Japan, Britain and Italy plan sixth-generation fighter jet to rival world’s most-advanced warplanes

webfact

image.jpeg
An artist's impression of what the sixth-generation fighter aircraft by Italy, Japan and the UK might look like. Torsakarin/Japan Ministry of Defense

By Brad Lendon, CNN

CNN — The United Kingdom, Japan and Italy announced Friday they are teaming up to build a sixth-generation fighter jet, designed to rival or eclipse the best warplanes now employed by the likes of China and Russia – and possibly even the United States, the main ally of the trio.

“We are announcing the Global Combat Air Program (GCAP) – an ambitious endeavour to develop a next-generation fighter aircraft by 2035,” British, Japanese and Italian leaders said in a joint statement.

The leaders’ statement did not mention China or Russia by name, but said the new fighter jet is needed because “threats and aggression are increasing” against the “rules-based, free and open international order.”

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/09/asia/japan-uk-italy-new-fighter-plane-deal-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright CNN 2022-12-10
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Italy will contribute technology wherein the jet will fly over countries and remotely change macine voting ballot results within the Russian block.

Brittain will make sure targeting will be the EU.

Japan will have the aircraft fly at 100,000 feet at Mach 6 so as to avoid any conflict.

Just joking of course with these unlikey partners.

One of the current best fighters is the Eruo Typhoon built by Brittain, Italy Spain and Germany. Hard to understand why this manufacturing partnership will be dissolved.

But the Japanese has shun the US (who has significant stealth flight and beyond-the-horizon missile technologies) to sign the cooperative agreement with the aforementioned two nations.

Note that the three-nation jointly developed aircraft would be ready by 2035. ?!? Coincidentally about the same timetable for China's 6th generation aircraft.

Dec. 9, 2022

asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relationshps/

Meanwhile the US is testing its sixth generation NGAD fighter now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9athiAiAlk

The US has just rolled out its next generation B-21 Raider stealth bomber. Available 2027.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCvxlwLr7s

1 hour ago, rwill said:

It seems the real future will be with drones.

Maybe they are planning for these fighter jets to not hold human pilots. It takes a fair amount of weight to host a life support system. And maneuverability is limited by what the human body can endure.. It seems that AI would be a natural fit for piloting purposes. (Cue the horror scenarios about AI controlled weapons)

Modern jets don't do dogfights. They shoot missiles over the horizon. It isn't Hollywood stunts like Top Gun.

Britain. or rather, the UK (not Brittain) is quite capable of creating new planes but it would have been nice if the story had differentiated more between 5th and 6th generation planes might have helped. Pilotless aircraft does make more sense though.

17 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I just hope only Italy and Japan are in charge of cuisine served on board or there will be a major failure. 

Warplanes don't have meals on board , theres no trolley dolly bringing food and refreshments around for the pilot/ passengers . the pilots would eat before the flight and not have dinner aboard 

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Warplanes don't have meals on board , theres no trolley dolly bringing food and refreshments around for the pilot/ passengers . the pilots would eat before the flight and not have dinner aboard 

Yes, Alex8912 was definitely serious when he made that post. No one could possibly doubt that.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

LOL , and you thought that I posted seriously and that I wasn't also joking ?

Ha ha 

I don't think you understand humour if you think the first post had a 

'joking' tone...

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ha ha 

I was thinking perhaps British humor. Or Humour ???? But it could have been funny to get your point across.

Edited by alex8912

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ha ha 

Sure, you were. That's why your post was the kind the would be written by someone without a sense of humor. Just a plain statement of facts. I believe you. Honestly, I do.