Thai Immigration continues overstaying crackdown, passport checks take place across Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In all my years here, and traveling around and being stopped at checkpoints it has never been an issue. Pink ID card shown or DL to check in for domestic flights or check into hotels.. non issue.

I do not doubt what you are saying. But you are talking about domestic flights and hotels. What we are discussing here is raids conducted by immigration officers with far reaching powers. 

46 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

This may be true but Thai officials are notorious for changing their minds tha next day (smile). Until the law / regulation is published in the Royal Thai Gazzette it's just words.

I know it's only one case, but in my 20 years of living in Thailand I was never once asked for ID on the street, or anywhere except for the bank.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When you guys complain about Thailand not enforcing the laws you are complaining when they do enforce the laws. Make up your minds they either enforce or not but it is not up to you. The majority of tourist are clueless about what goes on here, they get their fill in a week or two and are gone.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would have thought overstayers would contribute to the Thai economy, who would have thought that, nah, send them away, Thailand doesn't need the extra $ do they.

While their at it, can they get some cops on the roads to save lives, some 20,000 plus of them, even a 10% reduction would be better than going after overstayers in my opinion.

Check the laws in other countries, like your home country. Can a visitor just decide that he\she wants to stay for ever, after their visa expired? AFAIK, in Europe one can stay up to 3 months on visa exempt. But border runs between 2 European countries does not get you more time. You actually have to go out of the EU.

On the US it is 6 months and then you have to go out. In Australia about 3 months, and let's see you do an Overland border run there...

So better get rid of immigration officers and offices all over the world. Cancel passports and let anyone just choose where they want to live. This way the immigration officers could join the police force and eliminate all crimes and road accidents and the world will be a happy place..

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

If you are referring to the following post that you highly recommended:

"Some years ago an Immigration Dept Major General was quoted as saying that it's OK to just carry phoiocopies of passport/visa."

This is not proof that a law exists. This is an opinion. As metioned in my response, the Dept Major General may well have said it but Thai officials are notorious for changing their minds tha next day (smile). Until the law / regulation is published in the Royal Thai Gazzette it's just words.

Yours truly, Slick (smile)

Nope, I was referring to Sheryls quotes.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The campaign is officially running from December 1st to December 10th and is aimed at ensuring safety for the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s holidays.

Yes, indeed, those rascals with a few days of overstay are well-known for running human-trafficking rings and drug cartels, best lock them all up and leave the honest, decent people here driving Porsche Cayennes in peace and safety.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

I've just applied for a renewal of my marriage visa. So many documents as you probably know. Officials have told me that the top-heavy process as I call it is because many foreigners are cheating the system and lying to Immigration. Honest people are effectively being inconvenienced because of the dishonest foreigners living in Thailand. Thankfully, there is now a very good online website for reporting every 90 days and the marriage visa renewal process has been streamlined a little bit.

Yes, a lot of people try to cheat the system (with the help of corrupt agents and immigration officers). The problem is also within immigration itself.

I recently changed my visa to a child-support visa, due to my Thai-wife having stage 4 cancer and is bedridden.

A very time consuming process that also involved a home-visit from immigration. I guess they needed to see that my sons mother was actually sick as we claimed.

Luckily I found an agent that helped me and ensured it was all done 100% the correct way. Other agents I approached suggested none-legal ways, which is only possible if corrupt immigration officers are also involved.

In some cases agents can be of great help, like in my case. On the other hand, had I gone the illegal way, I could have ended up in big trouble later. Which many risk doing, when they choose the “corruption route”.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

I do not doubt what you are saying. But you are talking about domestic flights and hotels. What we are discussing here is raids conducted by immigration officers with far reaching powers. 

Well if they raid my house I will show my PP. Never have shown before even when I was in a bar years ago and immigration popped in, of course they just wanted the brown envelope because of the foreign workers working there as well as Thais....

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Yes, indeed, those rascals with a few days of overstay are well-known for running human-trafficking rings and drug cartels, best lock them all up and leave the honest, decent people here driving Porsche Cayennes in peace and safety.

I sold mine so it wouldn't get scratched in BKK. Now I can't park in the malls super car parking.....sigh.

5 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

It amazes me that they still have 90 day reporting and all the other silly rules for a law abiding Farang to stay there. Just like having people leave the country for one day only to return. WHAT IS THE POINT? What does that really accomplish and how does it improve the validation that someone is abiding by the rules and not being a problem for the country.  The good/honest people are doing the 90 days reporting. The bad guys who overstay aren't. So find a better process Thailand. Quit treating the honest guests of your country like criminals and more like they are welcome. 

The point is that it reminds us that we don't have any rights in LOS. We are aliens, and should never take living in LOS for granted.

I only wish my country would be as tough.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Are you saying

a/ laws can be ignored?

b/ Thailand should base their laws on what farangs want?

Every farang knows the rules, so no point moaning about them.

26 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I know it's only one case, but in my 20 years of living in Thailand I was never once asked for ID on the street, or anywhere except for the bank.

I was also asked for ID in hotels, guest houses, hospitals, dentist etc. Once I got Thai driving license that did for most places.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The point is that it reminds us that we don't have any rights in LOS. We are aliens, and should never take living in LOS for granted.

Is that why you left Thailand and aren't returning?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"The campaign is officially running from December 1st to December 10th...".

Nice of them to provide a heads up of when it will be safe for overstayers to return.

If the overstayers have left then they are not overstating now are they.....lol

32 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Check the laws in other countries, like your home country. Can a visitor just decide that he\she wants to stay for ever, after their visa expired? AFAIK, in Europe one can stay up to 3 months on visa exempt. But border runs between 2 European countries does not get you more time. You actually have to go out of the EU.

On the US it is 6 months and then you have to go out. In Australia about 3 months, and let's see you do an Overland border run there...

So better get rid of immigration officers and offices all over the world. Cancel passports and let anyone just choose where they want to live. This way the immigration officers could join the police force and eliminate all crimes and road accidents and the world will be a happy place..

You missed the whole point of my post, perhaps you should go back and read it again before you get your knickers all in a twist.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

I've just applied for a renewal of my marriage visa. So many documents as you probably know. Officials have told me that the top-heavy process as I call it is because many foreigners are cheating the system and lying to Immigration. Honest people are effectively being inconvenienced because of the dishonest foreigners living in Thailand. Thankfully, there is now a very good online website for reporting every 90 days and the marriage visa renewal process has been streamlined a little bit.

"there is now a very good online website for reporting every 90 days".... but please explain why this is even necessary. Only the honest people follow the rules so why make the host people jump thru another unnecessary hoop (even if some think it's not much of an inconvenience). I think they should reward the honest people and find a way to crack down on those who are cheating the system. Same with leaving the country for a day. If the reason is to get them out of the country so they don't have to let them back in that's nuts. Just revoke the visa, drive them to the airport and watch them get on a plane to anywhere out of the country. Give the honest law-abiding people a break.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

"I only wish my country would be as tough."... well said TBL. Well said. Maybe tough in a more realistic way but I understand your point.

• Like 1

Just now, HuskerDo2 said:

"I only wish my country would be as tough."... well said TBL. Well said. Maybe tough in a more realistic way but I understand your point.

You believe his post was sarcasm.....lol. countries have there own rules for there own reasons my friend and many are because of abuses in the system which allow it...

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Why do we need to understand their logic for having 90 day reports, they are a requirement of the visa, if you don't like 90 day reports, don't get the visa. Thailand doesn't need to justify their reasons for having certain rules in place, certainly not to non-citizens. If you don't like what you perceive as their reasons for having or doing certain things, there are 194 other countries for you to chose from.

With comments like that you should join TAT, they would welcome you?????

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

You believe his post was sarcasm.....lol. countries have there own rules for there own reasons my friend and many are because of abuses in the system which allow it...

No, I actually don't believe it was sarcasm. Read it again.

Thailand is the second best country in the world for controlling immigration.  I am in full support of kicking folks out who ignores the basic laws of how long you can stay here.  I just wish America had the balls to adopt the same policy.  

You come to Thailand and want to stay, just follow the rules and life will be much easier and less stressful than where you came from.

9 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

No, I actually don't believe it was sarcasm. Read it again.

The US I am afraid can never be tough and never will be on immigration....so I read it as sarcasm.  Wishing a country was like another is never true in anyway shape or fashion.  I wish my ex was not the mother of my children....that again is wishful thinking and sarcasm.....it can never be....