EV Charging Stations (CS)

KhunLA

1 minute ago, Pib said:

The app only has a Google Play store rating of 3.6 out of 5...lots of reviewers giving it low ratings...have lots of issues with the app...but it seems most of the issues relates to how the app controls/monitors EV functions and not relating to being able to pay for charging which requires a credit card.

Strange for such a high tech company to be a bit lacking with the app.   Guess they aren't alone in that department, Windows being a fine example, though their constant upgrades is more about profits, and forcing people to upgrade, and charging for what used to be free.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm just wondering, what part of the following admonition in the OP, did you not understand?

"PLEASE keep it on topic, as plenty of threads to debate ICE vs EV & EV vs Petrol, Eco vs dirty, source of energy for CS ... bla bla bla ... THANK YOU

Thread is about how to use, your experience, good or bad. Reviews of CS you used."

Not a fan of reporting posts, but yes, I will, if go too far off topic, and don't keep it civil.   Which so far, all  has been, civil, and thanks ALL for that.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think we'll be using T CS, as registering you car seems way to involved for us to bother...

image.png.64bd01cc7a82b408a79a5448efd34c19.png

I think above only applies when you own a Tesla EV and want to be able to use all the app's capability like controlling, monitoring, etc., your Tesla EV.

But if "not" owning a Tesla EV.....like maybe my LoSo BYD Atto....and only wanting to charge then below is how to use the app...you'll only use the charging capability (IF, repeat, IF a non-Telsa EV can use the Tesla Superchargers in Thailand).   See below Tesla Q&A weblink/partial quote

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging-other-evs#charge-if-not-tesla-vehicle

image.png.b39dc86f71bfea008bbbfc40bf243f02.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Pib said:

I think above only applies when you own a Tesla EV and want to be able to use all the app's capability like controlling, monitoring, etc., your Tesla EV.

But if "not" owning a Tesla EV.....like maybe my LoSo BYD Atto....and only wanting to charge then below is how to use the app...you'll only use the charging capability (IF, repeat, IF a non-Telsa EV can use the Tesla Superchargers in Thailand).   See below Tesla Q&A weblink/partial quote

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging-other-evs#charge-if-not-tesla-vehicle

image.png.b39dc86f71bfea008bbbfc40bf243f02.png

I was searching for, payment method, but didn't see anything for choosing, unless it's something you do at the charger, which would be strange.   Strange no info on the app, telling you how.

I did Google how to use, and saw the 'choose payment on app'  but .. is that set up before using, or after charging.   Would suck if you didn't research, topped up, then realized you had to have a CC.   As wife & myself didn't have one when we bought the MG.  Got one just to use CS.

Have only had debit cards for as long as I can remember, since no need not to pay cash for anything.  Only used them/CC for investing anyway.

See the options now .. THANKS

image.png.06737761b88e70dc7dd2429af0454c2f.png

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, KhunLA said:

I was searching for, payment method, but didn't see anything for choosing, unless it's something you do at the charger, which would be strange.   Strange no info on the app, telling you how.

I did Google how to use, and saw the 'choose payment on app'  but .. is that set up before using, or after charging.   Would suck if you didn't research, topped up, then realized you had to have a CC.   As wife & myself didn't have one when we bought the MG.  Got one just to use CS.

Have only had debit cards for as long as I can remember, since no need not to pay cash for anything.  Only used them/CC for investing anyway.

My understanding is you need a payment method loaded/approved in your app profile before you can start charging.  A debit card still might work even when an app might say credit card vs credit/debit card.  Some of the Thai charging apps say credit card but a debit card might still be accepted--you won't know until trying to load a card in the payment area. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

according to the tesla website, the tesla superchargers in thailand are not (jet) accessible to other electric vehicles.

seeing tesla's strategy in thailand since introduced, i believe this policy is unlikely to change in the near future.

https://www.tesla.com/en_th/support/supercharging-other-evs

20240417.png.304ec3d2c7648393411a0b82e9e3657d.png

The app and or site is contradicting itself then, as I only filtered 'other EVs'.   

image.png.ab0e496174b3fe77f5a6429802792a27.png

17 hours ago, Pib said:

My understanding is you need a payment method loaded/approved in your app profile before you can start charging.  A debit card still might work even when an app might say credit card vs credit/debit card.  Some of the Thai charging apps say credit card but a debit card might still be accepted--you won't know until trying to load a card in the payment area. 

Next week I will get my EV, and in preparation for I have started to download same Charger Apps. I find it very annoying how difficult some Apps are making it to register. EA Anywhere was very easy and has taken some few minutes only, but like PEA Volta, Elexa or EV Station Pluz I can't complete for now. Most likely it comes always to a stop when it comes to payment options. PEA I can't top up, Elexa want to have pictures of my Passport and myself and EV Station Pluz requires pre booking. What a joke.

Edited by UWEB
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Next week I will get my EV, and in preparation for I have started to download same Charger Apps. I find it very annoying how difficult some Apps are making it to register. EA Anywhere was very easy and has taken some few minutes only, but like PEA Volta, Elexa or EV Station Pluz I can't complete for now. Most likely it comes always to a stop when it comes to payment options. PEA I can't top up, Elexa want to have pictures of my Passport and myself and EV Station Pluz requires pre booking. What a joke.

EV Station Pluz doesn't require pre-booking, unless something changed the past month.  As we use them the most, and don't pre-book.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UWEB said:

In late 2023 I "registered" with all charging apps you mentioned above and I never had to provide a photo copy of my farang passport or Pink Thai ID card for those apps that may have required entry of your ID/passport number during the registration process.  As you mentioned some charging apps require entry of a ID/passport number during registration and some do not.  For those apps that did require entry of some kind of identification document during the registration process I always used my Thai Pink ID card 13 digit number....and never had to provide a photo copy.   

As said I did my registrations in late 2023 so maybe registrations now are a little different...OR, maybe it the same and if I had used my  farang passport instead of my Pink Thai ID card I would have been asked to provide a copy/photo.   

Now once "registered" setting up a "payment option" is a different animal.  Setting up a "payment" option can definitely be a chokepoint in some cases.  If a person can't setup a payment option then they can use the app to charge.   By payment option I mean getting setting up a way to pay for your charging....that is, entry of a credit/debit card, use of QR Payment (PromptPay), topping up your app wallet if the app uses the wallet approach vs just billing your credit/debit card each time.  Each app will offer different options to pay.   For some apps the only payment option is use of a debit/credit card and most likely it will only accept a Thai credit/debit card vs foreign credit/debit card (if I remember right PTT only accepts "Thai" credit/debit cards...farang cards a no-go).  And while setting up the credit/debit card option a card verification process will occur where the app bills and then refunds a small amount (something under Bt30)....how this verification process will go will also depend on whether the charging app accepts what bank issued the card AND what verification process the bank may use to confirm it really you entering the card information like your bank sending you a OTP/security code which you enter during the app payment verification process.     

And some charging apps offer the QR payment to top-up your app wallet like the PEA and EA Anywhere apps....no credit/debit card needed.  if using a Thai bank mobile app paying via QR payment is an absolute piece of cake and fast.   For those charging apps that only accept a credit/debit card as a payment option I used my Bangkok Bank Mastercard "debit" card.   I have that debt card loaded in the PTT Pluz, Elexa, and Altervim charging apps.  For the PEA and Altervim charging apps I do not have a card loaded and use QR payment instead since those apps offer payment via card or QR payment.

Now I also registered for ReverSharger which which is the Rever (BYD) and Shell charging network...if only offers a payment option of credit/debit card and would not accept my Bangkok Bank debit card although the PTT, Elexa, and Altervim accepted the Bangkok bank debit card no problem.   Someone in this or similar thread said they used their "foreign" credit/debit card in the ReverSharger app....I haven't tried that with one of my farang credit cards as I doubt I would ever have a need to use ReverSharger charging stations due to their location and since I can use other company chargers like PTT, PEA, Elexa, Altervim, etc., which are numerous AND I don't want to load a credit/debit card anywhere I don't have to.

And PTT Pluz does "not" require booking to use....in fact, sometimes if you do try to book it will not even let you if PTT has that particular charging station coded for walk-in only...that is, first come, first serve.    You can click the booking button for that charging station but nothing will happen and then for other PTT chargers a booking menu will pop-up to select a booking time.

Yes...registering for a charging app is one thing and then setting up a payment option within that app is another thing and can be a potential checkpoint depending on what cards a person has.  But if the app also offers the QR payment method then that pretty much wipes away the payment chokepoint assuming the person uses QR payment (Promptpay) as many folks still don't use it or even use mobile banking (mbanking) which makes QR payment so, so easy although the persom may use internet banking (ibanking).  If still only using ibanking...a person also needs to start using mbanking also...and in some cases a bank may completely do away with ibankingn and only offer mbanking.   Yeap, if the app offers the QR payment method just go that route.......OR use that QR method & also see if the app will accept your particular credit/debit card then you will have two payment methods.   

And one last thing, for those charging apps that use the "Wallet" approach you can just top-up that Wallet for X-amount to where the payment process for each charge session is just deducted from the wallet vs trying to pay via credit/debit card and a QR payment just before beginning the charge session.   I like the Wallet approach BUT don't load too much into the wallet until you are sure you will be periodically using the chargers....you wouldn't want to load say Bt1000 to your wallet right after registering with the app and then later on find out you really won't be using that charging network at all for some reason you didn't realize when first topping up the wallet.  Just initially top up the walled to the "minimum" amount require to start a charging session...and don't do that initial topup until you want to do your first "test" run with a particular charger.  Once you top-up a charging app wallet you can't  withdraw the funds...you can only use the funds to pay for charging session.

• Thanks 1

I went to Tesco/Lotus this morning, in walking back to the car I noticed a charging station, hmm, I thought, that's new.

There was a car parked in front of it with a bloke inside, then as I walked past I noticed the engine was running.............🤣...........:clap2:

Posted (edited)

If not for MG's commitment to have a CS every 150 ish kms, we probably would not have sold our ICE version of our MG ZS, and simply kept that for O&A.  We didn't sell right away, or as 'trade in' to 2nd hand market, partly for that reason.

A couple O&A testers, up to Bangkok & Kanchanaburi, along with S of PKK, assured us, we wouldn't be needing the ICE.

I had no intentions of riding around looking for a CS when out & about.  It was a challenge sometimes finding E85 for the ICE version, as only the newer PTT Parks usually had it.  Now it's easy to find a CS than E85 :cheesy:  Along with no benefit, since now he same price as 91.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

More evidence that ICE drivers are rather, shall we say, intellectually challenged?

Could be, as you were one too....................😂

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

One of us still is and I reckon the majority of posters know who…

I previously owned an ICEV as that was the only option available. Hobson’s choice and all that you know. And then one morning, I woke up and saw the LIGHT… Now I’m SAVED from spending hard earned money on fossil fuels. Hallelujah!

Let's hope your EV LIGHT keeps running well, eh.....😉

• Confused 1