January 6 committee considers criminal referrals for at least 4 others besides Trump

Scott

image.png

The House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection is considering criminal referrals for at least four individuals in addition to former President Donald Trump, multiple sources told CNN.

The panel is weighing criminal referrals for former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, right wing lawyer John Eastman, former Justice Department official Jeffrey Clark and Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani, the sources said.

The committee has not officially decided whom to refer to the Justice Department for prosecution and for what offenses, sources said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/08/politics/january-6-committee-criminal-referrals/index.html

CNN.jpg

Snappy headlines but............

While the criminal referrals would largely be symbolic in nature – as the DOJ has already undertaken a sprawling investigation into the US Capitol attack and efforts to overturn the 2020 election – committee members have stressed that the move serves as a way to document their views for the record.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

A Democrat Party report (full of half-truths and speculation) that half the country will ignore; and that will get a fine-tooth going over by the relevant House committees in the next Congress. 

You make it sound like the Republicans in the House have it all in order and they certainly do not.  They're in total disarray.  They don't even know who their Speaker will be.  My bet is on Liz Cheney.....5555 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You make it sound like the Republicans in the House have it all in order and they certainly do not.  They're in total disarray.  They don't even know who their Speaker will be.  My bet is on Liz Cheney.....5555 

Liz lost in the election. I'd like to see how you think she can be speaker, or do they not have to be sitting members of Congress?

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

So what? They are not Democrats, so that's all right then. It'll get sorted eventually.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Liz lost in the election. I'd like to see how you think she can be speaker, or do they not have to be sitting members of Congress?

5555....thought you would know that the Speaker does not have to be a member of Congress.  That's why Trump's name has been brought up as potential Speaker.  You should also know that all members will be voting for Speaker, not just the majority.  So technically, a Democrat could be Speaker if the Republicans don't get their act together. 

Just now, Berkshire said:

5555....thought you would know that the Speaker does not have to be a member of Congress.  That's why Trump's name has been brought up as potential Speaker.  You should also know that all members will be voting for Speaker, not just the majority.  So technically, a Democrat could be Speaker if the Republicans don't get their act together. 

OK, but why would I know that? I'm not American and in the British parliamentary system the speaker is from the ruling party.

I looked it up. Bolding is mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

The Constitution does not require the speaker to be an incumbent member of the House of Representatives, although every speaker thus far has been.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, but why would I know that? I'm not American and in the British parliamentary system the speaker is from the ruling party.

I looked it up. Bolding is mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

The Constitution does not require the speaker to be an incumbent member of the House of Representatives, although every speaker thus far has been.

Do not use bold. I recently noticed it is against the rules. 

21 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'd take that bet ????

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Dems aren't concerned. Unlike the Jan 6 riots, any BLM riots they like to investigate weren't to overthrow an election or anything to do with the dems. All that could be uncovered would a crime of some sort which wouldn't be political.

The police have already charged hundreds of rioters anyway so there's really nothing to see here except right wing conspiracy theories.

I hope they have a commission into pizzagate to own the libs once and for all ????

Uturn out of the rabbit hole.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Exactly...many of these witnesses will be facing perjury investigations by the next House ???? 

That would be great! I can imagine Republicans investigating other Republicans about perjury for declaring that elections were not rigged! 

I would like to watch Barr: "Mr Barr did you commit a perjury when you told Trump that elections have not been rigged?" Barr: "That's B.S.!" ????

• Like 1