Thai Immigration continues overstaying crackdown, passport checks take place across Pattaya

webfact

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If you are a tourist, at some point you need to go home. If you are living here and pretending to be a tourist, you are breaking the rules of your Permission to Stay. 90 day reports are trivial on-line. Too many people seem to think they have a right to live anywhere in the World they chose... I am afraid that is a European concept. 

agree, get the visa relevant to your status here. duh.

How to increase and improve tourist numbers:

1. Immigration police crackdown on tourist overstay by stopping and checking tourists constantly. 
  2. More random police road stops.
  3. More random police raids and <deleted> testing for drugs.
  4. More misinformation and unnecessary complications regarding tourist visas
  5. Implementing more new rules and regulations just as the restrictions have eased and tourists are wanting to travel.
  6. More misinformation about bar closing in resort areas

I'm no economist, but it might be wise to wait another year or two before implementing new rules, laws, or radical changes to allow for the economy to bounce back.        

Let the golden goose lay a few golden eggs before choking her to death.

This is only meant as a tongue-in-cheek post.  Don't take this seriously, ok?  

Edited by waders123
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

They recently announced in Pattaya you just have to carry a photo of your passport and visa in your phone. Otherwise if they stop you you will be arrested and have to wait in a cell until somebody brings your passport to the police.

OK, I'll wait in the cell, no problem. Do they supply coffee and donuts? Highly unlikely to happen though -- at least in nearly 4 decades in Thailand never been asked for ID in public, except driving licenses.

Always found the RTP and IO people very polite. Speak to them nicely and they normally respond in kind.

I'm not a fan of the 90 day report, which doesn't appear to achieve anything. After 30+ years of not bothering reporting and no problems renewing the yearly visa, they finally caught up with me due to their computer systems. I made some feeble excuse about Covid, but the IO said very aplogetically that sorry, but they must fine me 2,000 baht. I sighed and said if you must it's OK, and of course thanked them and apolgised for any problem caused. I was a bit disheartened when a friend overstayed his 90 day report and they accepted 1,000 baht cash under the table. Favouritism!

The point is, don't take it too seriously. It's all about money, not catching criminals.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just carry your Non Thai Pink ID card, oh wait many think they are a waste of time. Carry your Thai Driver license, oh wait tourists do not have them....sorry but I never carry my passport, been stopped many times, showed my DL and off I went....country wide.

A Thai ID is very useful to have ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If you are a tourist, at some point you need to go home. If you are living here and pretending to be a tourist, you are breaking the rules of your Permission to Stay. 90 day reports are trivial on-line. Too many people seem to think they have a right to live anywhere in the World they chose... I am afraid that is a European concept. 

TIT, and the Country belongs to the Thai people.

Should people wish to deliberately break the Laws that Thailand has in place for Immigration,  please stay away, and find another Country to accommodate you with the Rules and Laws you set out, and not theirs.

Good Luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The US I am afraid can never be tough and never will be on immigration....so I read it as sarcasm.  Wishing a country was like another is never true in anyway shape or fashion.  I wish my ex was not the mother of my children....that again is wishful thinking and sarcasm.....it can never be....

That country was created by immigrants, have you never see Titanic?

Rather ironic people like Trump, who's mother was Scottish, complain.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The campaign is officially running from December 1st to December 10th and is aimed at ensuring safety for the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s holidays.

So what are they saying? Are All overstayers Criminals?. Maybe there are some .

There are more Native criminals then overstay criminals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The point is that it reminds us that we don't have any rights in LOS. We are aliens, and should never take living in LOS for granted.

I only wish my country would be as tough.

If we want to live here for a long time, we can go through the proper naturalization channels. 

What is your country?

I find it rather ironic that many people, including myself, want to keep illegal aliens out their own countries yet complain how hard it is to become a legal immigrant in Thailand. 

Australia and the US should remember the Red Indians and aborigines.

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Of course all overstayers are criminals, it's a criminal offense to overstay your visa.

Remember the Al Qaeda chief who used a visa agent here?

Edited by Neeranam

3 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Please provide the link to the Thai law or immigration regulation stating that immigration is lawfully required to accept pics and visa stamp on your phone. I will save you the time, there is none.

All legislation (statutory law) as enacted by parliament, is by necessity rigid and condensed. An Act of Parliament cannot allow for all possible nuances and the many different circumstances which may arise within that law. Legislation, such as an Immigration Act, may go unchanged for many years.

This is why policy and procedures are introduced to assist in the processing of matters pertaining.  These are usually kept updated to reflect changes in circumstances or even at the whim of a minister.  They may not be available for all to peruse and could even be in verbal form issued by a senior officer with that power.

Failure to find a particular circumstance within the legislation does not mean there is not a valid policy in affect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Please provide the link to the Thai law or immigration regulation stating that immigration is lawfully required to accept pics and visa stamp on your phone. I will save you the time, there is none. However, I will provide you with a link to a reputable source on what has happened in the past to foreigners caught in a raid;

“So, do you need to carry a passport in Thailand? Yes, there is a requirement for all tourists to carry their passports in Thailand at all times. Thai authorities might request to show a passport during raids on nightclubs, at roadblocks, and on other occasions. It is possible to get around Thailand without carrying a passport, but there is a risk of 2000 Baht fine for not having a passport with you.”

https://www.thaizer.com/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/#:~:text=“By law%2C you must carry,produce their passport upon request.

yes, indeed, there seems to be some confusion over this issue, some say pics on your phone will do, others you need your original documents, passport.

I have requested posters on many occasions to say which law says you need your original passport, nobody has replied.

It would make sense in this day and age of digital technology that the immigration police would have apps on their phone which can interrogate the immigration database and have facial recognition technology, there bye making the need to carry a passport non existent?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Crapt!! The thought of accidentally losing or damaging my passport to follow the letter of the law is a real pain. The cost and time involved in replacing the passport is significant. Unfortunately Thai lowmakers do not take this into consideration when making regulations. TIT.

That's why they will accept copies or phone pictures, as the OP clearly stated.

7 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

It amazes me that they still have 90 day reporting and all the other silly rules for a law abiding Farang to stay there.

I totally agree. No such bureaucratic BS here in hassle free Cambodia. As a retiree over 55 years, once you get your retirement visa that is it until the renewal date the following year - so easy!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I think over stayers have committed a crime, all be it small. But you are certainly correct there are certainly lots more 'native' criminals committing actual serious crime!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Please provide the link to the Thai law or immigration regulation stating that immigration is lawfully required to accept pics and visa stamp on your phone. I will save you the time, there is none. However, I will provide you with a link to a reputable source on what has happened in the past to foreigners caught in a raid;

“So, do you need to carry a passport in Thailand? Yes, there is a requirement for all tourists to carry their passports in Thailand at all times

may I suggest you read the OP again, strictly by law you are correct but a copy or photo of relevent pages of your passport are generally accepted, it has been that way for a very long time 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You missed the whole point of my post, perhaps you should go back and read it again before you get your knickers all in a twist.

Seem a few on here have their panties in a twist over this one! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

TAT could jump on this to promote Thailand,

"You need to have your papers in order but at least you can have some nooky'!

If they would make that illegal i would complain,the few rules we have to follow here?Easy,it takes just as long doing your 90 day report online as

writing to complain about  it on AN.

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You quote some American bloggers advice as proof of your preferred answer and then expect me to post a link to Thai or Immigration law to dispute that, really!

If you want to see the law on this point, you go find it. The matter has been discussed here tens of times over two decades, I don't feel the need to justify my understanding, even if you want me to.

there is always someone trying to be a smart ### on these forums - hate to say this but very likely from the US, not all are like that but when you come across the "I am always right" argument - the are often from the USA and will not be told or accept any reality but their own - pretty sad really 

and for those from the USA - read very carefully what I said, a very small percentage of people seem to have this attitude and are more often from the USA

• Thumbs Up 1