85 yr old Cancer patient waits 7 hours in the rain for an Ambulance !

An 85-year-old cancer patient was forced to wait for seven hours in the rain for an ambulance despite living just yards from a hospital.

Keith Royles broke his hip while cutting the lawn at home in the village of Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire.

His family called 999 but were told they would have to wait between four and seven hours even though the local hospital is directly opposite his home.

Photos released on Tuesday showed Mr Royles covered with a tarpaulin and an umbrella placed over his head to keep the rain off during the agonising wait.

His daughter Tina Royles said “the system is broken”, adding that it “must be so frustrating and heart-breaking” for staff working in the NHS.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

So the Labour run govt in Wales are no better the Tory run govt at running the NHS. 

Funding is set by Westminster and distributed according to the Barnett Formula.

NHS Wales is, like all UK NHS, underfunded.

However tens of millions of pounds is available for direction through the NHS to Government Chums.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

So the Labour run govt in Wales are no better the Tory run govt at running the NHS. 

How can they be, when the money allocated to the NHS in Wales comes from England?  They can't improve it if England does not increase the budget for it.  I would have though that was obvious. 

Edited by jak2002003

42 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How can they be, when the money allocated to the NHS in Wales comes from England?  They can't improve it if England does not increase the budget for it.  I would have though that was obvious. 

That is quite quick, some people in England have waited two and a half days for an ambulance 

Patients wait two and a half days for an ambulance as NHS crisis deepens

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/05/patients-wait-two-half-days-ambulance-nhs-crisis-deepens/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

No excuses bad management.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

What? Lol. 

So with better 'management' they can afford to buy more ambulances, trained nurses and medical equipment to go with them?   Does need any money?  

Nothing to lol about, You forgot efficiency.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess walking across the street and grabbing a gurney and an intern was beyond anyone's thought process.

Beyond that, I would have called police, said 'officer down, GSW, @ said address' ????

Simple solutions to simple problems ????

• Thumbs Up 1

How did the family know he'd broken his hip?

Why did they leave him outside?

Why couldn't they take him ti hospital as it is only yards from their home?

85 years old with cancer, why didn't a family member cut the grass? They should be taking care of him.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, puchooay said:

85 years old with cancer, why didn't a family member cut the grass? They should be taking care of him.

You have explained the situation fairly it's just anti govt media hype. 

Shortages of staff will just make it worse.

My daughter what'sapp me after I told her about this story. 

She said although it's sad what happened it would not be considered an emergency. 

Because of the shortage of ambulance crews tough decision have to be made. 

My daughter then told me they were called out on an emergency and it turned out to be a 22 year old woman not having any transport to attend her hospital appointment. ????

On 12/10/2022 at 10:39 PM, puchooay said:

I broke my hip in a cycle racing accident.

Firstly, a broken hip leaves absolutely no doubt of its existence in the victim or anyone who tries to move the victim.

Secondly, moving someone with a broken hip is extremely difficult and even when done by trained ambulance crews causes extreme pain to the victim.

Allowing 85 year olds to remain active is ‘taking care of them’.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, Kwasaki said:

You have explained the situation fairly it's just anti govt media hype. 

Shortages of staff will just make it worse.

My daughter what'sapp me after I told her about this story. 

She said although it's sad what happened it would not be considered an emergency. 

Because of the shortage of ambulance crews tough decision have to be made. 

My daughter then told me they were called out on an emergency and it turned out to be a 22 year old woman not having any transport to attend her hospital appointment. ????

The fact that there were no ambulances available does not determine if an 85 year old with a broken hip is an emergency.

I’m quite certain your daughter would consider it an emergency if she were laid on the floor with a broken hip.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The fact that there were no ambulances available does not determine if an 85 year old with a broken hip is an emergency.

I’m quite certain your daughter would consider it an emergency if she were laid on the floor with a broken hip.

You be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you ever break your hip you’ll realize how right I am.

If there is no other complications other than the broke hip it is not an emergency.

I have experienced pain and life threatening pain on many occasions.

Edited by Kwasaki

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Allowing 85 year olds to remain active is ‘taking care of them’.

I am very aware of that. Part of my job is to promote health and independence with older people.

However, there is taking care and being reckless

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you ever break your hip you’ll get all the evidence you need, and then some.

Stay lucky.

Oh. Sorry. Can I have evidence to substantiate your claim.

Maybe a link?

You yourself have said many times that personal experience or personal opinion doesn't cut it.

Just now, puchooay said:

Oh. Sorry. Can I have evidence to substantiate your claim.

Maybe a link?

You yourself have said many times that personal experience or personal opinion doesn't cut it.

Oh sorry, I didn’t realize you’re still sore about that.

Here’s how it works.

A statement relating to something that happened to the person making the statement is a ‘personal experience’, the veracity of which is only as good as the reputation of the person making the statement but is of little consequence since the only person impacted is the person making the statement.

If however a somebody makes a statement regarding the behavior, actions or motives of somebody else then they  need to back it up with proof. This is especially so where the statement is a gross pejorative generalization.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

If however a somebody makes a statement regarding the behavior, actions or motives of somebody else then they  need to back it up with proof. This is especially so where the statement is a gross pejorative generalization

You said, with regards to a broken hip:

"Firstly, a broken hip leaves absolutely no doubt of its existence in the victim or anyone who tries to move the victim."

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If however a somebody makes a statement regarding the behavior, actions or motives of somebody else then they  need to back it up with proof. This is especially so where the statement is a gross pejorative generalization.

Then you said this. Evidence please.