EV Charging Stations (CS)

KhunLA

If heading southbound, further than Hua Hin (1 hour N of us), to Phuket, here's a ball park idea of what to expect, CS wise.

There a few in between HH and us (PKK municipality), only 100 kms.  More than a few, Krung Thep to HH.

Our little outing last week, 4 overnight locations from 1 to 4 nights, so a long week.  I think we charged up,  about 5 times, from as little as 20% to 60% added.  All 30 mins or less, while being pre-occupied.  About 200 kms knocking around where we overnighted.

image.png.976d1260d072293ded43f7eef63fd8de.png

More CSs, as I filter the vendors that we actually use.  No stretch without a CS was more than 100 kms. 

354530579_118749661246401_4310872979608896384_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed a new EV charger in the carpark of Tesco in Thalang, Phuket this morning.

On closer inspection, it appears to be INTERVIM - never heard of that before.

Looks like DC and a smaller, separate AC. Both cordoned off and not in use yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

Noticed a new EV charger in the carpark of Tesco in Thalang, Phuket this morning.

On closer inspection, it appears to be INTERVIM - never heard of that before.

Looks like DC and a smaller, separate AC. Both cordoned off and not in use yet.

Same here, yesterday as a matter of fact.  Took couple snaps, and not operational yet.

Untitled.png

• Thumbs Up 1

"ALTERVIM, CP Group's new electric vehicle charging station with a capacity of 150kW, has started testing, targeting 100 stations by 2023."

Altervim

App an AppleStore & Gplay

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

EV Station Plus (PTT) has increased off peak price to 5.5 baht/kWh. Coupled with the stupid reservation system and maximum charge time of 55 mins per session, you won’t find me charging at PTT any time soon 

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Thumbs Up 2

Drove to Khao Lak yesterday to check out a bunch of hotels for an upcoming stay. In one of the hotels I came across another new charging point that I hadn't heard of before. This one is a little unusual:

It's called Pupaplug by PEA. It is a rather Mickey Mouse looking set up (although I'm sure it works perfectly well). A plain white box mounted on a post which, when opened, revealed a small unit with a standard domestic 220v socket in it. Obviously just for granny charging, using your own granny charger device supplied with EVs .

There was two of them.

So, this appears to be a way for hotels to charge you for the power you use to charge your car, rather than let you plug into a convenient socket somewhere about the premises for free - which the vast majority of hotels will allow you to do if they don't have charging stations. No idea of the unit price.

The hotel reception knew next to nothing about it but, from what I can gather, you scan the unit and pay in advance electronically for a fixed amount of juice. Something like that.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, Gweiloman said:

EV Station Plus (PTT) has increased off peak price to 5.5 baht/kWh. Coupled with the stupid reservation system and maximum charge time of 55 mins per session, you won’t find me charging at PTT any time soon 

Found out what you meant today, and agree, that is one stupid way to run a CS.  Can't see that working, as who would bother.  That's some silly bad marketing idea.

Sticking with MG & PEA.  Haven't tried an EA Anywhere.

Shame PTT/EV Station Pluz did that, as they were actually our 1st choice, since all the vendors there.  Picked up a couple items at PTT/7-11, popped over the the PEA CS, all of 1.5 kms away, food still hot and a quick top up to 80%, actually done before we were ready to go ... and off we went.

Actually had a McD where the PEA CS was, that's a first.  Glad we had 7-11 munchies with us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/16/2023 at 9:09 PM, Gweiloman said:

My personal favourite is Elexa which are 125 kWh chargers (even though my PHEV can only take 47 max). Only downside with Elexa is no off peak rates and the PT stations are rather pathetic 

Thanks for that, as see why you like.  Just registered myself.  Like the ability to unplug before paying, with 3 payment options.  

If in Ranong area ... this stop was great, while using Elex, decent pastry & coffee, though ice cream/sorbet section sucked.

Manason Cafe

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks for that, as see why you like.  Just registered myself.  Like the ability to unplug before paying, with 3 payment options.  

If in Ranong area ... this stop was great, while using Elex, decent pastry & coffee, though ice cream/sorbet section sucked.

Manason Cafe

Elexa should introduce off peak rates like PTT and PEA. They will then have more customers during off peak hours.

PTT needs to add a couple of additional chargers on a first come first charge basis at their stations without the need for reservation and without having to reboot at 55 mins to the hour.

PEAS should roll out more 125 kWh chargers rather than the rather slow 50 kWh chargers they currently have.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another CS vendor to consider, Altervim @ Lotus's.  Seems like a good place to kill time, at Lotus's mall (KFC, Swensen's) ????

May give a test run today, since Swensen's Tues, 2 for 1, though I think the car is @ 100% now.

I registered, without any request of ID #, and payment via app via CC, which I have NOT entered the wife's CC # yet.

Wife's CC was used with my Elex app CS, and worked fine

Could not find app of GPlay on laptop, but did find on phone ... hmm

Dual authorize code sent to phone & email provided ????

image.png.1c1d72749c5e5a70e79351b8320152ca.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.altervim.econnect&fbclid=IwAR13am_5oC0wb6iu_B5NReAcVNhg7rkB5Ni9hokDAyvphqwmTIhY_x0aFhw

Edited by KhunLA

• 1 month later...

More than enough CS out there.  Taking short trip, up to Krung Thep and back.   Will charge twice, once adding about 60% (20-80%) and another adding 30% (20-50%).   

These are filtered down to DC/fast charging & must have 1 type of plug.

image.png.b6bfc39a2dda10e4e4d437d592786bd1.png

• 2 weeks later...

A typical trip up to Krung Thep for us, last week to visit daughter.  On a Saturday, just an overnight, and headed back to PKK on Sunday.  With overnight pitstop @ Phetchaburi.

Left house at 100%, traveled 232 kms (w/101 km reserve) before using CS.  PEA @ Bangchak, for 41 mins, going from 29% to 87%, with off peak rate of ฿5.3 / kWh (฿162.82/30.72 kWh).  Getting about 333 kms per full charge at highway speeds, IF staying at highway speed, which the rest of the trip was not, so actually more.  Note the WLTP range rating is only 320 kms, so once again, exceeded that at highway speeds.

We drive at speed limit / 90 - 110 when available, and averaged 85 kph over the first leg of highway driving, hwy #4 & #35.  Topped up earlier than usual, as we/me, wife & dog, all had to pee, and starting to get hungry.  Left at 87% as while there, an Atto 3 used the other machine, and as we returned to the car, another MG pulled in, and so not to wait, we stopped/unplugged and departed.  Since not needing any more.

We charged up again, at pretty much the same area on the return, and just enough to get back home with 20% taking advantage of our solar to top up again.

image.png.9a69183e7d2817e87de210c62270e123.png

image.png.8a7f7bb14d33803cc32e7a11d67bd924.png

Back home @ 20% :laugh:

image.png.fcca5b5fba29f5fff09c21131ee6491b.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

On 10/3/2023 at 11:21 AM, KhunLA said:

Another CS vendor to consider, Altervim @ Lotus's.  Seems like a good place to kill time, at Lotus's mall (KFC, Swensen's) ????

May give a test run today, since Swensen's Tues, 2 for 1, though I think the car is @ 100% now.

I registered, without any request of ID #, and payment via app via CC, which I have NOT entered the wife's CC # yet.

Wife's CC was used with my Elex app CS, and worked fine

Could not find app of GPlay on laptop, but did find on phone ... hmm

Dual authorize code sent to phone & email provided ????

image.png.1c1d72749c5e5a70e79351b8320152ca.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.altervim.econnect&fbclid=IwAR13am_5oC0wb6iu_B5NReAcVNhg7rkB5Ni9hokDAyvphqwmTIhY_x0aFhw

What/how many payment options does the app offer?  Just debit/credit card or others like maybe also QR code, etc.?  Thanks.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:36 AM, Gweiloman said:

PTT needs to add a couple of additional chargers on a first come first charge basis at their stations without the need for reservation and without having to reboot at 55 mins to the hour.

what does it mean with regards to reboot at 55 hours to the hour.

i thought it was what you use kWh ( energy usage 5.5 baht ) that is amount you pay.

IMG_3002.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

what does it mean with regards to reboot at 55 hours to the hour.

i thought it was what you use kWh ( energy usage 5.5 baht ) that is amount you pay.

IMG_3002.jpeg

Since I wrote that post, I believe PTT has changed its time slots from hourly to half hourly so I don’t know if the current system is different from before.

What I meant was that when you are charging at a EV Station Pluz at a PTT, regardless of the time you started charging, the charger will automatically stop charging at 5 mins to the hour, for eg, 10:55, 14:55 etc. I believe this is due in part to the booking system, meaning someone might have booked the charger for 11:00 or 15:00 in the examples above. 

If no one has booked it, you can restart a new charging session at 11:00 / 15:00. You will still pay for the amount of energy you used, regardless of the time spent.

Hope this makes sense.

H

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

The booking system is indeed now for 27 minute sessions....starts on the hour/half hour and will end 27 minutes later "if", repeat, if there is a booking for the upcoming next time slot.  But if there is no booking for the upcoming booking time slot the charging session will not be interrupted/stopped like it supposedly use to be, but will continue on.   This according to the google translated webpage below....and also by my experience yesterday.  This makes sense as it allows the charging station to continue to make money during that 3 minute period and also makes the current customer happier as they don't have to restart the session.

Yesterday when I lost my DC Fast Charger use cherry when I used a PTT EV Station Pluz charger for the first time (as a brief test) as a "walk-in," the EV Station Pluz transaction history/receipt shows I started the charging session at 9:27:49 and ended it a 9:31:50 hours....right during that 3 minutes down session between booking.  But since there was no booking for the 9:30 to 9:57 session and also no booking for the previous 9:00-9:27 session the charger let me charge during the down period between any bookings.   

And I remember when the charging started a "brief" message appeared at the bottom of the phone screen indicating I could continue my charging for 2 hours and something....and then within a few seconds the message faded away.   I should have looked at the booking schedule to see if that 2 hours and something period was due to maybe the next booking being 2 hours and something down the road....but I didn't look because I was too busy figuring out first time use of the app/charging station.  But this did make me think a person's charging session will not automatically be interrupted every 30 minutes "if" there is no booking for the next time slot.  Now my brief test was purely just a test to see that my EV Plus registration and payment option really worked.   

Yea, apparently whether there are any upcoming bookings determines if a person's charging session would be interrupted after 27 minutes and how long it could continue uninterrupted.  And if there was a booking for the next session "if", repeat, if you had that session booked would the EV Station Pluz recognized the vehicle currently being charged and is also the same vehicle booked for the next session and "maybe" would not interrupt the session for 3 minutes---I don't know.

See Notes at bottom of below snapshot.

https://www.ev-roads.com/content/33712/แอปฯ-ev-station-pluz-เวอร์ชั่นใหม่เพิ่ม-3-ฟีเจอร์-ระบบชาร์จต่อเนื่อง-ระบบ-booking-และอัพเกรด-map-ใหม่-

image.png.9a5001519b205295ccb1209b2266a08f.png

Our latest O&A was a 'drive up' at PTT using EV Station Pluz (EV SP), and not issues plugging in.  On a Saturday afternoon, no Q.   AND ... machine didn't reset at 55 mins after the hour.    Thankfully they did away with that silliness.  We never reserve at EV SP.  

Only reserve, occasionally, at MG & PEA Volta, depending on location of.  And only about 10 minutes before arrival, no fees involved to reserve.

One thing did happen at EV SP last visit, as I went to P, and stretch legs, after it started charging.   Cam back and inside car was warmer than expected, so check why & progress of charging, and it had stopped .... "Honey, you didn't notice that ?" 🙄  Simply restarted it.   Don't know if it was reserved and nobody showed, or machine just had an oops.

• Like 1

Wow , good information about that the reboot and booking time  slot . Thanks everyone

2 hours ago, Pib said:

a person's charging session will not automatically be interrupted every 30 minutes "if" there is no booking for the next time slot.

Good to know that my charging can be stopped if there was someone who booked in the next time slot . 

in your case , if there was a booking in the 9:30 slot 

you started at 9:27 . You would only have 3 minutes charge ..

so in this case , a booking would be ideal to avoid to be bump after 3 minutes 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Heads up ...

MG ZS & PEA Volta, don't seem to be playing nice.  Have used PEA many times, no issues, but last 2 times, car wasn't ready to drive, and had to wait for it to 'reset', which is no big deal, and only took a few minutes.   MG dealer said 'drive' won't initiate if battery is warmer than usual.   

Issue if someone is waiting to plug in, as Q'd and now have to wait a couple more minutes.   My issue is, heat not the best friend of batteries, so will only be using as last resort, pretty much never, in the future.

Any other MGs or other make/models having the same issue ?

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Heads up ...

MG ZS & PEA Volta, don't seem to be playing nice.  Have used PEA many times, no issues, but last 2 times, car wasn't ready to drive, and had to wait for it to 'reset', which is no big deal, and only took a few minutes.   MG dealer said 'drive' won't initiate if battery is warmer than usual.   

Issue if someone is waiting to plug in, as Q'd and now have to wait a couple more minutes.   My issue is, heat not the best friend of batteries, so will only be using as last resort, pretty much never, in the future.

Nope, used a PEA Volta this morning in Hua Hin .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Heads up ...

Don't understand your statement of ".....car wasn't ready to drive..."

I used PEA Volta with my BYD Atto seven times in January (most of them brief tests of a few minutes) and two times in December (once again two brief tests) with no problems.  In each case there was no queuing....I just drove right up to the charger and began charging.   In fact, with Autocharge now setup I just plug the connector into the Atto and after around 30 to 45 seconds with zero use of the Volta app or pushing any button on the charger the charging begins.

Edited by Pib

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Don't understand your statement of ".....car wasn't ready to drive..."

I used PEA Volta with my BYD Atto seven times in January (most of them brief tests of a few minutes) and two times in December (once again two brief tests) with no problems.  In each case there was no queuing....I just drove right up to the charger and began charging.   In fact, with Autocharge now setup I just plug the connector into the Atto and after around 30 to 45 seconds with zero use of the Volta app or pushing any button on the charger the charging begins.

Car 'starts' and all accessible (accessories; AC, etc), but when engage 'drive'... NO

On MG, has pop in odometer/info area, states 'READY' ,  but instead, states battery bla bla bla, or something, but not 'ready' and drive or reverse won't engage.  wait <5 mins and all is fine.

We've used PEA at least 20 times prior, and no issues.  No issues with any other vendors; MG, EV Station Pluz, Elexa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Car 'starts' and all accessible (accessories; AC, etc), but when engage 'drive'... NO

On MG, has pop in odometer/info area, states 'READY' ,  but instead, states battery bla bla bla, or something, but not 'ready' and drive or reverse won't engage.  wait <5 mins and all is fine.

We've used PEA at least 20 times prior, and no issues.  No issues with any other vendors; MG, EV Station Pluz, Elexa

OK, I think I understand now....this happens "right after you complete a charge using a PEA charger?"

I wonder if the PEA charger "communications" is confusing the car....making the car think the battery is too warm but really it's not.  If it was really too warm even after a car reset the car should sense the battery temperature as being too warm "if it really was too warm.  About the only way to get a better idea is to use some non-PEA chargers (e.g., PTT, EA Anywhere, etc) to see if you can duplicate the issue.  Issues like this can all too often be a pain to narrow down.

• Agree 1