Thai Immigration continues overstaying crackdown, passport checks take place across Pattaya

webfact

25 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Some years ago an Immigration Dept Major General was quoted as saying that it's OK to just carry phoiocopies of passport/visa.

This may be true but Thai officials are notorious for changing their minds tha next day (smile). Until the law / regulation is published in the Royal Thai Gazzette it's just words.

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I left Thailand 4 years ago. When I was there the online reporting had only just been introduced and wasn't really working.

So the experiences you quoted are rather dated.

I assure you online is quick and easy now... people complaining about having to do 90 day reports would take issue about lifting their foot for a step! 

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

It amazes me that they still have 90 day reporting and all the other silly rules for a law abiding Farang to stay there. Just like having people leave the country for one day only to return. WHAT IS THE POINT? What does that really accomplish and how does it improve the validation that someone is abiding by the rules and not being a problem for the country.  The good/honest people are doing the 90 days reporting. The bad guys who overstay aren't. So find a better process Thailand. Quit treating the honest guests of your country like criminals and more like they are welcome. 

Surely the POINT is that they have the option to not let you back in.

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Who says they contribute...  one has to presume they have reason not to renew their stays? No they do not need the extra few hundred dollars some foreign waster brings to the country. 

Traffic issues are completely different police department.....

How else would they survive here ?

I am sure they have some form of income that keeps them alive here, my point was, perhaps the Thai government should focus more on saving lives as opposed to throwing out those that are deemed overstayers so as to justify their expensive BMW cars.

To me saving lives is far more important, i.e. get the lazy cops off of their asses to apply the law to their own citizens, but then again, they never really cares about their own, that Captain cop the other days showed a classic example of not moving out of the way of an ambulance.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Two posts made below suppling proof, your move slick.

If you are referring to the following post that you highly recommended:

"Some years ago an Immigration Dept Major General was quoted as saying that it's OK to just carry phoiocopies of passport/visa."

This is not proof that a law exists. This is an opinion. As metioned in my response, the Dept Major General may well have said it but Thai officials are notorious for changing their minds tha next day (smile). Until the law / regulation is published in the Royal Thai Gazzette it's just words.

Yours truly, Slick (smile)

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

pretending to be a tourist

You could be in any country for years legally if you can afford it.

People are just replying of the archaic rules and horrible behavior of most of the immigration staff.   

It amazes me that they still have 90 day reporting and all the other silly rules for a law abiding Farang to stay there. Just like having people leave the country for one day only to return. WHAT IS THE POINT? What does that really accomplish and how does it improve the validation that someone is abiding by the rules and not being a problem for the country.  The good/honest people are doing the 90 days reporting. The bad guys who overstay aren't. So find a better process Thailand. Quit treating the honest guests of your country like criminals and more like they are welcome. 

I've just applied for a renewal of my marriage visa. So many documents as you probably know. Officials have told me that the top-heavy process as I call it is because many foreigners are cheating the system and lying to Immigration. Honest people are effectively being inconvenienced because of the dishonest foreigners living in Thailand. Thankfully, there is now a very good online website for reporting every 90 days and the marriage visa renewal process has been streamlined a little bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Crapt!! The thought of accidentally losing or damaging my passport to follow the letter of the law is a real pain. The cost and time involved in replacing the passport is significant. Unfortunately Thai lowmakers do not take this into consideration when making regulations. TIT.

Well just take a photo of front page and visa page, 

rocket science it 'aint

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

How else would they survive here ?

I am sure they have some form of income that keeps them alive here, my point was, perhaps the Thai government should focus more on saving lives as opposed to throwing out those that are deemed overstayers so as to justify their expensive BMW cars.

To me saving lives is far more important, i.e. get the lazy cops off of their asses to apply the law to their own citizens, but then again, they never really cares about their own, that Captain cop the other days showed a classic example of not moving out of the way of an ambulance.

If they have money, then a legitimate way of living here is open to them. A pension, old enough for marriage or retirement extension! Younger but have rental income or wealthy, try an Elite Visa or get married. It isn't about Thai government officials legitimately owning  a particular brand of car. 

What is important to you is not what governs Thailand's efforts, you, like me, are simply a guest, not some superior foreign advisor!

I would welcome some longer term alternative to my annual renewal, I fear for those getting too infirmed to achieve this, but it is far from difficult. 

Pointing at other issues is distraction.... 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You could be in any country for years legally if you can afford it.

People are just replying of the archaic rules and horrible behavior of most of the immigration staff.   

Well fine, so what are you proposing, Thailand becomes the haven for the world's poor? 

15 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

The 365 day, I'm a precious farang and don't deserve to have to do this, visa.

No the new LTR visas, you guys need to get out more....lol. It's the I am a technology worker, global wealthy citizen, wealthy pensioner visa.  

14 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

If you are referring to the following post that you highly recommended:

"Some years ago an Immigration Dept Major General was quoted as saying that it's OK to just carry phoiocopies of passport/visa."

This is not proof that a law exists. This is an opinion. As metioned in my response, the Dept Major General may well have said it but Thai officials are notorious for changing their minds tha next day (smile). Until the law / regulation is published in the Royal Thai Gazzette it's just words.

Yours truly, Slick (smile)

Just carry your Non Thai Pink ID card, oh wait many think they are a waste of time. Carry your Thai Driver license, oh wait tourists do not have them....sorry but I never carry my passport, been stopped many times, showed my DL and off I went....country wide.

Too long. Keep it short????????

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well just take a photo of front page and visa page, 

rocket science it 'aint

Taking a mobile phot of your front page and visa page is not the problem. It's whether the Thai Immigration officer will accept. You have no recourse if he doesn't.

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

:clap2:

About time too.... but presumably a change of address would need to be reported via TM30 system promptly?

Only if you have moved.  If you have the same house you already have a TM30 so regardless of travel in and out, a new TM30 is not needed. They did away with the requirement a few years back to report your address after you traveled somewhere else either in the country or outside. TM28 was done away with as well.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Taking a mobile phot of your front page and visa page is not the problem. It's whether the Thai Immigration officer will accept. You have no recourse if he doesn't.

In all my years here, and traveling around and being stopped at checkpoints it has never been an issue. Pink ID card shown or DL to check in for domestic flights or check into hotels.. non issue.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just carry your Non Thai Pink ID card, oh wait many think they are a waste of time. Carry your Thai Driver license, oh wait tourists do not have them....sorry but I never carry my passport, been stopped many times, showed my DL and off I went....country wide.

Not doubting that you have been stopped multiple time on the highways and showing your DL was sufficient. But here we are talking about immigration officers not traffic cops. Different departments, different objectives. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Why do we need to understand their logic for having 90 day reports, they are a requirement of the visa, if you don't like 90 day reports, don't get the visa. Thailand doesn't need to justify their reasons for having certain rules in place, certainly not to non-citizens. If you don't like what you perceive as their reasons for having or doing certain things, there are 194 other countries for you to chose from.

They can reevaluate some archaic rules. Even reporting every 180 days / 6 months is both convenient and they can still keep track of those people who report 90 days now. Thailand can change. You are so harsh! Other countries have also changed year to year. Get over it. 

1 minute ago, riverhigh said:

Not doubting that you have been stopped multiple time on the highways and showing your DL was sufficient. But here we are talking about immigration officers not traffic cops. Different departments, different objectives. 

Immigration officers as well out on the road during covid lockdowns. I/O checking as I walked into my condo in BKK, obviously looking for someone.....but only time I carry my PP is to DLT or when I go to immigration like last week here in PKK for a certificate of residence....other than that a copy on my phone works if asked, but never have been other than the time in my condo which I stated above ID card shown and copy on my phone....however, YMMV.

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So the experiences you quoted are rather dated.

I assure you online is quick and easy now... people complaining about having to do 90 day reports would take issue about lifting their foot for a step! 

I had an old friend who used to moan about it, and he used to do the 90 days by mail. He now uses an agent and has to do the 90 days in person. I got the impression that he had become rather 'lazy'!