of entry.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not yet but it will put them off that is the point. 

We shall just have to see, get back to me next June and we shall see how the end if the high season was. Only thing stopping people from visiting is the high cost of travel. Single people no issues, families a bit harder.

• Like 1